Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you love food???

Okay, we've talked all around the food thing in other threads so let's just get it front and center and see where this thing goes.

Please don't tell me that I'm the only one, but I really love to eat. I'm beginning to wonder if one of the reasons I ride is to burn more calories so I can take in more calories.

I'm 6 ft 1 in with a "slight to medium" frame. I weighed 155 lbs in High School & left college 4 yrs later around 160-165 lbs. I was fairly active playing basketball and other sports until my early 40's and my weight was around 175-180. The 40's were horribly cruel-by the time I was 47/48 I had hit an all time high of 220 lbs and was very inactive. For some strange reason I started riding and over an 18 mos to 2 year period I had lost 50 lbs. Now my weight is around 170 lbs in the summer but creeps up a few pounds this time of year.

My goal this winter has been to ride enough to keep my weight from ballooning so I don't have to work quite as hard to get the pounds off for the spring/summer cycling season. I'm not obsessed with a lower weight, but I do very much enjoy the benefits when doing rides in the mountains. I've found that even a few pounds can make a big difference in the effort required to keep up with groups or climb those darn hills.

The challenge for me is that I just love to eat. I don't have any real food favorites but certainly anything chocolate gets my attention. Fortunately I've been able to develop routines that help me control the intake but it takes work--even after several years of being more disciplined it takes continued work and discipline.

I knew this was top of mind for me as today I suited up and went out and rode about 40 miles solo in the pouring rain with temps in the 40's--I guess just to burn some calories. It really wasn't all that bad riding in the rain except I kept asking myself what in the heck was I doing out there??

Well, please tell me that I'm not alone when it comes to the food thing-that there are others that enjoy a really good meal as well.

Coyote!
    You're not alone. Your story is familiar. . .high school quarter-miler at 163 pounds. . .active all the way to 55 years. . .now 187. . .205 at one point. I'm in a life-long battle with my belly. Thing is, the biking, hiking, running, weights [ugh to the indoor exercise] are a part of my way of life so God knoiw how fat I'd be without it.

My Bikes
    Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! I ride to eat.

Our stories sound pretty familiar. When I graduated high school, I hiked the Appalachian Trail... eating my way from Georgia to Maine. I weighed about 135lbs when I got done with that. Unfortunately, that endeavor taught me that I could eat like the pig that I am and never gain weight.

I rode well into my 20s and stayed fit. I got a desk job in my 30s and by my mid forties I was pretty tubby at 220 and very out of shape.

I started eating better and riding a little bit in late 2004, took the winter off. And started again in ernest in 2005. I went from 210 to 185.

And the best part is, I can still eat like a pig and not gain weight... maybe even lose a pound or two!

So you're not alone. Scuze me while I go make a sandwich and then go for my second ride today!

Az

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, gawd, do I love to eat.

But, only all the bad things. Pizza, ice cream, candy, burgers, you name it, I love it.

So, I made a deal with myself. A couple of days a week, I let myself indulge. The rest of the week, I eat foods that are nutritious. Last night, I took my family and a couple of my kid's friends to Japanese food. And, later, I ate a big piece of pumpkin pie loaded with whipped cream. It really wasn't that bad for me and psychologically I don't feel deprived. Well, my wallet feels deprived. Dang, Japanese for eight comes to a hefty bill.

So, I'm all set for a better day today. Actually, I love avocados and there are a few of those on the kitchen counter. If I have any cravings, I'll eat an avocado with some chopped onion and maybe a banana. If I really feel my sweet tooth acting up, I'll get a low-fat frozen yogurt and add some almonds. I'll be indulging to a small extent, but not really blowing it.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to talk about this at all. Denial is more than a river in Egypt.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - after nine months and more than 2,000 miles in the saddle, i weighed myself yesterday:

- net gain of five pounds!

arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

- and tonight:

flank steak marinated in Italian salad dressing, then grilled six minutes per side on the BBQ (beef flounder!), along with a half a bag salad... (i'll skip the Cuban baguette tonight)

- perhaps i should cut back to only a 6-pack in the evening and up the mileage?

:-)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I'm back.

My story: 5'10" and I wrestled in high school at 138 pounds (same height). Before I got back into biking I weighed... gulp...267 pounds (same height). Roughly double the weight.

I quickly lost between 12-17 pounds as a result of cycling, but it's platt-owed there. I can't spell plateau. I love to eat. I love milk, cookies, cereal, bread, etc. I love fast food, but I've cut way back on that, thank goodness.

I have changed my diet somewhat, but apparantly, not nearly enough. I've never been able to eat five servings of fruits and veggies a day. I love to eat.

As a result of cycling, and the modest weight loss, my face looks thinner, but my six-pack abs more closely resemble a keg.

What's for lunch?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    + for food. I have a similar story to the rest of you so there's no sense adding, but our goals are all the same. My problem is winter riding here north of the 49th limits some trails and the roads are torture on the bike with the salt and grit. I can keep the weight in check and loose some when the riding is good but once the end of Oct comes the reduced daylight only allows weekend rides unless I can sneak out of work early.
    I do have a heart rate monitor, the best use for it is to see how many calories I burned on my ride so I can decide how I want to treat myself. It may sound counter productive but if I didn't ride I'd probably eat the treat anyway. More miles less guilt.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Do you love food?" is the title of the thread. Let's see, I just left the dinner table where my wife prepared Ziti with tomato sauce, all beef meatballs cooked in olive oil and garlic, turkey sausage with fennel seed and cut salad served with Italian dressing. Yea, I like food. Unfortunately, it doesn't just visit and leave, it stays on me like a boring relative.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Please don't tell me that I'm the only one, but I really love to eat. I'm beginning to wonder if one of the reasons I ride is to burn more calories so I can take in more calories.
    While I wouldn't say I specifically ride to eat, I sure take advantage of the calories I've burned with a good meal the evening after a ride. Sometimes, I can almost taste the pizza at the end of the ride

No, you're not alone!

Steve

MMMMMMMM... Pecan Pie! Caramel...

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nine years ago when I first started riding I was about 215 lbs. I'm 6' tall. I lost weight at first but I was hungry a lot and ate what I wanted. When I quit riding in the fall I gained cause I didn't slow down eating. I was on the typical see-food diet.
    Pizza, Pepsi and chocolate are my favorite food groups.
    But I have lost a little weight, just about the time I usually gain a far amount. I am currently at 208. I read about this diet that says eat anything you want, but only eat if you're hungry. Then eat slowly. You won't lose a lot of weight fast, but you can still have anything you want. I've found many times I eat just out of habit and I'm not hungry. I figure if I can change just this and ride fairly regularly then I'll probably do okay with my weight.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I'm the only one but I get no 'pleasure' from food. It is only a means of fueling myself. Wish i could do with out it. I compare intake on the same order as output. A biological need that the body must meet. Has caused many a problem with Spouse especially as she likes to eat out. I find it a total waste of time and expecsive - an hr to wait, be seated, take order, blah blah blah. Must admit, have a medical condition that causes much discomfort with overeating and/or any Hint of spices. Haven't even eaten Pizza in years. Must admit though - fresh bread is close to enjoyment as I can get.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always loved to eat. For most of my years, I didn't put on weight. At 52, I was only 10 pounds or so overweight, at 190. My secret? Nicotine. It turns out my cigar smoking was the main thing keeping the weight off. By the time I turned 52, though, I had emphysema.

I quit the cigars, and gained 25 pounds in three months. The bicycle only took about 10 pounds of that off, until I adjusted my diet. I still eat a lot, but I eat healthier, and I again weigh 190. I do realize, though, that if I quit or cut down on the cycling, the pounds would jump back on.

Since I love both the cycling and the eating, I'll just keep on with both.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can never resist chips and queso

My Bikes
    Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not so concerned about the scales report as I am the mirror review. After 3 weeks of my 22 mile round trip commute I thought I discovered my legs were swollen. They weren't. The muscles were building.

This last week, the headwinds were brutal all five days. Friday night when I got home a hunger wave set in and I had been eating all day. Saturday, I felt like I had run marathons back to back. Today I feel much better and tomorrow, forcasts are for more wind. My flab is going away, my weight is staying about the same.

My Bikes
    Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do enjoy eating - especially my dinner. I suspect that being active makes one enjoy/appreciate food more.

When I try to lose weight I'm real tough with myself. I eat well during the week - normal breakfast, light lunch + normal dinner. I treat myself at weekends.

I'm 5'11" and when I left college I weighed 120 (skinny) - I'm now 165 (most ever was 185). My ideal weight is about 150 given my build.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Well, please tell me that I'm not alone when it comes to the food thing-that there are others that enjoy a really good meal as well.
    Pass the gallon of ice cream, please.

Oops, sorry there is none left for anyone else!

I think loving to eat means you are a very passionate person!

I pity those "emotionally impaired folks" who can control their "appetites."
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-22-06 at 07:32 AM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I pity those "emotionally impaired folks" who can control their "appetites."
    I surely will admit to many big appetites. - Food is just not in that group.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love good food. Good thing I have always been an active person that exercises regularly. I'm almost exactly the same size as when I graduated from HS.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are certain cultures that have world famous food recognition. Mine is Cantonese. So here are some of my favorites: deep fried talapia fish in a ginger, onion, soy sauce; lobster Cantonese; minced oysters in a lettuce wrap; Peking duck; winter melon soup with herbs; roast pork (baby suckling); Chinese broccoli in oyster sauce; all kinds of dim sum;

By the way if you're in So Calif, the San Gabriel Valley is recognized as the world's center for the new Chinese cooking, the Asian Fusion, the Chinois Nouveau. The chefs are from China but come to America to exercise their artistic intuition and money of course.

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My big downfall is Mexican food. Grease, salt, spices, carbs, meat, cheese... what's not to like? Unfortunately, conventional Mexican food is really fattening and helped get me up to 278lbs (currently at 249).

I talked to a nutritionist who explained that I *can* eat Mexican food, but I have to make it myself.

So, I buy beans (black and pinto), whole wheat tortillas (ugly but taste good), brown rice (which I actually like better than white rice, both flavor and texture). I make fresh salsa from tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh chiles and cilantro.

I also buy those big bags of individually frozen "chicken tenders".

I can make really good burritos with that stuff, and it's still low fat and low sodium, and the carbs that are in there are good carbs.

I also stir-fry vegetables and chicken and have that over some brown rice, again, quite tasty and nutritious.

All that (plus commuting via bicycle 12 miles a day) is helping me to lose weight, keep my type II diabetes in check, and lower my blood pressure.

Once a week I'll let myself have a little ice cream or a fattening meal, but the rest of the time I'm pretty good about sticking to foods like I described above. I want to get down to 200lbs, and I think I have a chance of success.

What's for sure though is that I can't eat just whatever I want anytime I want. 55 years of doing that has made me into a tub-o-lard, and I want to change that.
    ---

San Francisco, California

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of the fortunate ones. 5'6" and 145/150 lbs. Have actually put on around 10 lbs in the last 10 years. Not a big eater, but I do love my food. You name it and I'll eat it but not over keen on fish. Daft thing is, If I put on 5lbs- I know it. I feel sluggish and really do not feel like riding, and then if I go mad to get my weight down to 140- I am so tired with the extra exercise that all I want to do is sleep.

Everyone has a weight that they want. I would love to get back to my fighting weight of 30 years ago of 126lbs. Only thing is if I did- I wouldn't have the strength to carry the bikes over the stiles and fences on our rides.

UKMTK. Same weight as you so If If you are the ideal weight for Your height, then so am I. Only thing is- I am 5" too short. That puts a different slant on it. Heightism!!!.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh... I figure the next time I'll weigh 140 lbs is about a month after they bury me.
    ---

San Francisco, California

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Louisiana (home of Cajun, Creole, and lots of country cooking) I do love to eat. Here, dining is not only a necessity of life but also a cultural expectation. To refuse a lovingly prepared meal is considered poor manners.

The time has come, though, to alter my habits. I'll still reward myself with an occasional feast, but I'll just be more choosy about when and where. Once I'm at target weight, the changes in habits should have become unconsciously "normal." I hope so.