Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: cross bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cross bike

I'm looking at a '04 Fuji cross bike to satisfy my road and slight off road cravings - I have a mtb for those days when I want to hit the rough trails. I was looking at a road bike but then thought that the cross may be a little more suitable for gravel trails/roads where the road bike may not be ideal. Anyone with some personal experieince with the same idea or any thoughts on the bike?
    Trying to get as much bang for my little buck!

sdr
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't have any personal experience, per se, save to say that i was recently bitten by the "cross bug" myself.

recently, while in a LBS buying some cycling shorts, a salesperson and i started talking about the type of riding i had been doing and i happened to mention that i was leaning in the direction of a faster bike - big mistake!

the next thing i know he's showing me this bike made by specialized called a "tricross."
    click on link for pic: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12393 it was love at first sight!

so i, like you, am also looking for feedback in this area. at first blush i have to say that this bike, or something very similar, seems to be on the very near horizon for me. i'm currently riding a gary fisher hybrid, which i love, but my riding preferences are changing - i want to go further, faster!

*sdr*
    “You must be the change that you wish to see in the world” Gandhi

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jisaak
    ...more suitable for gravel trails/roads where the road bike may not be ideal...
    Bang for the buck in light-off-road spells HYBRID! Look at the Kona Dew line! If you go with a cross bike, you have a higher bottom bracket, lots more $$$ spent, and not significantly better performance, IMHO. Plus, the hybrid makes a better multi-purpose if you ever want to commute or light-tour.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Kona Jake the Snake for winter roads. love it!!!!!!!! A very fast bike.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jisaak
    I'm looking at a '04 Fuji cross bike to satisfy my road and slight off road cravings - I have a mtb for those days when I want to hit the rough trails. I was looking at a road bike but then thought that the cross may be a little more suitable for gravel trails/roads where the road bike may not be ideal. Anyone with some personal experieince with the same idea or any thoughts on the bike?
    Trying to get as much bang for my little buck!

We have a ride in the Uk that is hard for mountain bikes- 100 miles in one day off road. it is hard but a couple of years ago a cyclocross rider took part. This is a hard ride for bikes and they have to be up to it. Only thing the cyclocross rider had to do was have a backup crew to change wheel every 20 miles. Not for the wheels- Our southern Flints were damaging mountain tyres, and he was changing wheels to stop punctures. He managed it and in a respectable time. Only thing was, Like most of us, his one comment afterwards was "Never again"

If a cross bike can do this ride- then doing some less aggressive trails should be fun- instead of masochism.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have an old sport touring bike, Bridgestone RB-T. Stoutly lugged with bombproof Araya wheels. It's summer iteration (Winter its a drop bar trainer bike) is moustache barred, Pasela tired, dirt road/urban cruiser. Cantilever brakes & bar-ends on the moustache. Not a "serious" hang with the guys road bike, it is probably my most light-hearted, gonzo, take a break and have fun bike. Looking forward this summer to dirty gravelly roads, canal banks, light trails etc. on this one. Great sight-seeing bike as well.

My point: perhaps not for your main bike, but for a fun bike it can be rewarding to put together your own hybrid/poor-man's cross bike for alternative days in the saddle--which can be very important if you plan a long career as a cyclist.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

'Mizer Cats are INSANE Mentor58's Avatar
    My Bikes
    C-dale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to look at the Bianchi Volpe. Good geometry, the tires that come with it are dual purpose, suited to road or light trail riding. Get a set of lighter road tires and you've got the makings of a good all purpose bike that is fairly light and a good multi-use bike. I plan on doing brevet rides on mine this year, and if I could only have 1 bike, that's the one I'd keep.

Steve
    *Surly LHT ... Slow and Steady, *Motobecane Century Pro ... Better than Me
    *Bianchi Volpe ... Well, just 'cuz , Fuji Track SS / Fixie ... Mustache bars and a big grin
    Rans F5
    Easy Racers Tour Easy
    * Now that I'm 'Bent, I will probably unload all but the Fixie.