Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's our 2006 Birthday Ride Challenge thread

The goal is to ride your age to celebrate your birthday. It doesn't have to be on your actual birthday... just sometime during 2006. Be sure to let us know how it went and post pictures!!

I'm committed to 66 miles this year, and may try to do it sometime this spring when the temperature is cooler rather than wait for Labor Day weekend like last year, where the temperature and humidity was in the 90's in Southwest Florida.

Good luck to everyone and we look forward to reading about your rides!

Lookinup
    (Who will be 66 this year and still thinks and acts like she is 27!)
    Last edited by lookinUp; 01-24-06 at 05:52 PM.

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can it be our metric age? Or our age in dog-years?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in! But since my birthday is next Dec. 31st, (I'll turn 68 then), I've got all year to get ready to meet the challenge. Since I did a 67 mile ride for my recent birthday, my goal for this year will be to do 68 miles on a more challenging route (hills!) than my 2005 route, which was on a relatively flat bikepath.

I'm pumped!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already did it on the 20th! Rode 60 miles. 'Twas an excellent ride other than about 30 miles of constant 5 mph headwinds. No aches or pains other than occasionally around the back of the neck for holding my head up for so long.

I was glad when it was over but the good news is I felt like I could've kept going.

Because it was my birthday I ended up staying up till 1:30am celebrating with friends so it was a very long day. I slept good and still woke up same time as always. Not sore either!

Top speed, 35.7mpg, avg speed over distance 13+mph. Time moving, 4 hrs 37 mins. Total distance covered, 60.1 miles.

Sorry no pics, too busy riding, haha.

My suggestion is, don't try it unless you've ridden a few times 66% of your age miles (ie. if you're 60 do some 40 mile rides before doing a 60.).

Oh yeah, have fun!

..rickko..
    (One of the 1st of the babyboomer generation)

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in! I'll also ride my wife, Linda's age on her birthday too. We both did that last year and it was a hoot. I'll try to take pics this year.

Steve

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's next week and my son-in-law says he'll go along to keep me company. My only concern--does that mean he gets to stop at 35 miles while I have to keep going to 64??? I'll try to get pics.

Tim

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year I will be 52 and my birthday will be on a Sunday. My typical Sunday morning ride is ~70 miles and I leave well before anyone other than me and the family dog are awake so no big deal here. I have been thinking about a double birthday ride (2*52=104 miles), but I think that my family might not want me to be gone for that long. They have gotten used to me getting home and making brunch on Sunday. Perhaps I might add a few extra miles and do a 1.5*age ride of 78 miles.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turn 55 on Easter this year so I guess after eating my chocolate easter bunny I'll have to go out and ride 55 miles to work off the calories, and instead of bringing a power bar or gel pack I'll just bring along a bunch of marshmellow peeps to keep me going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my 1960 age the other day, 8 miles. Only had half an hour to work with. I plan to gradually work my way thru the sixtys and seventys to ride my age sometime this spring. And since I probably won't make 100 I'm planning to get that "Ride Your Age" ride done in June. If I do make 100 it will be one less thing to do on that busy day.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papedaler
    I turn 55 on Easter this year so I guess after eating my chocolate easter bunny I'll have to go out and ride 55 miles to work off the calories, and instead of bringing a power bar or gel pack I'll just bring along a bunch of marshmellow peeps to keep me going.
    I just love those marshmellow peeps. I'm 57 maybe it is an age thing.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    Mine's next week and my son-in-law says he'll go along to keep me company. My only concern--does that mean he gets to stop at 35 miles while I have to keep going to 64??? I'll try to get pics.

Tim
    If he's that young- he has to do double, but that means that you will have to do an extra 6 to make certain he doesn't cheat.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Canyon Alu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I can convince my son for a father-and-son-ride (51+25=76), which could lead us to Heidelberg city and the Neckar valley down to Eberbach and back over the hills just right in time, when my friends use to come for a birthday party.
    marmotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How near to your birthday?? My birthday was 2 weks ago and North Dakota Januarys are NOT compatible with bicycle riding. I can't ride the trainer due to recent surgery and 60 miles on the trainer would be brutal. Does it count if I go the distance in May or June?
    Last edited by Thrifty1; 01-24-06 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Omiited key word NOT

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, lookinup; you Floridians and us Californians don't really have an "off" season--I just got back from a 20 miler wearing shorts and a short-sleeved jersey. How about making the challenge to "celebrate" one's birthday, rather than "on or near" one's birthday?

I wouldn't wish riding 60 miles on a trainer on anybody!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernmart
    Yeah, lookinup; you Floridians and us Californians don't really have an "off" season--I just got back from a 20 miler wearing shorts and a short-sleeved jersey. How about making the challenge to "celebrate" one's birthday, rather than "on or near" one's birthday?

I wouldn't wish riding 60 miles on a trainer on anybody!
    How about going someplace nice on your birthday and getting a ride in if you live up North and have a birthday in the winter? Or you might pay some of us people that live down South to do the ride for you.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernmart
    How about making the challenge to "celebrate" one's birthday, rather than "on or near" one's birthday?
    Good idea, thanks! I've changed the text. Also added that the ride didn't have to be on your actual birthday, just sometime during 2006.
    Last edited by lookinUp; 01-24-06 at 05:59 PM.

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

My Bikes
    Cannondales's
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is going to be quite a challenge for me. On December the 23rd I fell of a ladder and broke my left leg just below the knee in forty places. My birthday is in April and I am not expecting to be able to even ride a bike by then, I am told my recovery may take as long as a year. However I am beginning to feel good and my leg is begging me to try and walk and I hope that in the next couple of weeks I am given the go ahead to put some weight on it and hopefully in a few more weeks I can get on my trainer.
    I am confident that I can be cycling a lot sooner than I am expected to be able to do. I have signed up to do the MS 150 in South Carolina. I am hoping that I am able to get back on the bike soon enought to be able to build my leg muscles back up for this tour. Right now that have shrunk up like a prune.

I done this bike tour for the last two years and it has averages 170 miles long in two days this tour takes. So if I am able to participate in this charity ride next September then I will have done more miles than my age which will 64. Last year I rode a total of 6,500 miles but will fall for short of this for this year. Next year if God is willing I hope to do a cross country tour or at least tour the oregon Trail which will be approximately 2500 miles long I believe.
    Douglas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!!! That sounds horrible sandlapper. Take it conservatively. It would be great to have you in the saddle again, but you don't want to push that severe an injury.

Best to you and hoping for a rapid recovery.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sign me up for this year!!
    Sometime in July, my birthday is on a Monday so probably not that day.
    I'm looking forward to it.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my age today--my Beatle birthday and am glad I did. It was a most interesting trip. I live in Washington, DC but am visiting my daughter and her husband (and granddaughter) in Columbia, Mo. When my birthday came up, it was a perfect opportunity to take a ride on the famous Katy Trail. It was an okay day--5 degrees warmer and 15 mph less wind would have made it perfect. The ride was from Columbia to Boonville and back (69.5 miles altogether). A couple of shots include Katy landmarks--Katfish Katys, Rocheport, the train tunnel, and of course some excellent views of the Mighty Mo.

Trip started out well enough and I was making good time--until I got west of the tunnel. There the surface got very loose and sandy, almost like a beach and with a 12-15 mph headwind my speedometer dropped to 8.5 and I was wondering if I would make it or not. Finally, I decided to leave the trail and head over to U.S. 40 where my speed picked up to about 15 and I felt like I was getting somewhere.

The bridge to Boonsvile crosses the Missouri and has a dedicated bike path which the Katy follows. You get a great view of the old railroad bridge and another nice view of the Missouri. In case you try this trip, forget about Monday. Most of the restaurants in town are closed on Monday and I ended up with a bad cheeseburger at a Dairy Queen--but, hey, calories are calories, right?

Given my experience with the trail, I elected to ride all the way back to Rocheport on U.S. 40 (12 miles or so) and am happy to report that the traffic was light and drivers were careful and polite. Not a single honk and many waves--don't you love the Midwest?

Returned to daughter's house in time for 64th birthday party which included many goodies for bike repair and riding. I think I'll take a shorter ride tomorrow.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg a.jpg (82.9 KB, 19 views)
    • File Type: jpg b.jpg (69.4 KB, 10 views)
    • File Type: jpg c.jpg (53.0 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg d.jpg (91.3 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg e.jpg (80.0 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg f.jpg (71.6 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg g.jpg (41.1 KB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg h.jpg (59.6 KB, 26 views)
    • File Type: jpg j.jpg (63.2 KB, 6 views)
    • File Type: jpg k.jpg (53.9 KB, 16 views)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    I rode my age today--my Beatle birthday and am glad I did.
    Tim
    Contratulations, Tim! Great story... great pictures. I'm envious - want to ride the Katy Trail one of these days!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I rode my age today--my Beatle birthday and am glad I did.
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great trip.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate/Kestrel 4000/GT Rage/Litespeed Unicoi/Litespeed Obed FS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm 56 and I try to get in 4 or 5 centuries each year. You folks can do it to, just change your priorities and log more time in the saddle, the miles will come easier when you ride in a group.
    I get a kick out of telling people my age after they have 'sucked my rear wheel' for about 30 miles.

My Bikes
    Trek TTX, Trek 5900, Trek 2300, Specialized A1, Schwinn Mesa, Cervelo P2, and a Haro for my son.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in. I have a tradition of riding my age in miles on my birthday. I even had a few buddies go with me and we would do the same on theirs. I did 90 miles last Sunday but no pictures, does it count anyway?

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLC20010- Tha's a terrific ride report. Beautiful shots of the Mighty Mo and I have got to agree, that was a nasty looking burger.
    Congrats!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast