Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown
    We don't want to overheat....
    Koffee
    No problem. The cycle room is freezing (60F) when we walk in. The heat/humidity of the Caribbean will be a shock to my system. With only 10 days there, and with a bunch of 60-70 year old hard-body roadies, I'll need to acclimatise quickly. I resent those 60-70 year olds. I have to struggle to keep pace. They pair off riding side by side and just keep going and going.

I tried a "lane swim" at the Y's pool! It's been years. Uh oh!!! I had been a strong swimmer. But was surprised how quickly I ran out of breadth. How few laps I could do. Seems like my age caught up with me in the pool and all my cardio conditioning evaporated (or sank to the bottom.) Felt like my lungs were constricted and my heart was rising to my throat. I thought I was in better shape....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run into a problem. 8 weeks into spinning classes, I'm finding it hard to warm up - 30 minutes or so to feel fired up. It's no fun anymore, my thigh muscles hurt and feel like lead from the start and I don't seem to have the energy to take my heart rate past 145 or so. I've been going 5 days a week and added resistence training as well - all the conditioning exercises on weight machines after most spinning classes. My thigh and calf muscles have increased in size and are much more defined. But when I swam in the 25 metre lane pool I was disappointed I couldn't go more than 2 lengths before stopping to let my heart rate recover! I suspect a contributing factor is poor nuitrition due to a long work day, skipping healthy meals, only to gorge in the late evening when I'm finally in the door. I'm disappointed with my 3 months of exercise. I suppose it was better than nothing but I don't really know if my crash course improved my fitness much - things are certainly sagging at the end. All this in preparation for a 10 cycling trip in the Caribbean which starts in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by TrailRider; 03-07-06 at 01:16 PM.

Could be poor nutrition, could be poor base/endurance. Without a good base, you won't be able to 1) go for long efforts, and 2) do very many intervals. Aim for more steady state rides.

For nutrition, if you're working out, you'll need more carbs. Please don't be on the high protein kick- aim for a diet that's about 55% carbs, 25- 30% protein, and 10- 15% fat. And try to get your fat from unsaturated fat sources- stay away from the trans fat and the saturated fats.

Koffee

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRider
    I've run into a problem. 8 weeks into spinning classes, I'm finding it hard to warm up - 30 minutes or so to feel fired up. It's no fun anymore,... I suspect a contributing factor is poor nuitrition due to a long work day, skipping healthy meals, only to gorge in the late evening when I'm finally in the door. I'm disappointed with my 3 months of exercise. I suppose it was better than nothing but I don't really know if my crash course improved my fitness much - things are certainly sagging at the end. All this in preparation for a 10 cycling trip in the Caribbean which starts in 2 weeks.

Sorry you're disappointed, TrailRider. Koffee (and others) probably have a better handle on this, but it may be a case of too much, too soon, along with nutrition and just burn-out (over training) issues. My wife and I have been lucky, having been able to mix actual road training along with spinning classes this winter. I think I would be burned out too if all we had been able to do this winter was spin indoors, in a class 6 days a week. Getting out in the real world of fresh air and sunshine, comradiery of other riders, etc. has kept us fresh and looking forward to a fruitful cycling season. Let's hope that when you get out on your real world rides, the cobwebs will clear up and you'll be happy with the world. Good luck and let us know how your tour goes.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRider
    I've run into a problem. 8 weeks into spinning classes, I'm finding it hard to warm up - 30 minutes or so to feel fired up. It's no fun anymore, my thigh muscles hurt and feel like lead from the start and I don't seem to have the energy to take my heart rate past 145 or so. I've been going 5 days a week and added resistence training as well - all the conditioning exercises on weight machines after most spinning classes. My thigh and calf muscles have increased in size and are much more defined. But when I swam in the 25 metre lane pool I was disappointed I couldn't go more than 2 lengths before stopping to let my heart rate recover! I suspect a contributing factor is poor nuitrition due to a long work day, skipping healthy meals, only to gorge in the late evening when I'm finally in the door. I'm disappointed with my 3 months of exercise. I suppose it was better than nothing but I don't really know if my crash course improved my fitness much - things are certainly sagging at the end. All this in preparation for a 10 cycling trip in the Caribbean which starts in 2 weeks.
    Well Hammer and Koffee both make good points. But methinks another thing may be operating.

Spin sessions, at least at my Y, tend to emphasize are pretty fast warm up and short intense bursts with short periods of recovery. They tend to throw in quite a bit of strength and interval work and relatively little just moderate exercise.

You mentioned spinning something like 6 times per week. It is really easy for most people to get into the group think of these things are really beat yourself up.

On your next few spin sessions, you might try taking it a bit easy. Follow the guidelines, just don't push it really hard. Beating up you body day in and day out is a good way to burn out. Or to put another way, if you have to do "no pain, no gain" each and every time you exercise, exercising will become a sort of torture and eventually you will want to avoid it. Take it easy some days and just enjoy yourself.

Of course, if you HAVE to beat yourself up in spin classes, then do them less often and do some other form of aerobic exercise to recover on other days.

Good Luck to you
    I am pulling for you, we are all in this together.

Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    Spin sessions, at least at my Y, tend to emphasize are pretty fast warm up and short intense bursts with short periods of recovery. They tend to throw in quite a bit of strength and interval work and relatively little just moderate exercise.

On your next few spin sessions, you might try taking it a bit easy. Follow the guidelines, just don't push it really hard. Beating up you body day in and day out is a good way to burn out.

Good Luck to you
    I am pulling for you, we are all in this together.

Pat
    Well that's just it. Frankly, I'm angry with the Y's spinning classes. I thought it's just cause I'm getting tired and irritable (and old.) But now I'm thinking they've done me a disservice.

I'm watching my heart rate like a hawk, recording the whole session in fact. The 20-something "volunteers" leading the class (mostly 20 or 30 year olds) keep yelling to get us to go harder, faster. They don't know what they're doing. The only qualification is "shadowing" another volunteer for a number of sessions. Last night the volunteer filling in started off with, "Fred said he really creamed you guys in his class last week - so tell him I was really rough this week!" These session leaders are competing with each other on who's the "toughest"! And the only thing on the wall is a small wall chart graphing age/max heart rate/fitness zone and a how-to on taking your pulse. But none of the leaders ever refer to it! Only 1 time in 2 months did a leader have us check our pulse - at the end of the session half way through cool down! What's the point of taking it then? Last night there was a 10 minute warm up and a 2 minute cool down and she raced through the stretching exercises! What happened with a minimum 10 minute cool down?

Here's where I went wrong:
    1. My expectations were too high - I had pictured in my mind that if I just got in enough spinning classes and time on the weight machines in 3 months I'd have bulging biceps like Schwarzenegger, thighs like Superman and the endurance of Tarzan - no question I'd be an A speed cycler! But I've only been cycling 1 year with a total distance on a hybrid of 2,600 km, I'm still 10 pounds overweight and my diet and nuitrution are poor. In the end, the spinning classes just tired me out more than anything;
    2. I didn't have a correct fitness program - I overdid the wrong exercises - I should have sought out a professional trainer, never mind the yo-yos at the Y and their amateurist spinning classes and "FitLinxx" program - good stuff maybe but didn't meet my specific needs;
    3. I didn't start soon enough since the trip was dependent upon getting a group of cyclers - but who's going to commit 6 months in advance?

What to do? Well this has been a learning experience. The cardiologist may have been right - in the next 2 weeks I'll get on a treadmill and keep my pulse in the 130's for an hour - that's what he suggested in the first place. I've learned to understand my age and my limits - feeling like a strong younger man fooled me. It's going to take time and a lot of hard work to catch up to you conditioned guys. And damn it, I want a professional trainer - it's easy to do it wrong. I recognize I get irritable (even more than normal) when I've over done it or when my thighs burn the first down stroke. So I'll see how I feel in Cuba. It's reasonable to take shorter trips than planned or alternate cycling days. I can do other things I love so that I'll enjoy the trip - horseback riding in the mountains, snorkelling/scuba diving, etc. And keep on building my conditioning base this summer. I'll do better next time.

Thanks guys for your support. There's a limit on how much help you give on a forum - sometimes you need hands-on instruction.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TrailRider,

You need to be careful with personal trainers too. They are often very knowledgeable but even so, most are expert in a pretty narrow area. Your needs could well be outside of their area of expertise.

You really do not need to go out and kill yourself very often to get in good shape. I think the notion of getting your heart rate up at 130 is a good one. You could supplement it with spin sessions but even then you need to know when to back off and/or ignore people. The thing is to keep you goals in mind and work towards them.

I don't really listen that much to the spin people. I do when they make some sense but I am very quick to deviate from the program. But then again, I have always been pretty independent.

Pat

My Bikes
    Ridley,Viner,Pinarello,Fuji,Javelin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa TR, don't be hung up about the heart-rate monitor; it's only a tool that should be refered to when needed, not a body law machine that must be obeyed. Having said that I do agree with all that has been said especially from Koffee and OHB. Let me add a few words of wisdom from lots of experience.

Background first for credibility. I was a marathoner for years so I know how a HR monitor can be helpful and should be effectively used. I'm an avid cyclist and past track racer (we know what spinning is all about), as well, a group cyling/spinning instructor for the past 8 years (4 classes per week). I'm also 65 years old, so old age, cunning and a big knowing smile will overcome youth and skill, or stupidity, or big egos, and even drill sargents.

You are over training! Why? I"m not sure but that should be your primary concern. What are you training for? I hope it's to get back in shape and feel good about yourself. If so, then concentrate what you have to inject into your workout, training or cycling classes to achieve those realistic goals. Vary your workout with mixed equipment and time periods. Participate in cycling classes every other day and leave your HR monitor in your bag for a while and just focus on how you feel - push yourself when it feels good, or do a recovery ride and just noddle along to the sounds that inspire you. Put the HR monitor back on to check your progress. And don't be intimidated by what some instructor throws at you; you know your body better than anyone else; besides group cycling classes are suppose to be stimulating and fun, not a cardio freakout.

OK so I'm lecturing, must be a university teaching fallback. If you wish more tips contact me off-forum via email; I'm just up the road in Toronto.

Clipin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clipin
    If you wish more tips contact me off-forum via email; I'm just up the road in Toronto.
    Clipin
    Thanks Clipin. I'm going to take you up on the offer!

Well guys, it's off to Cuba on Thursday, with my beloved hybrid in tow! I've worked hard - and done the best I know how - to get into shape. The last 2 weeks I've been doing lane swims - up to 40 lengths of the 25m length of the pool, albeit not without stopping for recovery. Then hit the weight machines!

I gotta laugh - if someone told me I'd be doing this a year ago I'd laugh in annoyance. You know, we might be 50 something but that still doesn't mean there aren't some good twists in life waiting just around the corner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12