Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike your age + on your birthday

Ah- what a wonderful day it was. I turned 51, and took a 'personal' day off from work...in order to bike. The temperatures reached as high as 48, but there was a wind (in my face coming home). I left the house at around 10:30 with the aim of biking my age, 1.5 times my age, or maybe even double my age. I also decided to 'hit the hills'. I live in Reston, Virginia, and am right off the W&OD bike path. The bike path is a great way to head out of town safely. It is built on an old railroad bed, so it is poretty flat. Once past Leesburg, I opted for Dry Mill Rd (hilly) and then on to Irene and Hamilton Station Road, into the town of Waterford. From there, up Stumptown Rd (big hill) and down the other side, and up to Taylorstown, big hill. At Taylorstown, I was at around 42 miles. I had a quick bite to eat, and reversed my course...doing the hills in the opposite direction. As I neared home, I bumped into a friend of mine, and we rode together up Hunter Station Hill, near home. When all was done, I had completed 86 hilly miles in about 5 1/2 hours. Most of the way back was into a wind that seemed to be blowing from the South/South East.

I remember reading on this forum at some point of people riding their age on their birthday, and felt it was a great opportunity. I was blessed today, as the trail was dry. Had we had any snow or ice, it would not have happened.

train safe-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since no one has responded I wish you a belated Happy Birthday.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12
    Since no one has responded I wish you a belated Happy Birthday.
    How on earth did that happen! I shall join Hask12...Happy Belated!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My birthday is in January aswell, and I do not like long rides in the cold, the rain and the frost so I do my birthday ride as a short version. I ride my age some time in the summer and I have already done mine twice. Once on a 56 mile ride but with a diversion to a cafe to bring it up to over my age and an off road ride in the rain and wind. Will do it another couple of times this year, when the mood takes me- but Don't tie yourself to just your birthday. Get another couple in when the weather is better. More enjoyable that way.

Happy birthday and sorry we all missed it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow-- I had forgotten about that post... thanks guys! It really means a lot!

I rode yesterday on the same route as my 'birthday ride'... what a difference the sunshine and higher temperatures make.

train safe-