Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sciatica and the wallet

I went to the doc the other day for a sciatica pain that was killing me.

"What side does it hurt? he asked. "Left side", I replied. "What side do you use your wallet? he said with a "I knew it" expression on his face... "Yep... Left side", I admitted.

35 years of using a wallet on the same spot can take its toll. It makes sense.

Just wanted to share.

Cheers.
    A California ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you mention that. I've been meaning to prune my wallet lately. Damn thing is probably two inches thick. Everybody wants you to carry a card these days and it's getting out of hand. Maybe I'll actually prune it tonight. Thanks!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe3

"What side does it hurt? he asked. "Left side", I replied. "What side do you use your wallet? he said with a "I knew it" expression on his face... "Yep... Left side", I admitted.

Just wanted to share.

Cheers.
    If reducing or moving the wallet doesn't help, I would get a second opinion. I had surgery in 93 for sciatica, and mine was caused by a damaged disc that was rubbing on the sciatic nerve in my spinal column. I had no pain in my back, it was all located in my butt and leg. Excruciating, but the surgery took care of it completely.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to share.

Cheers.
    Maybe your wallet is just too thick. Take out all of that bulky money and send it to me and your back pain will go away. Glad that I could help.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many years, I have carried two wallets, one in each front pocket (cargo pants) or one in each rear pocket (dress slacks). It helps me keep organized and avoids the sciatic complications mentioned above.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Jim Shapiro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://all-ett.com took care of it for me.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I was told my right dided sciatica was my wallet, too. Turned out it was a misdiagnosis, at least in my case. That said, change the position of the wallet and see what happens - you should get fairly rapid relief. If not, keep looking. I agree with all the plastic cards - drives you nuts - too bad the wallet wasn't that thick and uncomfortable full of green stuff!

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wallet stays in the center console of my truck. It's been 30 years since I carried it in my hip pocket (other than when I walk into a store). It just bugged me too much. Is there really a reason to carry one in a pocket other than carrying it into a store?
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycling keeps mine flattened out quite a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem 10 or 12 years ago, and a doc told me about "wallet sciatica." It bothers me occasionally now, and I switch the wallet to the other side for a few days, but after thinking I've lost it three or four times a day (because it's not where it's always been!), I switch back until it recurs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your hip pocket is a terrible place for your wallet. Number one reason is that lump causes you to sit slightly tilted, causing "wallet sciatica". Two, it says to pick-pockets, "Rip me off first please." Slipping a wallet from the back pocket is easy.

My wallet is in my front pocket or my backpack. It's comfortable, better guarded, and acts as a counter weight for the keys and coins in my other pocket.

Why keep it on your person? Because then you know whats happening with it. I hate arriving at a store, only to discover I've left my wallet at hom.

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large wallets and heavy belts especially with equipment hanging off, can put pressure on the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, a fairly superficial nerve that goes to the lateral thigh on the frontward side of the buttock. This can be painful when compressed for a long time and mimic sciatica. The sciatic nerve is deep to the gluteus/buttock muscle and is most commonly compressed by hypertrophic ligaments and disc bulging in the lower lumbar spine. Sciatica tends to be chronic, lat femoral cutaneous neuropathy is resolved by getting rid of or moving the heavy belt or wallet.
    Steve

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to say it, But I have a riding partner that has a more severe problem with his wallet- Whenever he goes for it- no matter which pocket he carries it in- He gets a complete paralysis over his arm movements.

I have noticed that I cannot use a waist bag on a bike. I do not know why, and have put it down to restriction around the waist and hip area. The pain is not that severe, but discomfort comes in that makes me now use bike bags or Knapsack to carry things in. It has even got to the stage that heavy items in the trouser pockets- Like wallets, bunches of keys etc. will have the same affect.Sounds amost like the problem SCH has highlighted
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
    Bicycling keeps mine flattened out quite a bit.
    +1. It sure has sucked mine down also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshapiro
    Thank you for that link - I just ordered the all-ett and the junior all-ett to see which one I like better. The other will be offered to my son or son in law.

Dan, 49 yrs and 8 months, official intro on this forum in May 2006.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, changing the wallet to another place didn't ease my pain, but the "industrial-strenght" pills he prescribed me did a good job.
    Now, like someone said earlier, I never know exactly where my wallet is!... I hope this "I lost it"
    syndrome doesn't trigger heart problems
    A California ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sch
    Large wallets and heavy belts especially with equipment hanging off, can put pressure on the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, a fairly superficial nerve that goes to the lateral thigh on the frontward side of the buttock. This can be painful when compressed for a long time and mimic sciatica. The sciatic nerve is deep to the gluteus/buttock muscle and is most commonly compressed by hypertrophic ligaments and disc bulging in the lower lumbar spine. Sciatica tends to be chronic, lat femoral cutaneous neuropathy is resolved by getting rid of or moving the heavy belt or wallet.
    Steve
    Good start, but there is way more to the subject than that and the internet is a bad case to get that extra advice. See someone who's got the training to deal with these problems if you want to get to the cause of the problem and solve it. Because a little knowledge can be a bad thing.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshapiro
    Just ordered one of these bad boys last night. Olive green, of course. Should come some time next week. Okay, it's not bling, but it's something new in the mailbox!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to share.

Cheers.
    I had the same problem seven years ago at age 46. I began to carry a thinner wallet and place it and my keys in the desk drawer when I got to work. I also forked out the money for the top of the line Aeron ergonomic desk chair (not a knockoff) in the widest dimension. Within about two weeks all my sciatica pain and lower back stiffness was gone. Best thing I ever did.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Just ordered one of these bad boys last night. Olive green, of course. Should come some time next week. Okay, it's not bling, but it's something new in the mailbox!

Got the new wallet, but the jury's still out. Yes, it's much thinner. But, when you pull it from your pocket and open it, the cards all want to fall out. You have to do it very carefully. Also, the pockets in the back for the money and receipts are a bit difficult to open. I'm trying to get used to all this -- there's a 30 day money back if not satisfied guarantee.

But, it does do what it promises to do!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione