Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome day!!! Ride report w/ pics

We were blessed with an absolutely gorgeous day today in NC and I was fortunate enought to be able to take full advantage of it. Sunny skies and the temp hit 60 degrees this afternoon. I'll definitely be putting in some extra dollars in the collection plate tomorrow!

One of my cycling buddies told me about Morrow Mtn State Park which is right about 50 miles from my house by bike. He said it had a nice little climb with decent views at the top and I should try it. There's nothing like the adventure of something new to get me out on the road!

I mapped out the route last night and went to bed really excited about traveling on some new roads and going to a different destination. After 4 years of riding around here I thought I had already ridden everywhere within reason.

When I got up I almost didn't even go. I didn't sleep very well Thursday night and then last night I woke up at 3:30 and just couldn't go back to sleep. I was really dragging this morning. I kept thinking about Gary going out when he didn't feel good and having a blast-and how excited I was the night before about the ride so obviously I decided to make an attempt.

I took it easy going over not knowing what the climb would be like plus not having 100 percent of my energy. I have a total lack of confidence on any climb I haven't done before so I was definitely saving up. I was worried about all the extra weight from with clothes, being tired, etc. (I must be a worrier)

At the base of the climb would you believe the song "Stairway to Heaven" came on the radio station I was listening to!! Perfect timing!! Anyway, I was able to ease up the hill with no issues which was a really nice boost.

For those that like the numbers: The ride turned out to be 102 miles with right at 6000 ft of climbing. I think my ride time was right at 6 hrs 15 mins. The steepest hill I encountered had a grade of 13% -ugh....

Three Take-a-ways from today's ride:
    1-I was able to make a mental list of my work experiences that are needed for a position I'm interested in. Now I just have to commit all those thoughts to paper.
    2-I discovered a new energy drink--Cherry Coke!! (the bubbly fluid and cherry flavor was so-o-o good!) The caffeine really picked me up and it didn't even upset my stomach.
    3-Quit worrying!!

If the 6hrs on the bike today doesn't make me sleep better I'm all out of things to try!!

Enjoy the pics. While they're not the quality of Gary's maybe it will give you a little flavor of the ride. After looking at them I guess my bike is the star of the pictures.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is WOW! Your exploits continue to blow me away.

Y9u mentioned only Cherry Coke. Was that it as far as nutrition?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    All I can say is WOW! Your exploits continue to blow me away.

Y9u mentioned only Cherry Coke. Was that it as far as nutrition?
    Today's nutrition during the ride:
    1 banana
    2 energy gels
    4 fig newtons
    1 Subway Deli sandwich (with cherry Coke!!)
    2 Bottles of Gatorade

Tonight's fare? Everything I can get my hands on!!!

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

The ride and your bike look like dreams. My 15 to 20 miler got rained out. I should make
    it at sunup tomorrow.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your enthusiasm glows out of your report jppe. Like Dnvr, I'm also blown away by the miles you log, your dedication....and the beauty of your rides. If its not impolite--what's your age jppe?
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1+ what GrannyGear and DnvrFox said. I'm in awe.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Your enthusiasm glows out of your report jppe. Like Dnvr, I'm also blown away by the miles you log, your dedication....and the beauty of your rides. If its not impolite--what's your age jppe?
    I guess 22yo.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Thanks for the kind words GG. I'm 53......but feeling like 33.

As a side, golf has been my passion for 40+ years. I could never get enough of it. I have played world class courses, made hole in ones and had the priviledge of playing with pros like Nick Price, Gil Morgan and Bruce Summerhays. I've made some nice shots and even a few birdies playing in front of thousands of spectators (the most nervous I've ever been) and heard the cheers of the crowds (now that's rush!). The last 4 years that I've been riding I've been trying to reserve time for both golf and cycling (along with work, family, etc).

I say all that because I'm enjoying riding so much I'm real close to tossing the clubs and just enjoy riding. There is a certain thrill you get from this riding stuff that's hard to explain. Never thought I'd ever see that day!

sdr
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kudos!

nice ride - nice bike!

thanks for the vicarious thrill.

question: what portion of your ride, if any, was in traffic - the vehicular type.

truly inspirational ~ thanks for sharing your adventure.

*sdr*
    “You must be the change that you wish to see in the world” Gandhi

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    kudos!

nice ride - nice bike!

thanks for the vicarious thrill.

question: what portion of your ride, if any, was in traffic - the vehicular type.

truly inspirational ~ thanks for sharing your adventure.

*sdr*
    Once I left the town where I live, fortunately I only had to go through one other town on this trip. I could have ridden around the town but I wanted to go down mainstreet just to see how the town was doing these days.

All the roads outside the towns are pretty rural. Lots of rolling hills, pastures, cows and farm dogs! I'm careful to ride backroads where speed limits are either typically 45 mph or sight lines are enough for vehicles to see well ahead of them. It just takes a little planning which I enjoy doing. Plus it's another way of seeing areas I would probably not travel by car.

To your question, out of the 102 miles today, I'd guess that 20 of those were where I was listening for vehicles coming up on me and being extremely careful to ride the white line. I did have one situation today that ticked me off, but I've learned to just move along. I was traveling on a busy 4 lane highway and well to the right of the white line when a van comes up behind me and basically moves over to the white line. Had I moved over just a foot or so to the left it could have been a problem. Completely unnecessary on the driver's part and who knows, probably intentional to see if they could buzz me.

On the other hand, I had a number of drivers allow me to go through intersections ahead of them or wait longer than I probably would before they pulled out on the road. I really try to stay out of people's way and also am quick to acknowledge those that are very considerate and courteous. They seem to appreciate it.

I'm very fortunate to have wonderful terrain for riding. With careful selection, you can do just about any degree of difficulty of ride you want to do. Although I will admit that growth is quickly amongst us and it will not be too long where it will be much more challenging to get around on a bike.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe You just made me cry! Shame on you! I sat inside all day watching the snow and freezing rain ome down here in cold North Dakota! I did feel better when I organized our biking stuff for an upcoming recumbent ride in Death Valley, CA in a couple of weeks! I'm still jealous, though.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what a great day/ride! And to think it's the middle of winter!
    Great pictures, too.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe
    I inquired on your photo thread where it was taken, now I know. My son was just down there this past weekend camping with the scouts. I haven't been down that way in 20 years, but I remember it being really beautiful.
    Great trip report. Makes me jealous sitting here in a hotel in wet Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe

As a side note, I too am an avid golfer for over 40 years. I have played in pro ams and all over the country at fabulous courses. But for the last three years biking has been my passion. If I get invited to fill a foursome on a Saturday or Sunday morning I now decline as many times as I accept because I would rather be on my bike. I dream about bicycles now, not golf clubs.

Looks like a great ride in a beautiful part of the country. Keep your head down!

BJ
    BJ

When victory in battle is assured, time to tighten helmet strap.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlaw
    jppe

As a side note, I too am an avid golfer for over 40 years. I have played in pro ams and all over the country at fabulous courses. But for the last three years biking has been my passion. If I get invited to fill a foursome on a Saturday or Sunday morning I now decline as many times as I accept because I would rather be on my bike. I dream about bicycles now, not golf clubs.

Looks like a great ride in a beautiful part of the country. Keep your head down!

BJ
    Interesting!! I think you would probably agree that there a lot of similarities between the two activities (cost, time involvement, activity for life, social involvement, groups versus solo, etc) but also just as many differences as well. Since neither comes "naturally" for me I'm finding to be decent at either it's going to take a commitment to one or the other. I've had my day in the sun with golf and am really intrigued by this cycling stuff. It's taking me a couple years to make the commitment but I'm almost to the point of not playing unless I need to for my job. Now THAT is a live changing move.......

sdr
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's an amusing little diversion for you golfing cyclists.

check it out:

http://www.cincinnati.com/golf/golfquiz/html/brand.htm

fore!
    “You must be the change that you wish to see in the world” Gandhi

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    here's an amusing little diversion for you golfing cyclists.

check it out:

http://www.cincinnati.com/golf/golfquiz/html/brand.htm

fore!

Thanks! I learned a few things-even with shooting a 9 under par 13!! The first golfing President and also who wore the first Green Jacket.......