Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been freezing my toes...

Riding in the 20's and 30's with bike shoes and no toe covers or shoe covers. I'd appreciate input as to what you recommend. TNX!

05 Roubaix Comp Double
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put tin foil over you shoe tips and then covers.
    Touch every 3rd person and you'll find an idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, where I live is much milder, but I use Performance shoe covers, not the boots but the kind that just stretch over the shoe. Kinda tough to put on but much warmer and light. $10 on sale.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the olden days when I used to subject my body to that kind of discomfort I used to slide a sandwich baggie over my toes. It made more difference than you'd ever imagine and the price is right.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 30 degrees and warmer, I use a ziploc over the shoe and held with a rubber band. The spd cleats punch right through the plastic. A few small holes in the ziploc keeps the condensation down. The handwarmers / toewarmers are great, set on top of my toes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf
    toewarmers are great, set on top of my toes.
    I use toewarmers on top of my toes, also, preferably the Grabber brand linked in a previous post.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend Pearl Izumi's AM-Fib booties at those temps. Pricey but well worth the money. If you can keep your toes and hands warm, I've found it really easy to take care of the other areas. I also use Velowear toe covers for milder days.

In the past, I've also duct taped over the mesh on my cycling shoes which helped. The shoes were sliver so the duct tape didn't even stand out!!!

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on AM-Fibs. Not only good for cold, but wet, too. OHB

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Trek toe covers and 2 pairs of socks, a liner and a wool blend. This usually keeps my toes warm for about 20 miles which, oddly enough, is the distance to Irmas cafe. This is for temps down to the mid 20's farenheit. Before I went clipless, I used to put on a pair of heavy wool socks over my shoes and and that worked pretty well, of course it was a bit hard on the the socks.

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck
    I use Trek toe covers and 2 pairs of socks, a liner and a wool blend. This usually keeps my toes warm for about 20 miles which, oddly enough, is the distance to Irmas cafe. This is for temps down to the mid 20's farenheit. Before I went clipless, I used to put on a pair of heavy wool socks over my shoes and and that worked pretty well, of course it was a bit hard on the the socks.
    A friend of mine says she puts old wool socks over her bike shoes and just cuts out the cleat area. I think my initial problem is the vented top on my shoes. I think the duct tape, baggie, or toe covers might go a long way to improving the comfort along with perhaps toe warmers. (I have cold feet much of the time even indoors) I do wear wool socks but that doesn't really help all that much given all the ventilation my shoes have. I really appreciate all the suggestions! Of course the best solution will come in 3 or 4 months!

Gios
    My Bikes
    Look 586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been there and back with this one, but finally have a solution that works .. well for me. Sealskin socks, Gaerne (German I think) winter road boots (with my Look cleats), then some cheap but thick overshoes. I could never get warm with my bikes shoes/overshoes combo, though I never tried them with the Sealskins. I tried a lot of the standard remedies - plastic bags, aluminium foil, two pairs of socks and a couple of different make of overshoes etc. etc. without any real success once it got real cold. Now ... I was out for two hours the other day when it was -6 Centigrade, without cold feet.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bing181
    I've been there and back with this one, but finally have a solution that works .. well for me. Sealskin socks, Gaerne (German I think) winter road boots (with my Look cleats), then some cheap but thick overshoes. I could never get warm with my bikes shoes/overshoes combo, though I never tried them with the Sealskins. I tried a lot of the standard remedies - plastic bags, aluminium foil, two pairs of socks and a couple of different make of overshoes etc. etc. without any real success once it got real cold. Now ... I was out for two hours the other day when it was -6 Centigrade, without cold feet.
    Air going through the shoes is the main culprit, so Tape over the holes or 2 pairs of socks with a plastic bad sandwiched between does work. I have often thought of the sealskins so if they work let me know- My problem with overshoes is offroad and walking in spd's- Don't get much grip.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I really like bikes Kingofbeers's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Paramounts! - '65, '71, '74, '83, '98, '48 Schwinn Continental, '01 Homegrown Factory, Longbikes Tandem, '98 Trek Y-Foil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The all-time best solution I've found is to just stuff a chemical hand warmer packet in the toe of each boot - good for hours of warm toes, even down to 10 degrees or so. It seems a little like cheating, but at my age, I'll do whatever it takes to keep the old dogs toasty.
    Schwinn Paramounts - 1965, '71, '74, 83
    Match Paramounts - '98, '99
    1948 Schwinn Continental
    1978 Medici Pro Strada
    1990 Cannondale ST 600
    1998 Trek Y-Foil
    1999 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
    2000 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
    1999 Longbikes Tandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do, don't stuff so much stuff in your shoe that it cuts down on circulation through your feet. Nothing can keep you warm after that. Depending on what type of pedal you have, you might get some of the cold weather cycling boots, like from Lake, and buy them big enough to wear a wool sock inside.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2120

Sidi also makes one. I don't know about the other brands, but my SIDI cycling shoes are the best I've tried.
    Last edited by Dchiefransom; 02-08-09 at 10:41 AM.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is, of course, bike shoes. If one is going to be out in conditions like that described, one should dress accordingly. Start with dumping the racing pedals for the winter and put on some cheap, wide platforms. Then, go down the your local sporting goods store or Work-n-More and buy some decent lightweight, Insulated, waterproof hikers. You can get the low-top variety. While you're there, pick up some insulated, waterproof gloves.

You will emerge with change in your pocket and warm, dry extremities. It's not Zen, and the Art of Biking, but you can save the baggies for sandwiches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Put tin foil over you shoe tips and then covers.
    What if we used all the tinfoil lining our helmets to keep out the "signals"?
    Silver Eagle Pilot

05 Roubaix Comp Double
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Dont you know,that wont.
    Touch every 3rd person and you'll find an idiot.

My Bikes
    Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent some time in cold weather and outside, the Army. The only way I could get my feet to stay warm was to use anti-persperant. My feet sweat even in the cold. That makes them even colder. Dry feet are much warmer feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in the snow belt. I used to cover my socks with the plastic gorcery bags and put duct tape over the toes of the shoes. If things got really bad, I used a of worn out rubbers[the shoe kind], over the cycling shoes and cut accordingly.

My Bikes
    2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    Whatever you do, don't stuff so much stuff in your shoe that it cuts down on circulation through your feet. Nothing can keep you warm after that. Depending on what type of pedal you have, you might get some of the cold weather cycling boots, like from Lake, and buy them big enough to wear a wool sock inside.

Sidi also makes one. I don't know about the other brands, but my SIDI cycling shoes are the best I've tried.
    Those Sidi shoes look really nice. Too bad they are so expensive for someting I might only really need 4 or 5 times a year. I can go down comfortably to around 30 degrees with my regular mountain race type SPD shoes. So far this year in the NY area the weather has been in the 30's or higher at least one day each weekend. But I want them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woolie Boolie Socks from DeFeat and windproof show covers such as:

http://www.defeet.com/cat.php?catid=12
    http://www.bikemania.biz/Teo_Sport_W...rbootiessw.htm

You can ride without frozen toes all day as long as your shoes fit properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my first year riding in the winter - bought a pair of no name winter booties with the bottom cut outs for cleats. They work great in the cold and slop but I have to careful with wearing too much sock as the feet tend to sweat more.
    I think they were less than $40 CDN and worth every cent to me.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are too complicated.

Either A
    -- thicker poly sock as base
    -- thin nylon sock as top

or
    -- wool sock as base
    -- thin nylon as top.

Works great and costs less than $10. When you get to work, just take off the top outer layer and you're good to go.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My feet are OK, but my hands get cold, even with full-finger gloves (which I wear year-round, and which do help).
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast