Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promise you will not laugh.......

Actually it's completely okay. In fact, when I told my wife she laughed so hard tears came rolling down. I left out the picture below from the other thread and here is why.

I got a new digital camera for Christmas explicitly for bike rides to capture those precious cycling moments. Yesterday I thought was the perfect time to try out the new "auto-timer" feature. Being a male engineer, I had not read any of the instructions so I just followed what I thought were pretty intuitive steps to take a picture.

I got the camera all set up and set the timer and ran over to get it taken. I didn't know how long the timer was set for so I stood there posing and counted to 60- knowing that had to be plenty long enough. I went back over to check out the picture and the screen was black??? Unfortunately I had pressed the on/off switch instead of the timer.......

You have to understand that the camera was sitting on top of a rock wall and I was standing in front of the camera to aim it. I had to lean over the top of the camera to see what was in the viewfinder. I saw a fence post, so I thought that would be a nice backdrop and I'd just run over and stand beside the fence post-which I did.

The picture below without me in it is the 2nd attempt at using the auto-timer. I was standing beside a fence post while the picture was taken alright. Unfortunately it was a fence post to the LEFT of where the camera was aimed and completely out of view......

So, it only took 3 attempts to get it done.......but hey, I had just ridden 50 miles and climbed a big hill. I don't think this is a reflection of a 50+ thing but hopefully you can appreciate the moment. Laughter is good medicine so please have a BIG dose at my expense!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must be in the A+ class jppe, I still don't know how to use the timing function on my camera! Nice pictures.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I'm impressed that you could even figure out how to take a picture in timer mode. I gave up.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rather rugged fence post, I would say.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jppe, don't feel badly....most of my ill-timed shots show my behind as it runs off to stand on a rock or something. My digital is first generation and too big for a bike bag or jersey pocket but OK for a daypack. I'm amazed at how small and "pocketable" they've become. Maybe the birthday bunny..........
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you didn't cut off your head! Thanks for the chuckle; I think we've ALL been there, and done that!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cell phone camera has an "Auto timer" function. But, the way it is constructed, there is absolutely no way that you can place the camera/phone on any type of ledge or wnatever that you might actually be able to take a self-portrait. (Must have been designed by an engineer who doesn't take pictures!)

So, congratulations on actually getting the deed done!

(Our wind here is something terrible. The wife put out some big heavy bags for Goodwill tomorrow, and they blew away along with the stuff in them. I have been out chasing clothes down! - Trainer, here I come - again.)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-29-06 at 12:10 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the the picture of your fingers...

Edit: I also love the fact that you switched the angle enough in the latter shot that you would have been in frame at either post.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    The wife put out some big heavy bags for Goodwill tomorrow, and they blew away along with the stuff in them. I have been out chasing clothes down! - Trainer, here I come - again.)
    Dnvr, you and jppe have made my daily laugh......thnx.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say the fence post pushed you out of the picture?
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great chuckle...Thanks!

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameras have auto timers?
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE,

Such humility and with grace! I noticed the Sweet Gum (prickly round) balls scattered along the route from the camara to the fence. Ah!!!! to be in the south where the flowers will soon be in bloom!

Bob
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not laughing, but when I stop rolling about on the floor crying- I might force a chuckle.

I took a downgrade in my job a few years ago, to make life easier and leave more spare home time, but before this I was the computer man at my work. Nothing I did not know about them or their problems- even without degrees and letters after my name but 15 years of sorting the bloody things out when they went wrong meant there was not much that foxed me on the things or the programmes they ran. 2 years out and the new programmes were getting complicated- 6 years out and I can't even understand the new generation of mobile phones.

Thats why my Phone is a 6 year old Brick, My camera is 5 years old, but the operator still takes better pictures with it than he can on the newer ones that have all those extra buttons and dials, and why when it comes to teaching the basics of computers to staff- I can still show them, and confuse the know it alls, the basics of computing on a 12 year old Amstrad that takes them onto the new world of DOS. Ask me to set a computer on a bike. or the timer on the washing machine and it's a quick call to my neighbours son who can understand how it works by looking at it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a good laugh! Knowing the story, your fingers in the first photo have a very humorous meaning!

Ok, now to photography: Your next lesson has to be playing around with the "white balance". The colors are too cold. Decrease the values to get warmer tones. I know!I hate the owners manuals too... but sometimes you gotta take a peep
    A California ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story jppe!!
    Made me laugh Nice pic also. Where were you? the background looks Blue Ridge.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    Ah!!!! to be in the south where the flowers will soon be in bloom!

Bob
    Pastor Bob,

At the risk of rubbing it in, my azaleas are blooming, my Japanese magnolia will be blooming by the end of the week, and redbud trees (I think that's what they are) are already blooming.

Come August you can return the favor when we are broiling in our own juices.
    Wag more, bark less