Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-06, 05:33 PM   #1
Travelinguyrt

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
REALLY oddball request

Because this forum has such a widely geographic and ethnic background I'm posting here, and hope it doesn't bother anyone

I'm compling a list of kitchen, baking and cooking recipes to pass on to my nieces and the wives of my nephews. They are all experimental and like to try new, to them, things and are very good at it, but at a recent family gathering I mentioned things my mother and aunts fed us as kids and many things were not in realm of their cooking experiences and they looked at me as if I was from outer space when I talked about a lot of things, i.e. chiffon cakes made with wesson oil that were 7+ inches hi, cottage cheese pie, ground beef liver shaped into balls and cooked in beef broth, and stove top fudge, which sometimes didn't work out, lemon merangue pies which didn't taste like library paste and had merangue 5 " tall...you older folks, my age may get the idea

I'd be only interested in things pre microwave, pre teflon, pre low carbs pre 1950 I guess, when butter was still used widely, real sugar,and lots of eggs

Please don't cluuter this fine message board, instead E-Mail me at my address

Thanks
Travelinguyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 07:10 PM   #2
Velo Dog

Bikes:
I'll get some stuff off to you in a few days. My dad and mother-in-law both died in the past year (both in their 80s), and my wife and I brought home all the recipe boxes, marked-up cookbooks etc. from both sides of the family. I've been going through them looking for some childhood favorites, and I'll have a bunch of them when I'm done.
just FYI, there's a Sunset Magazine (west coast regional, if you don't know the name) cookbook from the late '50s or early '60s called something like "He Cooks--Men in the Kitchen" that's full of stuff like that. Can't remember the exact title, but I'll send it with the recipes. It turns up in used bookstores all the time around the west, or you might be able to find it at someplace like www.alibris.com or www.powells.com
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 08:13 PM   #3
Coyote!

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey Travelinguyrt,

You'll see that I sent you one from my Central German derived small town USA favorites. Sticks to your ribs with a vengence equal only to the Prussian Grenadiers!

But your message got me thinking that maybe you could share your consolidated findings. Maybe? Just whip 'em together in a text format and offer 'em to those interested. Koffee might insist the conversation go on the Foo Folder, but that's only fair. Wuddayathink?
Old 01-30-06, 08:38 PM   #4
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
The heck with the recipes. Just send me the food direct! I can assure you it will be in really good hands.......
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 06:45 AM   #5
TaosWoman

Bikes:
A few years back a friend of mine made a small recipe book (think scrapbook) of all her son's favorite recipes. She plans to give that to his wife when he marries. That's planning!

When I ask my Mom about how to make things, the recipe is always a handfull of this, a pinch of that. When I was 20 that was way too complicated. Now I understand those terms.
TaosWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 07:12 PM   #6
Coyote!

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
>>>always a handfull of this, a pinch of that

And dabs, gobs, skoshes, and dollops. . .
Old 01-31-06, 11:44 PM   #7
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Go for the cookbook "White Trash Cooking." Also, any of the Vernon Roget Cajun cookbooks are fine.
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 01:57 AM   #8
backinthesaddle

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Bikes:
try Lileks. Great writer, great books. GEnuine affection for the food, as well as a sophisticated attitude

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/060...Fencoding=UTF8
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote