Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I actually started posting on the folder forum 1st cause I am interested in travelling with one. This is a variation on my intro on that forum.

As a 55+ adult (close enuf), I have been biking off and on for over 35 years in NYC. I even was a bicycle messenger in 1970 but that's another story. Since I was a child riding a chainless bike, I have gotten a lot of pleasure and a sense of freedom when I ride my bikes. I have never gone on extended travel tours but this will change soon.
    Since 9/11 and my desire to limit my support of oil producing countries (I still own a car), I have been bicycling over 5500 miles a year commuting, shopping, and exercising, long daily pleasure trips etc. on my 30 year old PX10 (original owner).
    Last year, my company sent me out to pasture (yeah!). With my new found freedom, I am planning to do a lot of frugal overseas travelling that would include extensive bicycle touring (1 to 4 months). I was looking at folders for the flexibility of getting on/off a plane or train with ease. If I settle in a town/city for a month or more, I want to use my bicycle for my local transportation.
    This week I rode folders for the 1st time . I did 5 minute test drives on a BF, a dahon, and a swift. They all felt very comfortable, given the limit of 5 minutes riding in the streets of NYC.

Unless, I die from breathing the air polution or getting hit by a crazy driver, I plan to ride bikes into my 90's . My biking and weighlifting, has help keep my weight and cholesterol down. My resting pulse hovers between 45 and 50.

I guess that's it for now.
    Last edited by stargazer48; 01-31-06 at 02:31 PM.

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the ole geezer's forum (apologies to DnvrFox!) -- Sounds like you're already thoroughly into the biking experience. I'm not sure how a folder would handle touring gear - of course the needs of a camping tour vs. a credit card tour are enormous. If you decide to pull a trailer, then that's one more item to ship.

Regardless which bike you end up getting, I'd suggest you try some touring in the US/Canada before going overseas, especially if you are camping.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what's happening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    Welcome to the ole geezer's forum (apologies to DnvrFox!)
    The minions desert my ship faster than I can herd them back on.

Okay - it may be YOUR "ole geezers" forum, but it definitely is not "the" old geezer's forum.

Oh pshaw!

Anyway, welcome.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geezer? Geezer!! As in, "Look at that old geezer sprint across the intersection ahead of the red light and cement truck. Whoa!" [I don't let them see me gasping as I ride away.] Nice to have you here Stargazer....don't know enough about folders to be intelligent, but the PX10 needs to have a pic posted. And any other rides/tours of interest. We vicariously get off on food stories here, but will accept ride reports as well. Keep posting.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Star Gazer,

NH is not far from NYC and is a perfect spot to start a tour. Lots of B&Bs, lots of camping spots, and for the most part, very friendly drivers who slow and give plenty of room when passing. And besides, at least north of Concord you can see the stars at night like you wouldn't believe possible in the northeast!

Bob
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding touring, I am actually planning to try perpetual travelling (PT) lifestyle for about 8 to 10 months a year. It is not conventional travelling but rather travelling the world including North America and staying in inexpensive locations like Southeast Asia, Mexico etc. Depending on how much I like the location, stay for 1,2 or ? months. I would be living out of self sufficient suitcase and in my case, include a folding bike. The suitcase would also be my trailer. I would use the folder to branch out and tour the surrounding country as far as I want to go. The folder also becomes my mode of local transportation to shop, dine out or visit newly aquired friends. Using the bike would of course depend on how safe it was to ride. I was in Bangkok (1st time) last year and would not use a bike there too often, as it would too dangererous and the traffic air polution is just awful.

Well, at least that's the plan. This is all new to me.

SG

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    Star Gazer,

NH is not far from NYC and is a perfect spot to start a tour. Lots of B&Bs, lots of camping spots, and for the most part, very friendly drivers who slow and give plenty of room when passing. And besides, at least north of Concord you can see the stars at night like you wouldn't believe possible in the northeast!

Bob
    And lots of big hills, too!

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer48
    ... I have been bicycling over 5500 miles a year commuting, shopping, and exercising, long daily pleasure trips etc. on my 30 year old PX10 (original owner)...
    Here's a PX10 for sale. Check the price, woo-hoo!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/bik/130118322.html

Welcome aboard!
    ..rickko..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I have not allowed my PX10 to age gracefully. I have maintained it for reliability, not for looks. I use it to do lap training, shop, past commuting, local transportation. It's been my only working bike for 25 years. Except for the Stronglight crank set, handlebar/stem, and the Mafac brake handles, sall the components have been changed. Even the 531 decal is gone. I was thinking of selling it at some point. I wonder if the metal number plate on the frame under the BB would be enough proof?

Thanks for the link.

SG

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about an S&S coupled bike?