Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-06, 02:29 PM   #1
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not retired, so how do you carve out riding time?

Curious, if not retired. Other than cyclo commuting, how do you go about finding time to ride and fit riding in with all other family activities and maintenance needs?
HiYoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 02:52 PM   #2
jisaak
Not So Senior Member

Bikes:
That's a juggling act. I try to ride get in a minimum 3 rides/week when the weather is good and have my schedule mesh with family needs & chores - tough to do when the family schedule changes. Easy to put some miles on by including the family which I try to do on Sunday rides, it may not be at my usual pace but it's a great family activity that we all enjoy. I do set aside time on Sat for a ride and mid week after work but keeping in mind all of the yard and home chores that need tending. In 2005 I rode my most miles ever and was able to keep peace in the valley and I will test the limits again this year as I try to ride over 2000 miles.
jisaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 03:00 PM   #3
bkbroil

Bikes: Cannondale R400
I purchased a light and started riding at night (after 8pm) and early morning (6am). I have two small children (ages 6 and 7) and even with the early morning and late night riding, I still can't get out as much as I would like. I average 3 - 4 rides per week. I used to stress about getting more time to get in shape....but now, I just take what I can get and I'm happy about it... Biking is a release for me, no need to associate any stress with it.

Someday.....I'll be able to get out whenever I want...and I'll be complaining about why I never see my children! LOL
bkbroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 03:08 PM   #4
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
Sun up on weekends. Yet this weekend my be too cold for me. If thats the case I'll be hiking instead of riding.
cruzMOKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 03:10 PM   #5
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
It is a challenge. I use a mix of the trainer, shorter rides, sometimes in the evening though I prefer morning rides. I occasionally ride a boring short circuit where there are street lights until the sun comes up. Once in a while I'll have some extra hours of work accrued and some slack time so that I can ride without feeling guilt.
Old 02-03-06, 03:14 PM   #6
Thrifty1

Bikes:
I must be doing something wrong. I am retired and still have dificulty finding/making time to ride with the yard, gardening, home improvemrnt, and family priorities. I seem to be busier than ever after retirement. I don't know how I ever had time to go to work. IMO retirement isn't all that it's "cracked-up" to be.
Good Luck......
BCNU
Gary
Thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 03:16 PM   #7
metal_cowboy

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit
Kill your TV.
metal_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 04:03 PM   #8
HiYoSilver
Rides again

what TV? There's only 4 to 6 hours worthwhile. Football, ending soon; NCIS; 24; CSI; Numbers. Rest are poor quality.
Old 02-03-06, 04:19 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbroil
I purchased a light and started riding at night (after 8pm) and early morning (6am). I have two small children (ages 6 and 7) and even with the early morning and late night riding, I still can't get out as much as I would like. I average 3 - 4 rides per week. I used to stress about getting more time to get in shape....but now, I just take what I can get and I'm happy about it... Biking is a release for me, no need to associate any stress with it.

Someday.....I'll be able to get out whenever I want...and I'll be complaining about why I never see my children! LOL
Lights do add another dimension to your riding, but take some getting used to. Then there is the fact that if you are on the road, you need good lights at the rear and bright reflective clothing to enable you to be seen. Then if you go offroad- the lights have to be strong- and they are not cheap.

I can only get out at weekends so make that a quality ride- 25 to 30 miles as a minimum and taking in some "Amusing" offroad. If it is not offroad then it is 30 miles- as much as possible on cycle trails or country roads, but with a bit more gusto to ensure a good workout. The Wednesday night rides are on the Tandem, and this is a good offroad ride with enough difficulty to say that we judge the ride by the number of times we fall off. If we fall off- it must be difficult conditions, and if we don't- we have mastered the trails at last.

Then comes the summer and the two good rides are supplemented by a couple of gentle distance rides. Only problem is that until June we are in training so have to push the distance or the speed, Then after June we are calming down for the Autumn centuries so longer distance and steady pace.

Then comes home and the garden. Somehow it gets looked at to keep on top of it, but the grass needs cutting, the garage needs tidying, the shed needs painting (Or for me this year needs replacing) and then there is the family. For me- Cycling comes first and the rest gets done at a slower pace in my spare time. Now if I had more spare time----

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 04:35 PM   #10
greywolf
aka old dog

Bikes:
I commute to work but have an endless variations of loops home from the straight home,10ks (hardshift) to up to 70 ks with or without sig. hills.I only have LED's back & front so at night I can do up to 60k home under street lights although I usualy do 30--40ks home in the dark. I used to ride at night on a fri & sat when working late or nightshift but there's too many drunk & druged up f/wits out on the roads over the w/ends at night ,f/off with haveing rubbish ,abuse & bottles hurled at me !
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 04:39 PM   #11
Travelinguyrt

Bikes:
Dump your TV watching, most NON productive thing you do is boobtubevuueing, news is full of stress, comedy shows aren't funny, reality shows are all practiced and scripted
Gave mine away 5 years ago
Travelinguyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 04:47 PM   #12
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Must be more fun to post than to read.
TV isn't a time sink. That computer however is another story......

I'm thinking of adding a Saturday morning ride but that's my only quiet time during the week when everyone else sleeps in. Maybe I can slip into it by only some Saturdays.
Old 02-03-06, 05:03 PM   #13
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge
Any way that you can take your bike to work with you, stash it somewhere and ride on your lunch hour. When I use to work in an office, I just kept it in the warehouse and then rode every lunch hour, then on weekends I would take it home again.
Litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 06:16 PM   #14
bkbroil

Bikes: Cannondale R400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
I'm thinking of adding a Saturday morning ride but that's my only quiet time during the week when everyone else sleeps in. Maybe I can slip into it by only some Saturdays.
I hear that! I set my alarm for Sat morning at 6:00am....and every Saturday I wake up and think to myself "what are you doing?!!! go back to sleep!" .....some saturdays I'll give in and go back to sleep.
bkbroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 06:29 PM   #15
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Great question!! First I'll admit that the "maintenance" is slipping and it is just is not the same priority for me as it used to be.

I've added a weeknight ride on lighted roads in a Commercial Park that has a 1.5 or 2.5 mile loop and I can ride 20-30 miles a night doing that. This is a "group" ride and I doubt I could do that many miles if I were out just doing it solo.

Lastly but most importantly, my family has recognized the importance that this cycling activity is for me and has embraced it. They generally work things out so I can get in a long ride on either a Saturday or a Sunday. It took a while to reach that agreement but they recognize what it is doing health wise......plus I get pretty hard to be around if it looks like I'm going to miss a weekend without riding.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 06:29 PM   #16
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Bikes:
Definitely kill your TV.
I actually have it easier than alot of the responders here. My wife and I work opposite shifts and our youngest is 19 and in college. I get up around 8:30 AM and off I go. 20 miles minimum. Some days it's 33 miles but that's the limit due to having to work for a living. Week-ends I might be gone for a 60 miler. My wife does'nt mind because of all the weight I've lost.

Now, when the grass starts to grow and the weeds pop up, things will change. This is my first eight months doing this so we'll see.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 06:39 PM   #17
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D
Virtual bicycle ride
http://www.dommy.com/alan/bike/
http://home.swbell.net/dobroom/Brays...raysBayou.html
http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/bu/p...le/exbike.html

ride info
http://www.bikeride.com/
scottogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 06:51 PM   #18
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Must be more fun to post than to read.
TV isn't a time sink. That computer however is another story......

Interesting. To me, bicycling is quiet time.

When I was working full time, I would take my bike with me in the hatch back, and then stop after work (when the days got longer) and ride an hour every day on a trail near where I worked before even getting home. I did start work early and got off about 4:00.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 07:48 PM   #19
Raketmensch

Bikes:
It's difficult. It really helps a lot if your job is one that permits flexible hours... as long as you put in your time it doesn't matter when you do it. I often find myself riding in the afternoon and working in the evening.

If that's not an option, then riding at night can work -- or not work -- depending on your circumstances. I actually do a lot of night-time riding, but it's virtually always indoors, on a trainer. Trainers are turn-offs for many, but I don't really mind indoor riding. Still beats sitting around.

You can harvest a certain amount of time in your schedule by rearranging your priorities, as some have alluded to by talking about reducing TV time, computer time, etc. From what you've said, though, it doesn't sound like you've got much expendable time in your daily schedule.

And, as others have noted, if your cycling time is also family time, everybody wins. Plus, if you bike with family members, that's that much more bike shopping you get to do!

Good luck!
Raketmensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 08:27 PM   #20
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Alas, cycling time is not family time most of the time. It's just me.
Old 02-04-06, 09:47 PM   #21
Gene James

Bikes:
I rode everyday at 4AM. There's hardly any traffic at that time. As long as I used roads with streetlights, I found that I didn't need any lights on my bike to see. If I did encounter a car,I just got off the road for a second.
Gene James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 10:51 PM   #22
KeithA

Bikes:
Weather permitting, I try to get in 40-80 miles per weekend. Most of this is solo, but my biggest joy is a nice, relaxing jaunt with the family. They couldn't today, but promised to come with me tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

On weekdays, if I can squeeze in a ride after work, I do it, but, more often than not, I spin indoors.

Hope everyones noticed that the sun is staying up a bit longer. It adds a little bit more space to ride.
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 11:29 PM   #23
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Curious, if not retired. Other than cyclo commuting, how do you go about finding time to ride and fit riding in with all other family activities and maintenance needs?
Get a job further away! More commuting time.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 01:26 AM   #24
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
Commute to work every day, unless roads are treacherous. Family bike ride to church weekly. I play tennis, and usually bike to the various courts. I average about 2500-3000 miles per year.
Old 02-05-06, 08:37 AM   #25
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
When you're self employed there's room for flexibility. I start the rides early around 6 am. and go for about 16 miles. Weekends start a little later but still the mornings on Saturday. Sunday is for Mass and I either go to the early morning Mass or mid morning. This leaves the possibility for a ride before Mass or after. I don't consider riding at night because of all the drunk driving arrests along the highways.
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote