Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-06, 12:59 PM   #1
packerfan
gb/lambeau

Bikes: Giant Revive and older road bike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new to this!

Just turned 65 and got into biking about 3 years ago, both for exercise and pure enjoyment. I used to ride a WalMart special until last year. Then last May, we bought two GIANT REVIVES, (havn't seen this bike mentioned in the forums) one for my wife and one for me. I have to say, the REVIVE peaked my desire for biking. Same goes for my wife. It is a semi-recumbent and by far the most comfortable ride either of us have ever experienced. I read some internet reviews saying that it is only good for a few miles, then use another bike. I say, "hogwash". I rode the bike 5-6 times per week, usually between 12 to 25 miles each day. Also, as an ex phy. ed. teacher, I have always been into some type of exercise, and the REVIVE can work up a sweat and get the heart pumping just like any other bike, as it is still the same old leg power that makes the wheels go around............
As far as supplements, we both take a multi vitamin and have been taking glucosamine chondroitin for years.
Obviously I have slowed down from what I used to be, but only because of my arthritic knees. Also had a heart attack three years ago(in the family, but nothing else wrong), but feel great now. Angioplasty and two stents!
As far as biking, I biked as a kid, but then really didn't start againg until three years ago.
Most of my rides are on paved bike trails and city/country streets. I am fortunate to live only two blocks from a very nice paved trail (14 mi. round trip) and a mile from another paved trail (12 mi. round trip). Many time I do both trails on the same ride.
Last year, May to October, I did about 1300 - 1500 miles.
My other physical activities include working out on either a treadmill, recumbent exercise bike, or a Schwinn Airdyne Evolution bike, at least five times per week for a minimum of 45 minutes per day.
All in all, I can't wait for warmer weather to arrive so I can start riding again.
packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 03:22 PM   #2
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
You don't sound new to this to me!!

So, is Farve coming back next year?
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 04:21 PM   #3
packerfan
gb/lambeau

True! This is the first post I ever put on the internet.
Farve? No one in Green Bay has an answer, and neither do I.....................I'm not so sure Brett does either.
Old 02-04-06, 09:04 PM   #4
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
welcome aboard packerfan, I lived in green bay and the valley for about 17 years ere moving to so. wi. The weather is milder here. Don't wait for warm weather to ride-dress warmly and ride now!
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 01:32 AM   #5
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
Welcome packerfan. I take the Glucosamine/Chondroitin also. My knees used to pop when I stood up, and now they don't. The stuff works. I agree with the post about "not waiting til it's warm". Get some wool socks and ski gloves and you'll be good as gold!
Old 02-05-06, 10:23 AM   #6
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Don't know your bike- but providing you ride it and enjoy it- it's Ok by me. Now don't put age or knees or heart problems as an excuse. I know a 65 year old that I would love to beat up the hills- but he won't let me. Knee problems are aided by cycling as many of us have found out, and heart problems do not cause a major problem providing you keep it working. The warmer weather brings it's own problem like Heat- Midges and flies, and thousands of walkers out on your cycle routes. Get extra hand and feet protection and enjoy the peace and calmness of winter riding at just above freezing, the occasional patch of ice and the continual rain that washes your bike off for you.

Welcome to the forum but that bike sounds interesting. Any Pictures?

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 10:44 AM   #7
capejohn

Bikes: Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
GC has done wonders for me also. Riding is quite an addiction isn't it? Welcome
capejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 10:55 AM   #8
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Packerfan,
The Revive is generally considered a 'short haul' bike because of the bolt-upright seating. While it has some of the comfort advantages of a full recumbent, it doesn't have the aero benefits. Regarding distance, I'd consider 12 miles as a short distance. Your 24 mile rides are a bit outside the stated box, but so what? If you're enjoying it there's no reason to feel limited by someone else's definitions.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 11:02 AM   #9
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan
Just turned 65 and got into biking about 3 years ago, both for exercise and pure enjoyment. I used to ride a WalMart special until last year. Then last May, we bought two GIANT REVIVES, (havn't seen this bike mentioned in the forums) one for my wife and one for me.
Do a forum search for "giant revive". There are some riders here with those bikes.
Not a bad bike, just different and 2005 was last year for bike. Some models had 27 gears, standard 9 speed is not bad. Unfortunately it is not getting a lot of use because of knee problems.
HiYoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 04:51 PM   #10
packerfan
gb/lambeau

Are we talking about the same bike? To the best of my knowledge, Giant only started making the Revive in either 2002 or 2003. I don't think it ever had 27 gears, and the standard one is 8 gears. I was just in a bike dealer last week that advertised 2006 models and had them on display. In our area, it certainly is gaining in popularity. I know that there are other manufacturers out there that make similiar looking bikes, but they are not the same as the Revive.

I will do a forum search for it! Thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-06, 05:08 PM   #11
packerfan
gb/lambeau

Agree! If I was on a full recumbent, 12 miles is a short ride, as I know a full recumbent is faster and easier to go longer distances. I guess the important thing for me is the exercise benefit more than the distance, as it is still leg power that makes the wheels go around. I enjoy the 24 mile rides too, and have gone as long as 35 already also. It took me longer, but OH WHAT EXERCISE! Thanks for your support!
Old 02-06-06, 10:35 PM   #12
packerfan
gb/lambeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam
Don't know your bike- but providing you ride it and enjoy it- it's Ok by me. Now don't put age or knees or heart problems as an excuse. I know a 65 year old that I would love to beat up the hills- but he won't let me. Knee problems are aided by cycling as many of us have found out, and heart problems do not cause a major problem providing you keep it working. The warmer weather brings it's own problem like Heat- Midges and flies, and thousands of walkers out on your cycle routes. Get extra hand and feet protection and enjoy the peace and calmness of winter riding at just above freezing, the occasional patch of ice and the continual rain that washes your bike off for you.

Welcome to the forum but that bike sounds interesting. Any Pictures?

Check out the Revive at www.giantbicycles.com. They have several different models