Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Senior Games

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Senior Games

Old 02-06-06, 09:27 PM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are any of you participating in your county/state's Senior Games?

Never in a million years did I think I'd ever be competing in anything at this age, but... it looks like so much fun! I've signed up for a 5K and 10K time trial in our county's Games next month. Have started doing a couple of intervals during rides, and rode the 5k TT route today to get a baseline time so I can track my progress. Comparing my time vs the results for my age group last year, I actually have 1/2 a chance at not making a total fool of myself!

If you've participated, I'd be interested to know whether you had fun and how you did - and, whether you're going to do it again.

Last edited by lookinUp; 02-07-06 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 10:25 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've participated in our state's Senior Olympics for the past 3 years. Competition is age graded in 5 year increments. At 63 I'll be in the 60 through 64 year old backet this year. Events are 5k and 10k time trials, 20k and 40k road races (circuit races). The racing is fun but the best part is meeting folks with cycling interests in common.

Al
Old 02-09-06, 06:48 PM

Bikes: 2 canondale road bikes, one modified for touring, one virgin. Co-Motion Nor'wester on order now (2/5/06)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here on the Outer Banks, the biking events are run at the Wright Brothers National Monument. Because we have to be out of there before the park opens, we have to start the races at about 6 am, and in mid-April that can be pretty cool on the Outer Banks.
The races are all run on the road that makes a big circle around the monument. The circle is about .8 miles around, so the 5 & 10k's take several laps. After the races, everybody goes to the nearby senior center for coffee & doughnuts.
What I like about the senior games is that they are like little league....everybody gets to win something. They're great!
Old 02-10-06, 09:23 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband will do the Laguna hill climb. This will be his third year. First year he got a Gold, second year a Bronze. I'm hoping he will at least get a Silver this year. He's getting a new Colnago soon, so who knows how well he will do, but I'm rooting for him.

Here is a copy of last year's winners, my husband is on the right

Old 02-10-06, 10:50 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I just checked Pennsylvania, and they don't have cycling for their Senior games. For younger ages in the PA games, the only cycling events are BMX racing... What can you expect in a state where the average adult cyclist rides a full suspension bike on the sidewalk (pushing whenever there is an actual incline) and virtually nobody over 30 (at least in my area).

I have sent an email to urge them to implement at least a time trial next year. I'm not into racing (no depth perception for one thing) but I would love to think that with enough work I could have an avenue to show how fast I can ride for 5 or 10 kilometers. Of course, I do still have 367 days before I would even be eligible.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-10-06, 11:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, another grey haired Stones fan!
Old 02-10-06, 05:49 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Follow-up in case anyone in PA is interested. I sent a note to the PA Senior Games expressing my disappointment at the lack of cycling, and was told that there will be cycling this year, but the dates are to be determined.

All 50+ers in PA are urged to participate (by me) and I will try to be there to cheer you on... and plan to do a time trial myself next year when I am eligible and 100 pounds less.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson