User Tag List

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got on the road today; first ride in February! Mmmmm...77 degrees. But with another six or seven one-three day business trips this month alone, it's going to be tough to get my February mileage.

Anyway, as I pedalled along today, my hands were getting too warm. Since it looks like summer has arrived again (at long last) I'm thinking maybe a different pair of gloves might be in order. The ones I have are Performance gloves, with holes in the fingers, leather palms, some kind of nylon (?) back, and a neat little terry on the thumb to wipe the brow. But -- they're too hot.

Any suggestions?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Specialized Body Geometry (BG) which I find to be comfortable.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fingerless gloves, they work ok up to high 80's. I don't know about higher temps than that.

I also had the perf ones.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Specialized Radiators.

They are full finger MTB gloves with little fins that stick up off the back of the glove and direct air into the mesh fabric.They also have larger ventilation holes on the palm side of the fingers.

They work great.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I The ones I have are Performance gloves, with holes in the fingers, leather palms, some kind of nylon (?) back, and a neat little terry on the thumb to wipe the brow. But -- they're too hot.

Any suggestions?
    Those sound like the exact models I bought a 2-3 years ago. Seems like I got them from Performance on sale for $9 a pair. I bought 2 pairs- bright yellow and red. They were very comfortable but the black leather bled and stained my hands and the leather got stiff over time. I now use the Pearl Izumi Gel Lites. They not the cheapest but they are lightweight and have given me excellent service. Do NOT fool with their Pittards models......they fall apart.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whichever sort of gloves you get- make certain they are a quality pair. I always get tempted by the cheap "Sale" gloves at the shops I go to. Normally buy about 3 pairs a year and wear them out. Thanks to offroading I bought a pair of full finger cycling gloves a few years ago, just to protect the fingers from bushes gone through at speed. A few years ago? I think it was nearer 5, but these are the gloves I use most of the time. They cost more than I wanted but still good, so time for me to start looking for a new pair as I have just put the "Curse" on them by reminding them that they are getting old.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeeGee, why do you need gloves in nice weather? Just curious because I don't use them unless it's cold/wet. Protection in case of falls maybe?

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Performance gloves. Not comfortable at all! I bought them hoping they'd be as good as my favorites, which are '01 Specialized BG. When I got the BG gloves I liked them so much I bought 3 extra pairs. Now my last pair is rather worn and I don't know what to do. Since the Performance gloves are so crappy, I guess I'll try one of the '06 BG gloves.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, I don't even wear the perf gloves any more. I use, I think it is ironman, with great gel padding. It took away the numbing problems with perf gloves. Besides the stitching fails with perf gloves and the gel falls out. Nuisance time.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    DeeGee, why do you need gloves in nice weather? Just curious because I don't use them unless it's cold/wet. Protection in case of falls maybe?
    I guess I don't really need 'em, but now that I've been wearing gloves for eight months or so, I feel weird without them. Yes, they'd protect if I fell, and I like the padding, but to be honest, I also like the feeling I get when I'm about to saddle up, and the last thing I do is slip on my gloves and tighten the velcro on top. I really FEEL like a cyclist at that moment. Weird, huh?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go down, without full finger gloves on, you'll know why you wear them.

My Bikes
    2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't gloves give you a weird tan on the backs of your hands?
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingbets

Yes, which goes nicely with the weird tan on my legs.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are we discussing summer gloves when it's 6 degrees F out????? Oh, you mean it's not actually this cold everywhere?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkijohn
    Why are we discussing summer gloves when it's 6 degrees F out????? Oh, you mean it's not actually this cold everywhere?
    Well, we're expecting mid-80's today. After a long, bitter winter of day time high temps hovering in the lower 50's for two and a half months, it looks like summer is returning. It's been rough.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we're expecting mid-80's today. After a long, bitter winter of day time high temps hovering in the lower 50's for two and a half months, it looks like summer is returning. It's been rough.
    Just think of those bike skills you are missing out on. Rubber that goes so hard with the cold it has no grip- Potholes suddenly appearing through frost erosion- Streams of water to splash through from the burst water mains- Then the ice that follows that. Then there is the real fun of trying to get out of the house in shorts. The knees never know what hit them.

Now to get back to the Initial posting- Gloves do more than keep your hands warm. The extra padding does help alleviate the Numbness in the palms, the material will give you grip on the Bars and the covering on the back of the hands will stop a bit of wind chill, grit rash. and bee stings. One irate bee hitting your hand tailfirst at 20mph does hurt. Then on top of that they come in all colours to suit all personalities.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingbets
    It's not weird. For many it's a sign of being a "real" cyclist. Just like the tan lines on your arms and legs.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, this thread has convinced me to add gloves to my cycling equipment this year. At the very least it will stop the pain in my palms from the deeply-etched "MARIN" on the grips of my new-to-me hybrid. Gary, I hope you let us know what gloves you come home with and give us a report on how they are...

Tan, schman.
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer I started noticing old age spots on my hands (I'm 56). Talk about depressing, I am my grandfather. Then I figured out it was a "tan hole" where my biking gloves dont cover skin. It was silly how much better I felt knowing that!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie47
    Last summer I started noticing old age spots on my hands (I'm 56). Talk about depressing, I am my grandfather. Then I figured out it was a "tan hole" where my biking gloves dont cover skin. It was silly how much better I felt knowing that!

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really FEEL like a cyclist at that moment. Weird, huh?
    Yup.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    Agreed, I don't even wear the perf gloves any more. I use, I think it is ironman, with great gel padding. It took away the numbing problems with perf gloves. Besides the stitching fails with perf gloves and the gel falls out. Nuisance time.
    save the gel. You can tuck it elsewhere.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of those areas where I don't believe in spending a lot of money. I buy el cheapo Bell gloves at the local X-Box store. My son has some pricey Trek gloves. The palms have a tiny bit more padding, othe than that I can't tell the difference. Maybe I'll find out what the difference is on this thread.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    Actually, another good use for gloves (the padded variety) is to help avoid "handlebar palsy". I learned about this one the hard way after a couple of weeks of riding without gloves and without padded handlebar tape. Your ulnar nerve runs up the palm of your hand, and controls several things, including touch sensation and dexterity in your ring and little fingers. After a couple of weeks of riding without gloves, I found two fingers on my left hand going numb and losing their dexterity. What does it is road vibration transmitted through the bike structure and handlebars. Riding with gloves solved the problem (it took weeks to get back to normal).

And this was just on the road. I shudder to think what mountain biking could do to my hands.

You know you want to. Eatadonut's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some PI "gel lite" gloves, or something like that. Very light, with just a little padding in the palms, they're comfortable and super light - I wore them through a texas summer, and my hands were NOT the sweatiest part.
    Weather today: Hot. Humid. Potholes.