Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Preparing for that "Special" ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Preparing for that "Special" ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 03:36 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know that some of us do long rides, or several centurys in a year and some of us are just ging to be pleased if we can do a 20 miler for the first time. Doesn't matter what your aims are for this year- most of us are going to have to have some extra training to do that event. Just a reminder to you now- that ride will come up sooner than you think so start training NOW.

My big ride is a month earlier than usual so I have already lost a month. It is a 12 hour slog offroad so I will have to be fit for it. To keep in training over the winter I have been doing extra rides in the week but I now have to think of an extra session at the gym aswell. Then on top of that I have to start preparing the bike. Seems daft- but My ride is on a Tandem and that means that I will not be able to get any spares from the trade vans en route. So it is time to check sprockets on the Crankset- change the drive chains and get a spare run in, get the wheels away to be re-trued, And then check the whole bike for anything that is not up to standard. Then make certain that the spares kit is up to date so I don't have a last minute panic because I don't have a spare gear cable or spare set of brake pads, all of which may be required on the ride.
Am I just be Anal about my preparation , or are many of you starting to prepare for this seasons rides this early in the year? Any special hints you can pass onto the rest of us- Or are you all those fit Bu&&ars that disappear into the distance after the first 5 minutes of my ride?

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-06, 11:41 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about the name of the ride? Some of us live in Great Britian and might show up to support you. Try having a few kegs of Real Ale out before the start. Have the other riders blitzed before the start .
Why no support from the vans. You two pay an entry fee, you are entitled to support. Just use rims and tires the vans carry. Or use as many single bike components as you can, they only need to last the 12 hours. On another topic I always thought the Lands End to John o'Groats time was just under 2 days. Now I hear it is about 45 minutes set by an F-14 military jet. Hardly seems fair I may do the LeJog run soon but not the 1200 to 1300 miles recommended by Sustrans. 850-900 seems better, I like what you call A roads.
Old 02-12-06, 03:01 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
How about the name of the ride? Some of us live in Great Britian and might show up to support you. Try having a few kegs of Real Ale out before the start. Have the other riders blitzed before the start .
Why no support from the vans. You two pay an entry fee, you are entitled to support. Just use rims and tires the vans carry. Or use as many single bike components as you can, they only need to last the 12 hours. On another topic I always thought the Lands End to John o'Groats time was just under 2 days. Now I hear it is about 45 minutes set by an F-14 military jet. Hardly seems fair I may do the LeJog run soon but not the 1200 to 1300 miles recommended by Sustrans. 850-900 seems better, I like what you call A roads.
Ride is the South Downs Way in one day, and is run by the British Heart Foundation who took it over from Gavin Rogers in 2004. 100 miles from Winchester to Eastbourne, 10,000 ft of climbing and 95% offroad. Sounds easy but work out your average for a 2 hour hilly offroad ride and take 2mph off it and you can see that a 9mph average will be good. Only a couple of tandems will attempt this ride- you always attempt it and never talk about doing it till you have finished. Of the 400 starters-only 50% will finish. The Tandem does not use standard parts, so the back up van we do use will carry spare wheels- extra spare tyres, handlebars- yep we break those aswell, seatposts, and as many things like deraillers, brake parts and food and water as we can cram in it. This vehicle will also act as a sag vehicle to take the unfortunates that have to abandon onto the next checkpoint. Depends on the weather, but if the trail is difficult on the day- every time we cross a road, the vehicle will be there just in case we need anything. If fine- it will always be at the end of a mobile phone but will only be met on 3 or 4 occasions as the coffee is a must for me on this ride. Keeps me awake when I get bored of just churning away up the many rutted 15% climbs that go on and on and on and........

This ride is hard and gets harder every year. We cannot afford to be complacent about fitness or the preparedness of the bike. That is why so many drop out. Luckily, other than punctures- and a broken chain one year, we have yet to have a mechanical.

Just out of interest- Will this count as a birthday ride? I won't treat it as such, but the distance will cover the combined age of the two riders this year- Next year we'll have to get lost or make a detour to cover the age gap.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-12-06, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW that's quite an undertaking! But to answer your question yes I've been training at the gym since January 1st. I know my training starting point and have been increasing my time & distance on the LifeCycle monthly, have also added weights. I got so crazy that I took a job at the gym so I have no excuses.

I hope to do my first century in May.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.