Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Weather is NOT cooperating!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-10-06, 04:35 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I guess we're getting payback for some of the really nice riding weather we've enjoyed in the Carolinas the last number of weeks. Tomorrow's highs are supposed to only be in the 30's with a mixture of snow and rain. I just rec'd an email that a big ride that was planned for tomorrow has been postponed for a month.

Sunday may be dry but the temps may not make it out of the 30's with a chilly breeze. Plus they're indicating roads could be "iced over" for most of the morning. After another stressful week of work I was really looking forward to getting out and doing a few miles. I NEED to get out and do a few miles.

And Gary says it's going to be 80 degrees in Ca. Then I read where someone posted it hasn't rained for 100+ days in Arizona.

Surely I won't have to drag out the trainer..........I'm sure pics of me on the trainer don't interest any of you!!!

I hope it's better conditions where you are!!
Old 02-10-06, 05:57 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With a low of 22 tonight and a high of 31 Saturday with flurries, it doesn't look much better here in Kansas City.

I wanted to try out my road bike I bought from a thrift store on a flat course. I may try it tomorrow afternoon. I miss riding. It has been a week since I rode.

My plan B is hiking in the woods and jumping on the rebounder.
Old 02-10-06, 07:32 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Sunday may be dry but the temps may not make it out of the 30's with a chilly breeze.
Sounds like a great day to ride!

Old 02-10-06, 08:48 PM
Touring senior

Bikes: Cannondale touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds to me like y'all should move up to central Alberta for some decent riding weather -- supposed to be +16 C., that's about 60 F. Not bad........! 'Course we usually have chinook winds of 20 - 30 kph (12-18 mph) to go along with a temp like that. Thought I'd do a loop out about 30 klicks into the wind and then around to the north and home. The Canadian Rockies provide a nice backdrop for the ride. Can't ride too far tomorrow, got a singing gig with an Elvis impersonator tomorrow night!

Last edited by BigGuy; 02-10-06 at 08:51 PM. Reason: mistake in miles conversion
Old 02-10-06, 09:09 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After several days of rain, CA spent a lovely spring-like week. Just got back at dark this evening from an after-work 25 miler in shorts and (wool) short sleeve jersey. Looking down at white legs going up and down made me long for warm summer rides. We'll have rain again of course....but my daffodils are up, evenings (well, make that afternoons) are longer.......there is hope. Even for JPPE who is weatherbound at present.
Old 02-11-06, 01:51 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like jppe- I had hoped to get in a good Sat. ride. That is just not going to happen. Cold rain with snow mixed in. I have used a stationary bike this week at the fitness room of the temporary apartment we are staying in. It seems to give my legs a decent workout, but I can't seem to get my heart rate up.
I wonder if it has to do with the machines set up. I enter my age into the program and it seems to lessen the resistance even though it is set on the highest setting.
I think tomorrow I will try it and enter my age as 35 to see if there is a difference.
Then it is off for the week to FLA on business, Naples, Lauderdale and Miami. I'll be using the hotel exercise rooms.
Old 02-11-06, 02:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Weather still a bit cool over here- Rain- getting to be a rarity and we have had drought conditions for 16 months here in the south east of the UK.

Doesn't stop the riding though but picture me tomorrow. Only me and Stuart on the Tandem, as others can't make it- Out by 9AM with temperature just on or below freezing- Trails will be hard, if not from frost- just from no give in the dry soil- Then up the hills and will take a different route to take in some longer ones and a short basket of one at 20%. Then down for breakfast and it will be well deserved. Then a gentle meander back over the hills to take in a long drag of about 3 miles to get over the over-eating and the highlight of a 15% descent of 1 mile covered in ruts, on chalk with no grip and the odd flint the size of a football. By which time the Occasional riders will be up and about and it will be time to head off home for a bit lunch before the garden calls me to do some work on it.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-06, 04:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather in my part of Northern California has been unbelievable, good enough for a 100 K ride today. I feel very lucky.
Old 02-11-06, 04:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to relocate from North Dakota! Our forecast is -5 F tonight and high in the teens tomorrow.......a "cold front" with -20 to 30 F lows and and hopefully +4 F for highs and -30 to - 40 wind chill is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.....usually lasts week to 10 days. I just put my snowblower away after removing a 2 to 3 ft deep drift from my driveway after our 7 inches of fresh snow that arrived with 25 to 30 (gusts 45 to 50) MPH winds. We are hoping to see the street & grass in April :>(
BCNU
Gary
Old 02-11-06, 06:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too good here in upstate NY either, I'm afraid. We had a nice warm stretch a little while back, which of course I missed half of due to travel. Now it's cold again, with snow on the roads. I'm convinced it's because my new bike has arrived. Haven't seen it yet (and the LBS is closed tomorrow ), but I'm certain that once I do get my hands on it the temperatures will drop sub-zero and the snow will pile up to the rafters...
Old 02-11-06, 07:03 PM
Not So Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went for a ride today, 5" of fresh powder and temps of 28F - was a great ride as the winds were moderate and the sun was shinning. This is my first winter of riding and have enjoyed every ride I can get. Not having to put the bike away in the fall when the weather turns cold has opened up a new season
of riding for me and kept me off the couch!
Old 02-11-06, 07:24 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, couldn't ride yesterday or today (business travel) so I'm looking forward to a nice long one tomorrow. I'm so far behind on February's goal I may have to file for mileageruptcy. It's supposed to be around 70 degrees tomorrow. Yes, it's chilled down a bit.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-11-06, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I finished putting together a Fixed gear Thursday evening (late winter project). I happened @ work to look at Radar and saw snow moving in Friday (KY), but figured I had 3-4 hrs. So I took off at 3, got in 15 miles. 31 degrees. Started to snow as I took wife out to Valentines Dinner (beat the rush!). Woke up to an inch of snow this a.m.
Old 02-11-06, 09:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
Not too good here in upstate NY either, I'm afraid. We had a nice warm stretch a little while back, which of course I missed half of due to travel. Now it's cold again, with snow on the roads. I'm convinced it's because my new bike has arrived. Haven't seen it yet (and the LBS is closed tomorrow ), but I'm certain that once I do get my hands on it the temperatures will drop sub-zero and the snow will pile up to the rafters...

That new Madone is going to be cutting throught the air so fast your going to need to rig up some heaters on it to keep you warm on into the spring!!
Old 02-11-06, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went out today on my CX for the first time since December 1st. Temp was -8C but no wind and a very bright sun. Streets are clear of ice and dry.

Put in 35 miles. Beats riding the trainer!