Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I slipped on the ice and fell today (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/173062-i-slipped-ice-fell-today.html)

oilfreeandhappy 02-10-06 11:51 PM

I slipped on the ice and fell today

I was taking it very slow, because we had some snow and ice. I was doing fine on the road, and cut over to a bike trail. There was no way to avoid it, the wheels immediately slipped sideways. I didn't get hurt at all, and nobody was around to drain my pride. It was so slick, I could hardly stand up, and pull my bike vertical. I did fine on the remainder of the 8-mile ride to work.

SugarHillGMC 02-11-06 05:45 AM

You might want to try studded tires. Bought 2 sets for our mountain bikes from the LBS and these things are great. My daughter (almost Cat 2 road) and I use them for mtn bike road rides throughout the winter. They stick to ice like it isn't even there.

John

phillybill 02-11-06 06:27 AM

THat happened to be a number of years ago....this was before clipless pedals. Needless to say I hyper extended my left knee. I finished my ride to work, but was on crutched for the next 2 months after that. Did not have studded tires back then

I-Like-To-Bike 02-11-06 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by phillybill
THat happened to be a number of years ago....this was before clipless pedals. Needless to say I hyper extended my left knee. I finished my ride to work, but was on crutched for the next 2 months after that. Did not have studded tires back then

Were you attached to the pedal with straps or some other means at the time of the accident? If so, do you think that you would have suffered the knee injury if you had been using platform pedals?

oilfreeandhappy 02-11-06 12:24 PM

I only use the straps on my pedals. I don't think it would have made any difference, what I had. It was just too slick. Admittedly, I've never tried the studded tires.

stapfam 02-11-06 01:35 PM

I like to ride offroad, but a few years ago went out with a friend on the road. Cold morning- frost everywhere and I did not want to ride. Got into the swing of it and after about 5 miles we had our first climb. No problems and started descending- me following. Suddenly my mate just flipped the bike- Literally did a 180 with feetup in the air. He was about 20 ft in front of me and I did not brake, turn the bars or anything, but as I hit the same patch of black ice, I did just as good a 180. Neither of us hurt, and no damage to clothing or bikes. Picked ourselves up and carried on riding. 20 miles later we stopped at a cafe and it had warmed up a bit- brilliant morning so the breakfast was well deserved. Started to take a seat in the cafe- took off goggles- gloves and--- As I touched the helmet it fell to bits. That flip was a heavier landing than I thought and all that was holding the helmet together was the outer shell.

No moral to this, but I am glad that I am one of those that always rides with a helmet.

Roody 02-11-06 04:31 PM

I fell a couple of times my first winter, now I rarely do. (Never say never!) As with everything, experience is the best teacher. I vote for studded tires too. You can sure go a lot faster with them! And feel much more secure.

I-Like-To-Bike 02-11-06 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
I only use the straps on my pedals. I don't think it would have made any difference, what I had. It was just too slick. Admittedly, I've never tried the studded tires.

I have no doubt that type of pedals won't prevent a fall on unexpected ice. My question concerns causing or aggravating a leg/knee/ankle injury (as reported by PhillyBill) due to being attached to the pedals while suddenly falling.

jeff williams 02-11-06 06:33 PM

I have used (not very freezy here) wide mtb tires, lower psi front..low psi -both really.
I keep off the saddle and weight whichever tire need the weight\pressure.
Front slippage is a hard correction, keep the bike very upright. I've done corrections but can't really explain how...I learned it mtbing. Maybe moving the frame into the direction of the stee\uncontrolled drift. Moving a frame sideways means sliding the ony tire in traction. :eek: Go with the flow.
But it can work, you also can strain the mucles in your inner thighs moving the frame sideways rear.
The rear slipping is not so hard eh?
Drop a bike the same as a motorcycle, rear brake clamped -slide it sideways and get off. The leg to the underside -( you drop the left side of the cycle...why?) you lift left first! Ride it out skidding with on\with the bike.

Bad stuff, get the bike away from you if you can, chuck it.
Bikes can hurt.
Sorry to hear about the fall. Some ice you don't see. Keep very upright cornering.