User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 Multitrack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for geocachers

Seems biking and geocaching would go hand in hand, especially for us seasoned citizens. I discovered geocaching about 2 months after I started commuting 15 mi. one way to and from work every day, and it's a gas! Found several right on my route to work. Anybody else enjoying this sport/avocation/hobby/madness?

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radiographer......please share with us lesser mortals....what is geocaching?

Hmmmm....let's see....."caching" is the sound of a cash register, and "geo" has to do with the earth, soooo....
    "geocaching" = a paleolithic cash register (Flintstones?); or
    = a cash register imbedded in solid rock (prevents snatch & grab)
    = a "geo"stationary cash register in orbit over the equator.

And to think you've several right on your route...wow!

Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geocaching is basically a modern version of a scavenger/treasure hunt but done with GPS receivers. Actually you don't really need a GPS receiver but it's typically standard equipment as caches are called-out with lat/lon locations. Also, geocaching has many sub-activities as some caches involve clues leading to other caches (multicaches) or involve other themes. Some are "contests" put on by people maintaining the caches. Others are contests initiated by the cache-seekers who place objects in the cache. One such popular contest involves a race whereby the a person will release various items into caches to see which ones get the furthest. People picking up the items transfer them from one cache to another and then log it in a website. A cache can have a specific theme too.

Another related activity is benchmarking. The activity has gotten so popular that GPS manufacturers are actually marketting receivers with geocaching-specific features. Check out the official geocaching website for some more information.

I've been into geocaching for a few years now. I think it's an excellent activity because it gets people outdoors and often "points out" places that would otherwise go unlooked. For instance, I located one cache that was in a very secluded and peaceful spot and next to a very interesting tree. There's a MTBer near me who maintains a bunch of caches.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Khuon!

Thanks for the info. I can see that it could be an addictive "madness"!