Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte; Specialized FSR120 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do older guys shave their legs?

I'm really new to this activity having only been riding a road bike for a few months now. Right now it's pretty cold out so I'm in tights most of the time but what about when spring gets here? I really hate to be a victim of peer pressure but in a normal group of cyclists I'm afraid my hairy legs really stand out. So I guess I'm asking if it's cool for older guys to shave their legs or is it better to go natural ?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another sign of a few advanced years for me......mine seems to have disappeared the last few years......or maybe it's just that I've been going so fast it has blown off!!!

Seriously I know some that do but most probably don't. It would be a good subject to take a poll on, though.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fierte
    I'm really new to this activity having only been riding a road bike for a few months now. Right now it's pretty cold out so I'm in tights most of the time but what about when spring gets here? I really hate to be a victim of peer pressure but in a normal group of cyclists I'm afraid my hairy legs really stand out. So I guess I'm asking if it's cool for older guys to shave their legs or is it better to go natural ?
    At our age, peer pressure should be a distant memory. Shave if you like, or go natural if you prefer. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shaving's a pain in the butt to do regularly and to get used to-- your legs feel wierd for a while, and the locals aren't quite "sure" about you. But then, get a good road rash and hairy legs are a pain, too. Your choice. Long ago I decided to take my chances with hair. Must say that bronzed, well musceled legs are set off by the hairless look-- but then, that's not an issue for me.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never shaved my legs and have yet to notice any ill effects. My advice: Do what YOU want.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    old guyz shave? you bet

the ear hairs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen
    old guyz shave? you bet

the ear hairs

Cyclezen....a few more years for you and you can join me in adding "nosehairs".
    David (Still searching for his bellybutton which he somehow lost around age 50).
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear

Cyclezen....a few more years for you and you can join me in adding "nosehairs".
    David (Still searching for his bellybutton which he somehow lost around age 50).

And let's not forget eyebrows. What IS it with them anyway? Each one of mine has one or two gonzo hairs that have a mind of their own -- and grow faster than a speeding bullet.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if increased hair activity in eye(brows), ears, and nose is inversely related to decreased activity on the dome?

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte; Specialized FSR120 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys crack me up. Thanks for making my morning a little brighter

One of my long term goals is to ride the Hotter 'N Hell 100 (k), if not this year then the next, and I told one of my long term cyclist friends that I would shave them for THAT, if I made it there.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    At our age, peer pressure should be a distant memory. Shave if you like, or go natural if you prefer. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
    +1 on this opinion. When you reach our age, just do what you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na. I use Nair hair remover.

Seriously, I think the hair on my muscular legs make them look sexier. Why change a good thing.

SG

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I trained as a race official I heard that shaving legs was once done so it hurt less when bandages were pulled off of road rash. I do not crash enough for that. Aerodynamic reasons? Has anyone even tested it? I doubt it is worth the trouble. To fit in with a fashion clique? Now that sounds about right. I was too mature for that the day I learned to ride. The only fun/sport riders I have seen with smooth legs were clique racers mixing with a social ride or pre-op transsexuals in a gay bike club in LA. Now which was which .
    This space open

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I had my legs shaved was when I was 18 and had to go in plaster for 3 months. They said it would ease the pain when the plaster did come off. They were wrong.

As to shaving the legs- my bald patch gets larger every year so anyone know if transplants are available or if they work.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fierte
    When it's cold and you're wearing tights or leg warmers, don't bother.
    When it's warmer weather and you're wearing bibs (I'm sure you're old enough to have graduated from shorts), shaving makes lots of sense.
    The 4 or 5 main reasons for shaving have been discussed in several threads. Do a search or PM me for the list.

I'm 61 and I'll be shaving again once the warmer temps get here. Gotta show off my leg muscles and new tattoo.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shaved my legs during my racing years (1984 through 1992) and haven't shaved since. I've had some serious road rash both with and without the hair and it is easier to handle without the hair. Somehow, shaving my legs at 55 y.o. would seem a little pretentious.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I have never shaved my legs and have yet to notice any ill effects. My advice: Do what YOU want.
    I haven't tested it yet, but would think that shaving would cut down on some of the wind noise at top speed and make it easier to hear irregular sounds from the drive train.
    Just Peddlin' Around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you stay up on both wheels without crashing, why bother? I son is a weight lifter and shaves from head to toe. I've often wondered how many razors he goes through in a week. He's too big for me to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're all wrong. Period. This shave-the-legs thing is a red hairing . The real question is how to get chainring-grease tatoo off your right calf. I know its the mark of a newbie...but I've been so branded for almost 20 years. Once saw a rider with that same unmistakable mark for-reals tatooed on his leg. I prefer to renew mine afresh every few rides.

not the jam
    My Bikes
    IRO Jamie Roy and many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My calves went bald years ago. I don't shave what hair is left on the rest of the leg.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    I haven't tested it yet, but would think that shaving would cut down on some of the wind noise at top speed and make it easier to hear irregular sounds from the drive train.
    Not an issue for me as the only thing I hear anymore is the ringing in my ears!

My Bikes
    Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some do; some don't.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...'holy *****...what a ride!'"

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shankton
    My calves went bald years ago. I don't shave what hair is left on the rest of the leg.
    Same here, primarily on the outside surfaces. I wonder whether friction with trousers is a cause.

Of course, the gradually expanding bald spot on top of my head is just plain old genetics and hormones in action. My father and my wife's father both went bald in their 20s, so I tell my sons not to get too attached to their (head) hair, since the only prevention for male pattern baldness has been known since someone observed that the castrati and eunuchs never went bald.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just pull up my white ankle sox a little higher and nobody seems to notice my hairy legs.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't suck in our guts, so why should we shave our legs ??!!!!!!
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast