Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wahooooo!!!!!

I left the stress behind and was able to get in a few miles today. Just an incredible, absolutely perfect day for riding here in NC today. Temps were in the low 70's with sunny skies. Plus the wind was not too bad and actually didn't work against me too badly for a very nice change.

Mother Nature has teased us this week with extremely nice weather. Daffodils and other spring flowers have started pushing their way up through the planting beds. The buds on the early blooming trees look to be on the verge of bursting open if the temperatures stayed like this for a few more days. Unfortunately it could be a very drastic change over the weekend with the possibility of sleet, snow and freezing rain......Back to reality!!

It's truly amazing the difference between riding in 70 degree weather versus 40 degree weather. Today I felt like I could have climbed the steepest mountain and not blinked (or bonked!). I managed to carve out 65 miles in about 3hrs 20 mins with an average speed 18+ mph which I felt pretty good about without having any wheels to ride behind. I was even in my 52/12 for 3-4 miles on a flat stretch where I had a little helping breeze and just sat there crunching out a nice cadence. Now that was bliss......

There were more dogs on the road today than I've seen over the last 12 mos combined so they much be enjoying the weather as well. However, the Swans seemed to be very complacent just floating on the ponds.....those were the critters that I was the most concerned with.

Man......what a great, great day to ride!!! And I really needed it!!!!

Saturday: See pic below. Stepped out in the cold drizzle to get the mail and saw that that some of the daffodils we have couldn't wait any longer.....Boy are they in for a very rude surprise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jppe; 02-18-06 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - and it is 3F here, record low tonight of -9F, snowy and windy, with another record low coming tomorrow!

A taste of spring? - more like a taste of the South Pole!

I'm wearing a stocking cap INSIDE! (well, I just had everything shaved off the top with a 1.5 clipper Wednesday. I look like a cue ball)

The cold is coming your way.

I think we should send it back to Greenland to refreeze those melting glaciers.

Just checked - it is now 0F, 15 mph wind, -19 wind chill

Here is what it looks like not far away:
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-17-06 at 04:23 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing jppe. The weather in central NC was perfect for riding. I had already planned to ride after work so I was out of the office and on the trail in half an hour. Despite 2 miscues, I beat my previous best time on the mid level trail (still nothing to brag about). The temperaure was perfect with just a few clouds in the sky and the air was cool. The trail conditions were fast with only 2 mud spots. At 5:00 with only 1.5 hours until the trail closes, there were at least 8 or 9 others still riding.
    Sorry to hear about the cold DnvrFox, but look at it this way. When the sweltering heat of summer hits North Carolina, you'll be able to tell us about the cool mountain winds of Colorado. Besides as jppe said, tomorrow winter gets to play a joke on us and bring in a 30+ degree drop with sleet on Saturday and Sunday and cold on Monday. Yechh! Some three day weekend.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr Fox is right; it's 5 below on my deck right now....

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
    Dnvr Fox is right; it's 5 below on my deck right now....
    You guys are pikers! Its minus 13 here right now. Did 24 miles on the trainier today. Rode over the Galibier with Vino and Botero. They beat me to the line though!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did 16 miles @ 31 degrees. However did see a few patches of early spring Flowers Blooming. We called them easter lily's wife always tells me correct name but I always forget.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring type weather in parts of the UK right now, but even though we still have a drought- everything is wet. Couple of inches of rain in the week and those rock hard trails have a thin covering of slurry over them that makes it difficult to get grip uphills and has cut out the speed downhills. Temperature up in the high 30's or when the sun gets up low 50's. Ideal weather for riding. Pity the trails and wind don't agree. Then on top of that, trail maintenance has been cutting back the encroaching shrubs so plenty of Hawthorn about to puncture tyres with. Had one wednesday night on the Tandem but luckily it went down in the bike shed the next day and not out on the trail.

Funny thing about the flowering plants is that everything is late this year. All in growth, but well behind. Can't say the same about the animals though. After a winter of not being disturbed, they have lost the fear of humans. Incidentally- the latest batch of bird flu birds found dead in europe have been Swans. (Dead birds found in several countries confirmed as the virus) Haven't seen many of them on the trails, but after the incident with JCM I will keep clear of those this year.

Still-got to get out as much as possible. The only jobs at home are in the garden and that is too wet to do anything with.
    Last edited by stapfam; 02-18-06 at 01:10 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Funny thing about the flowering plants is that everything is late this year.
    Our "spring" (including flowering plants, etc.) doesn't generally occur here until about the middle to end of March, sometimes later.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe's forecast turned out to be correct. I returned home late last night. Looking at my children this morning thery were actually sunburned from playing outside on Friday. Meanwhile a view from the window today shows nothing but snow! My bad luck on business travel seems to continue, When I am away it is perfect, the moment I get home it is winter again.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to get a quick ride in today. I brought the bike out and it started snowing. So I brought the bike inside. Soon it stopped, so I brought the bike out. It started snowing again. So I brought it back inside again. I played this silly game for about an hour then gave up. But I feel like a real woos compared to guys like PastorBob and DnvrFox. I'm sure they look outside, see snow and cold weather and ride anyway. We've got it pretty good here in North Carolina.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the weather. Here in DC it was about as perfect as riding weather gcould get on Wed and Thur and even Friday was in the very good camp. Today the temp ws dropping like a second term president's approval rating. But Thursday, ah Thursday. Only had time for 43 miles, but could have done 100 time permitting. Today I did about half that in 35 degree weather and feel like I used more energy than I did on the longer ride. Well, Spring Training has started, so maybe, just maybe we'll start getting some real riding weather before long. In the meantime we'll give thanks for the occasional perfect day and remember it in our log books.

Tim

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "tlc20010" I thought one was supposed to 'tuck' when taking a fall, How come your road rash is on the inside? (AVATAR) - BTW: Dang that must'a hurt!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    "tlc20010" I thought one was supposed to 'tuck' when taking a fall, How come your road rash is on the inside? (AVATAR) - BTW: Dang that must'a hurt!
    Yeah...damned joggers. Actually, they weren't jogging, but standing in the middle of the trail b.s.ing with their backs to my direction of travel. I rang my little bell and yelled, but they wre too engrossed in their gossip. I was crossing a wooden bridge with no where to go but down--and that's when the bridge ended and the tarmac began........I remember someone telling me to just remember, your last fall is not your last fall....unless you decide to give up cycling completely. But it did make for some good photos.....