Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Bike Preference?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Bike Preference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-06, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Tightwad
Please note that all of these bikes are lugged steel framed older bikes with the
trike being steel also. None of the aluminum junk pedeled today.
That's a pretty strongly held opinion for someone who claims to have never ridden an aluminum framed bike.
Old 02-19-06, 12:34 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's a pretty strongly held opinion for someone who claims to have never ridden an aluminum framed bike.
My opinion is based on a weekend with an aluminum framed trek hybrid and many years
of factory machining experience. Steel has properties that aluminum simply can't match
for bicycles to my mind.
Old 02-19-06, 01:40 PM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
badger1,I have had to make some compromises since I can back to bikes-4 years ago-after being gone maybe 20 years.1st I got a very heavy dual suspension sporting goods store bike-the wide tires and the somewhat upright seating position made me figure I could ride again.The skinny high pressure tires,and bent over position of the road bikes(60's-70's) just killed my gimpy neck.I raised the bar on the cheapo sus bike(extensions) and it worked fine.I then bought a Y-50 carbon frame off ebay,and had a lighter dual sus bike;raised HB etc.
A couple of weeks ago I pulled the old road bike off the hook in the ceiling,and updated it for my gimpy body.I managed to stuff 38mm tires under it(had to shave the front one).It looks really odd ( almost a sacrilege),but it rides great.I still use the MTB more,but it is nice to get a lightweight-fast fix once in a while.Thanks.Charlie
PS It is hard to beat steel for taking the shock out of an unsuspended bike with smallish tires.Maybe carbon can??Aluminum is great on suspended bikes,or big tire bikes(does dent very easily however).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P2190047.JPG (73.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-19-06, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I ride an EZ Sport recumbent. The reason; why have painif you don't need to.
Old 02-19-06, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bike, road bike, road bike. Wouldn't touch a MTB unless forced to. But that's only what's right for me. What's right for everybody else is what's right for everybody else.
Old 02-20-06, 01:58 PM

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm virtually all road (though I have a nice mountain bike), and until a couple of years ago rode my titanium road bike nearly exclusively. Then I bought I cyclocross bike which I've found capable of taking me just about anywhere I point it. Now I ride my Cross-check all the time. I love the go anywhere feeling, and with its beefier tires, I'm not concerned everytime a see a little gravel on the road like I was when I rode on 23mm tires.

Of course, now I've signed up for a fairly intense three-day mountain bike trip, so I guess it's back to riding that bike for at least a while...
Old 02-20-06, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I am glad it not just me. I am finding I like riding my mtn bike more. I have smoother tires than the real knobby ones but if I want to hit a field or go off road I can. Exercise is exercise. In fact I can get a better workout pushing the heavier mtn bike. You know it is possible to go slower and still get a better workout.
Old 02-27-06, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
My rides:

1971 Gitane Tour de France with Northroad bars .

1974 Peugeot PX10 with Moustache bars.

1988 Bridgestone MB-2 with 1.3 slicks.

1993 Trek 930 mtb with 1.5 slicks converted to a single speed.

It's nice to have a variety to choose from. I've been riding nothing but the recently completed single speed lately, but I'm sure I'll go back to the others when the novelty wears off.

All of my bikes are lugged steel, but I can't say that I like steel better than aluminum, because I've never ridden an aluminum bike.

My 58th birthday was yesterday. I told my wife that I'd rather buy my own present from her. I got a Brooks saddle and a wonderful vintage Mavic wheelset instead of clothes I'll never wear.
Old 02-27-06, 03:02 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I have 4 working road bikes (see my signature; the 1960 Capo Sieger is a completely disassembled work-in-progress "project") and 1 mountain bike.

My favorite all-purpose "beater" ride for general transportation, in the rain, at night, for shopping or carrying anything, or anywhere security is an issue, is the 1970 Peugeot UO-8. With its 70PSI 27x1-3/8" knobbies, barcons, and 43-93 12-speed gearing (45-42/13-26), it's great in traffic.

For commuting to work, general recreation, and unladen transportation where parking security is not an issue, my current favorite is the 1959 Capo, which is a traditional Reynolds 531 long-wheelbased road bike. The 55cm C-T frame fits me perfectly, and the 700Cx28 tires give me a some security on real roads with potholes and debris. It looks great and rides great, and my 18-speed 47-104 "half-step-plus-overdrive" gearing (50-42-39 / 13-15-17-19-21-23) covers all but the very steepest hills I encounter. (I plan to replace the 23T low-gear cog with a 24 or perhaps a 25.)

My 1981 Bianchi is my fastest bike, particularly on sprints and climbs, and it is a blast to ride, but its 23mm tires, twitchiness, and harsh ride make it strictly a fair weather friend. I feel much more secure on something with slightly wider tires and a more forgiving frame geometry.

I do like my 1988 "old school" mountain bike, but I dislike having only two hand positions (grips and short end extensions), so I tend to use it mainly offroad.

My bottom line is that I still prefer traditional drop-bar steel-framed road bikes, just as I did in the 1960s.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-27-06, 03:35 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a road bike (Cannondale Saeco CAD-3), a Fuji Touring bike, and a new Scott Sub30.
Old 02-27-06, 03:45 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally, I find that the best bike for me to ride on any given day is my bike. I see others as they ride their own bike. I prefer mine. I have fun. I get a good workout.

This is not to say that I don't have fantasies about other bikes. When it actually comes to riding though, I select the one that awaits me in my own garage.
Old 02-27-06, 05:31 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Although I race XC on a hardtail, I find that just a functional expediency. I really prefer riding my Yeti ASX FR/DH bike almost everywhere else. Even grinding up the hills - - just because I know that every other part of the trail is going to be more fun with big, forgiving squishy full suspension
Old 02-27-06, 06:44 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My opinion is based on a weekend with an aluminum framed trek hybrid and many years
of factory machining experience. Steel has properties that aluminum simply can't match
for bicycles to my mind.
Utter BS
Old 02-28-06, 04:37 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
for bicycles to my mind.
Steel does have at least one property aluminum simply can't match: longevity.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-28-06, 06:38 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I have aluminum bikes that are 20 years old and going strong. how long does longevity need to be? I also have all steel bikes, steel and aluminum combo, and aluminum and carbon fiber: the ride and overall frame quality is dictated by design, not materials.
Old 03-01-06, 07:33 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
I have aluminum bikes that are 20 years old and going strong. how long does longevity need to be? I also have all steel bikes, steel and aluminum combo, and aluminum and carbon fiber: the ride and overall frame quality is dictated by design, not materials.
I agree. Worrying about the longevity of aluminum bikes is rediculous. I know of many many aluminum Treks, Kleins, and Cannondales from the mid-80s that are still on the road. I own an aluminum Trek (1989) that has been through Hades. It was my team bike as a Cat 2 racer in the late 80s and was crashed many times. It even spent some time later in an off-road cyclocross configuration and still exists today as a single speed grocery store runner.

Don't even ask how many steel bikes that I've owned with broken frames in that same period. Okay, six. (one cracked head tube lug, one cracked seat stay lug, one broken rear dropout, one cracked downtube, two cracked bottom bracket lugs...)

Steel vs. aluminum vs. carbon? I own them all!

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 03-01-06 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 12:47 PM
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
It has another that I don't think has been mentioned: If something breaks (or if you want to add anything), you can weld it or braze it back. Much more DIY-friendly.
Old 03-02-06, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Dchiefransom has it right. LWB recumbents are the way to go. My choice was a Sun Easy Sport AX, which is cheaper than the rans stratus. All comfort & no pain anywhere. Who can argue with that. bk
Old 03-02-06, 03:35 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Dchiefransom has it right. LWB recumbents are the way to go. My choice was a Sun Easy Sport AX, which is cheaper than the rans stratus. All comfort & no pain anywhere. Who can argue with that. bk
ARGUE, ARGUE, ARGUE, ARGUE!
Old 03-02-06, 04:08 PM
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Dchiefransom has it right. LWB recumbents are the way to go.
I didn't know you could get a recumbent in a LWB - - I'd only seen stepsides
Old 03-02-06, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I can't see owning just one bike. If I want to get out into the country and see some pheasants, deer, etc (yesterday a bald eagle) I take the hybrid. If I want to really log some miles and burn a lot of calories I use the road bike. I'd like to try a cyclocross bike next to combine the two advantages......
Old 03-02-06, 08:49 PM
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
56 here, and have just discovered my favorite bike is my new fixed gear bike. Major fun to ride!

San Francisco, California
Old 03-02-06, 09:39 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Ezra Pound observed, "Everyone likes the smell of their own farts." In bicycling terms, steel owners often favor steel, and aluminum owners favor theirs, etc. I love my steel bikes. Were I able to afford a carbon, I would gladly love that one, too. And so on.

Personally, the one aluminum bike I've ridden regularly tended to go "klunk" over bumps whereas my steel went "twang". Personally, I much preferred the feeling of twang.

[Hasn't this frame material thing been debated ad infinitum over at Road Cycling section?
Old 03-02-06, 10:03 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by webist
Generally, I find that the best bike for me to ride on any given day is my bike. I see others as they ride their own bike. I prefer mine. I have fun. I get a good workout.

This is not to say that I don't have fantasies about other bikes. When it actually comes to riding though, I select the one that awaits me in my own garage.
(so totally right-on)
+1

now I happen to have a penchant for roadies, but thats not to say I can't enjoy (and often do) a bimble on my own MTBs, on-road and off.
However, I will note that 'comfort' is high on my list of expectations from my machines, and that includes roadie racers as well as daily commuter. The most obvious thing that leads me to my roadies more than anything else are the bars. I find flat MTB bars mostly uncomfortable. With hands on the grips, my elbows are splayed outward and cause tightening and a great loss of comfort around the shoulders and neck.
On a roadie I find myself most often (95% of time) on the hoods which means my elbows are rolled under and comfortably angled, with the shoulders and neck relaxed. So much better.
I've just added those right-angle bar extenders (not sure what they're called) to one MTB, WHAT A RELIEF! Feels very much like riding the hoods on my roadies.
I'll be spending most of my time on them when riding the MTB - gonna add them to my daily ride/commuter as well. Not sure why I waited this long to do this. Only issue with them is the width is subtantially more than the same position on my roadie bars, but I think adapting to the width isn't going to be a big deal.
Old 03-06-06, 01:44 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update on an earlier post:
This is my old 830 commuting rig. It usually has huge fenders and flaps.
https://i2.tinypic.com/qswgm8.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.