Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling DigitalGee...

The new issue of Bicycling names SanDiego as the number one cycling friendly big city in America. They specifically mention the Bayshore bikeway. OF course they dont bother to tell you where to park, where to start etc. Also at 24 miles its a little short to rate a drive from Orange County. Can you tell me where this magic path is? IS it multi use? Can I go 18 MPH or so safely ? Any other recommendations for a 50 or 60 miler minimizing heavily used streets? Many Thanks Dig...and Congrats to your city's No.1 ranking !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck5.2_in_CA
    The new issue of Bicycling names SanDiego as the number one cycling friendly big city in America. They specifically mention the Bayshore bikeway. OF course they dont bother to tell you where to park, where to start etc. Also at 24 miles its a little short to rate a drive from Orange County. Can you tell me where this magic path is? IS it multi use? Can I go 18 MPH or so safely ? Any other recommendations for a 50 or 60 miler minimizing heavily used streets? Many Thanks Dig...and Congrats to your city's No.1 ranking !
    May I recommend from Camp Pendleton (north side of Oceanside) to La Jolla or further and return right along the ocean. Be sure to do the Old Torrey Pines Grade inside the State Park. You will go through several towns, which will slow you down, but it is a fun ride, many times right next to the ocean, heavily used by bicycling clubs and the like. On a weekend, you will be surrounded by fellow roadies or whatever. I have heard that Camp Pendleton is closed to bicycling due to the terrorism thingie. Not sure about that right now, but it was.

Also,

http://efgh.com/bike/redroute.htm
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck5.2_in_CA
    Well, to begin with, here's a link for some local rides: San Diego County Cycling

As for the Bayshore bikeway (never knew it was called that!), probably the best parking is at the Mission Bay Visitor's Center. From there you have anywhere from a 14 to a 24 mile ride around the bay, mostly on MUPs but occasionally on a few streets.

The MUPs are pretty good, and fairly uncongested in some areas, but of course when you're actually riding along the beach in Mission Beach, you're going to be going 4-6 miles per hour, which can be difficult for the impatient, except that you will be rewarded by countless members of the opposite sex, wearing amazingly brief bikinis (weather permitting), so the pace is actually quite appropriate.

Riding around Mission Bay actually affords you the opportunity to branch out in a variety of directions for longer rides. You can easily ride over to Harbor Boulevard, past the airport, and into our downtown area, which is quite fun on Sundays when traffic is modest. You can take a ferry over to Coronado Island (actually a peninsula) and ride it's perimeter, which is six miles a loop (and scene of my world famous first metric century -- just do 10+ laps!), OR you can ride down the Silver Strand from Coronado all the way to the Mexican border (about 10 miles each way), the route of my famous ride to the Panama Canal.

From the border, you can pedal north in a slightly different route, avoid going back up the Strand, pass through Chula Vista and National City, and back into San Diego, with neat views of the military bases and shipywards along the way.

Or, of course, you can pedal east from Mission Bay and sort of follow the San Diego "river" towards parts east -- I like riding out to Lake Murray and back. Then again, you could head north from Mission Bay and go to Oceanside. The link with rides around San Diego county has a map for a Century that actually does much of what I've described here -- if I remember, you start with the Bay, go down to the border and back, then up to Oceanside via the inland route through Poway and such, and then back down the coast to the starting point. One of these days I might just do that ride.

And last but not least, you can go around Mission Bay a couple of times and not be bored. Oh, and I forget -- you can also branch out to Pt. Loma and go to the Lighthouse (but know that they'll charge you $5 or $6 just to go into the parking lot, so I simply turn around there and head back).

Does this help?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then again, you might try Patterson Road where I live. Narrow, with a ski-slope shoulder of gravel sliding abruptly down into a ditch always stagnant with pissy pasture run-off. Cowboy truck drivers with a blindspot for cyclists inhabit the place. Also a large half mastiff, half Rottweiler belligerent canine known locally as Megasaurus.

While DG stops along his lilting Southern CA route to sip his double mocha latte nonfat venti supremo, I hope he remembers the bucolic cyclists who ride by those cows that make it all possible.

Factoid: For every one gallon of milk, a cow produces another 2 gallons of by-product.

---from a nameless, provincial cyclist who once (I kid you not) skidded out on road splatter of cow pud.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear

While DG stops along his lilting Southern CA route to sip his double mocha latte nonfat venti supremo, I hope he remembers the bucolic cyclists who ride by those cows that make it all possible.
    Which reminds me. What is the best water bottle to carry double mocha latte nonfat venti supremos in? I hate it when they get chilled...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Which reminds me. What is the best water bottle to carry double mocha latte nonfat venti supremos in? I hate it when they get chilled...
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Diego Bay Bike Route
    San Diego, California

Please e-mail comments, corrections and additions to the webmaster at pje@efgh.com.

The San Diego Bay Bike Route is a delightful 25-mile, 2.5-hour ride with no significant hills. Most of it runs along bike lanes or separated bike paths. The scenery is rich and varied.

A nine-mile stretch along south and west sides of San Diego Bay follows the former Coronado Branch of the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railroad. The rails are still visible in some places.

The official name of this route is the Bayshore Bikeway. This name appears on newer signs in some places along the route. The name "Bay Route Bikeway" appears on some older signs, although this name has been disparaged because it is homophonic with "Beirut bikeway".

SANDAG (San Diego Association of Governments) has prepared a fact sheet on the Bayshore Bikeway. It contains a history of the bikeway and two maps.

Directions:

0.00 - Start at the intersection of Broadway and Harbor Drive in Downtown San Diego, right at the foot of Broadway Pier.
    Ride south along a bike path on the west side of Harbor Drive.
    0.41 - Where Harbor Drive crosses Pacific Highway, the separated bike path ends. Continue on Harbor Drive, past the San Diego Convention Center, under the Coronado Bridge, past the 32nd Street Naval Station and past a sign welcoming you to National City.
    5.08- Just before the interchange with Interstate 5, turn sharp right onto Civic Centre Drive.
    5.24 - Civic Centre Drive turns left and becomes Tidelands Avenue.
    6.43 - Just before entering Pepper Park, turn left onto W. 32nd St. (Pepper Park is a good place to stop for a rest.)
    6.63 - Where W. 32nd St. turns left and becomes Marina Way, enter a bike path and follow it across a railroad spur line at grade level.
    6.98 - Soon after crossing the railroad spur, turn left through a break in the retaining wall into the approach to the Gordy Shields Bridge over the Sweetwater River. This turn is poorly marked. Don't miss it! If you pass under Interstate Highway 5, you've gone too far. Cross the bridge and continue south on a bike path next to Interstate 5.
    7.91 - At the end of the path, continue roughly straight ahead on Bay Blvd. NOTE: To the right is a road leading to the Chula Vista Nature Center. Bicycles are not allowed on that road. If you want to visit the Center, park your bike and take a short bus ride.
    8.19 - Turn right onto Lagoon Dr. (For a shorter but less scenic route, you can continue straight ahead and rejoin the Bayshore Bikeway at 9.97.)
    8.51 - The road turns left and becomes Marina Parkway.
    8.79 - Turn right onto G Street.
    8.86 - Turn left onto Sandpiper Way.
    9.31 - Turn right onto a different segment of Marina Parkway.
    9.97 - Turn right onto Bay Blvd. (On the southwest corner of Bay Boulevard and Marina Parkway there is a small park where you may want to stop for a brief rest. The facilities include a rest room and drinking fountain.)
    11.73 - Turn right onto Frontage Road.
    Somewhere along Frontage Road, you will re-enter the City of San Diego, although there is no sign at the city limits.
    12.00 - At the intersection of Main Street, enter a separated bike path at the southwest corner. Follow it through an undeveloped (formerly agricultural) area until it joins Saturn Boulevard. Then follow Saturn Boulevard south.
    12.59 - Leave the bike path and continue straight ahead on Saturn Blvd.
    12.85 - Turn right onto Palm Avenue. You may wish to stop at this intersection for another brief rest. There is a gas station and convenience store on the northwest corner.
    13.61 - After passing a lagoon on your right, turn right onto 13th Street.
    13.86 - Enter the separated bike path at the end of 13th Street. Click here for a photograph of the path (25K).
    Follow the bike path along the south and west sides of San Diego Bay. Just past the end of 7th Street, you will enter the City of Coronado, although there is no sign at the city limits.
    17.54 - Cross Coronado Cays Blvd. and continue north on a separated bike path.
    You may want to stop again at Silver Strand State Park. There is a fence between the bike path and the park, but at one point (about 0.8 mile north of Coronado Cays Blvd.) there is a short, paved path leading through a gap in the fence and down to a rest room. You may also want to ride around the park for a while. There are several tunnels under Silver Strand Boulevard that will take you over to the ocean side of the park.
    Continue north on a separated bike path, passing the Naval Amphibious Base.
    21.57 - Just north of the Naval Amphibious Base is a small city park (Glorietta Bay Park), with rest rooms and drinking water.
    22.11 - Almost across the street from the famous Hotel del Coronado, the bike path veers to the right to follow Pomona Avenue and Glorietta Boulevard eastward.
    22.34 - The separated bike path ends near some tennis courts. Keep right and follow Glorietta Boulevard, which runs along the north side of the Coronado Golf Course.
    23.45 - At the intersection with Fifth Street, turn right onto a separated bike path and follow it under the Coronado Bridge. Click here for a photograph taken from the path.(37K).
    On the other side of the bridge, the path splits. Keep right. (The left branch is a drainage channel.) Enter Tidelands Park.
    Follow the paved bike path through Tidelands Park. Stay close to the bay. As you emerge from Tidelands Park, you get your first really good view of the Downtown San Diego skyline. Click here for a photograph (30K).
    Continue past the Marriott Hotel (formerly the Le Meridien) all the way to the Old Ferry Landing, which is a small, tourist-oriented shopping center.
    24.92 - The Bayshore Bikeway ends next to a pier. Buy your one-way ferry ticket at an adjacent gift shop. Tell the clerk you have a bicycle. The fare is $2.75.
    The ferry departs for Broadway Pier in Downtown San Diego every hour on the half hour. A ten-minute ferry ride will take you back to the starting point.
    Return to home page

Click on cameras for pictures taken from the path.

Last revised June 29, 2005

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also go to www.efgh.com for all the bike paths and routes in San Diego.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Polar works well.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    ---from a nameless, provincial cyclist who once (I kid you not) skidded out on road splatter of cow pud.
    Back in the late 70's I was working in France and I went out to town that had a sports festival for one day. Closed off the roads for Bikes- runners, motorbikes and Karts. The bikers wanted a longer route so they opened up an extra circuit for them to give them a run out into the country. Still remember that first bike race on the longer circuit. (Not me as I was involved in Karts) No-one had checked the route and a farmer had run his cows out to the fields. Every rider was covered in this smelly greenish brown Goo after two laps. Didn't know what it was, but from the smell of it, I did not want to find out either.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys are hillarious as well as informative...Granny could I borrow the rottweiler...theres a beagle that keeps thinking I am lunch when I'm on the Medone. Good tast though cause he never bothers me on the hybrid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you get bored, you can always take the backroad to Campo