Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-06, 05:50 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are some pictures of where we 50+rs do a lot of summer bicycling in Silverthrone/Dillon/Frisco CO

But, as you can tell, it looks a bit different.

There are some pics of the view from our balcony at the motel, and some of one of the bicycling trails along the Blue River. Then you get to see me and Nora. Current temp is 12F.

All taken with my handy dandy cell phone since I left my Canon digital at home!












Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-22-06 at 07:07 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 06:31 PM   #2
jppe
Let's do a Century
 
jppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Is that Breckenridge in the background by chance? That looks like the same parking lot where I locked the car keys to the rental car in the parking lot on a trip out that way almost 20 years ago. The kids were very young. tired and hungry too.....

The camera phone takes pretty doggone good pictures!!

Just a couple more months until those trails are back in use!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-06, 07:04 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
Is that Breckenridge in the background by chance? That looks like the same parking lot where I locked the car keys to the rental car in the parking lot on a trip out that way almost 20 years ago. The kids were very young. tired and hungry too.....

The camera phone takes pretty doggone good pictures!!

Just a couple more months until those trails are back in use!!
More likely 3 - 3.5 months!

That is I-70 in the back and "downtown" Silverthorne in the foreground. Breck is 9 miles to the south (left).
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 01:50 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
The camera phone takes pretty doggone good pictures!!

Just a couple more months until those trails are back in use!!

Just look at those peaks in the background and think of the Downhills you can do when the trail dries out. Should be "Fun" getting to the top of them aswell. Why wait for 3 months to ride them though? I could do with a little Rest in a bed recovering from the over-exertion of just attempting to walk up them, but I think the bike should have gone with you. Even if only to show it what to expect if you feel extra fit one day.

May only be a phone, but those Pics are as good as the first camera that many of us have to start with. Comes back to the technology posting though and for me to use a phone is bad enough. Then to take pictures with it and download.............
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 07:45 AM   #5
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam
Just look at those peaks in the background and think of the Downhills you can do when the trail dries out. Should be "Fun" getting to the top of them aswell. Why wait for 3 months to ride them though? I could do with a little Rest in a bed recovering from the over-exertion of just attempting to walk up them, but I think the bike should have gone with you. Even if only to show it what to expect if you feel extra fit one day.

May only be a phone, but those Pics are as good as the first camera that many of us have to start with. Comes back to the technology posting though and for me to use a phone is bad enough. Then to take pictures with it and download.............
Those peaks are in US Forest Service land an have a "Wilderness" designation - no bikes or wheels of any kind, just human and animal feet. It is possible that the snow will be there year 'round.

However there are a plethora of summer mountain biking trails and road biking trails in the area.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-23-06 at 08:52 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 09:14 AM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of more fun links just for Stapfam!

http://www.coloradodiscoveries.com/a...itctyopen.html

http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/in...ummit&state=CO

[EDIT]

(The picture was taken at 9,000 feet. The top of the mountains is about 13,000 feet)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-23-06 at 09:35 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 11:43 AM   #7
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
A couple of more fun links just for Stapfam!


(The picture was taken at 9,000 feet. The top of the mountains is about 13,000 feet)
Just a quick look but makes our hills just pimples.
In the UK, Bikes are limited to Bridleways. They are not allowed on footpaths. A bridle way is designation exactly as it sound- For horses. Horses- Ramblers (Walkers) and cycles are allowed to use them. Gates where necessary are suitable for horses to pass through--but one important point- NO motor vehicles are allowed. Then there are white roads which are generraly designated not suitable for vehicles and they aren't after the 4x4's and motorbikes have trashed them. Priority on Bridleways is Horses- Ramblers- bikes. There is one that takes priority over all of these and that is Farmers, but they don't cause many problems.

Pity you haven't got something like that in the US. But I can just imagine trying to walk up the trails to the height of those peaks- dodging the Mountain bikers hurtling down. Perhaps a ban on Bikes is more sensible- Will also save on the hospital bills for the bikers when they come off at top speed.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 11:56 AM   #8
p8rider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina Piedmont
Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful pics Dnvrfx!!. A little chilly for a ride though!
p8rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 01:50 PM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam
Just a quick look but makes our hills just pimples.
In the UK, Bikes are limited to Bridleways. They are not allowed on footpaths. A bridle way is designation exactly as it sound- For horses. Horses- Ramblers (Walkers) and cycles are allowed to use them. Gates where necessary are suitable for horses to pass through--but one important point- NO motor vehicles are allowed. Then there are white roads which are generraly designated not suitable for vehicles and they aren't after the 4x4's and motorbikes have trashed them. Priority on Bridleways is Horses- Ramblers- bikes. There is one that takes priority over all of these and that is Farmers, but they don't cause many problems.

Pity you haven't got something like that in the US. But I can just imagine trying to walk up the trails to the height of those peaks- dodging the Mountain bikers hurtling down. Perhaps a ban on Bikes is more sensible- Will also save on the hospital bills for the bikers when they come off at top speed.
There really aren't many "trails" up those peaks.

Colorado has 54 peaks over 14,000 feet, and hundreds 12-13,000ft+. Many of these have some sort of "trail" but it is rudimentary at best for most of them. You might say many have a "route" up them as opposed to a "trail."
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 05:19 PM   #10
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay - a little off topic, but here are some more pics of the area.

Snow hiking, a little snowshoeing, a map of this particular Eagle's Nest Wilderness Area - Size: 132,906 acres, Elevation: 7,850 to 13,534 feet, Miles of trails: 180, but just a fraction of the 16+ million acres of US Forest Service land in Colorado and the many other Colorado wilderness areas, the lodge where we are staying, a guy fishing in the Blue River at about 25F, etc. All taken again with the handy dandy cell phone. That's my wife, Nora - 68yo - in the pics hiking and snowshoeing a bit.














Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-23-06 at 08:23 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 08:43 PM   #11
jppe
Let's do a Century
 
jppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Great pictures!! Thanks for posting.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.