Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-06, 07:40 AM   #1
turtleguy54
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turtleguy54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lubbock, Tx
Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tempted to spend more money when you can't ride?

The latter part of December, I was walking out of the school where I was teaching and did not notice the step-down at the threshhold and hyperextended my "bad" knee. Here it is, the latter part of Feb. and I can walk down stairs ok but it is a pain to walk up--the same with pushing down on the pedals. I am still at the cruising around the neighborhood phase and no long rides.

So, here I sit reading the forums and web pages, looking at my bike, and rebuilding it in my mind and on paper showing my ,until now understanding wife, the great improvements I could make to my trusted steed. I have basically changed everything but the metallurgical properties of the frame. Quietly, she hopes I will soon be able to just jump on and ride.

So, do any of you find that when you can't be out riding you find yourself more apt to be thinking of new things to do to your bike?
turtleguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 08:46 AM   #2
Stevie47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: paradise
Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep, I do that. Although if I can ride, I find it that much easier to buy stuff for the bike. It's surprising to me how much I spend on the bike, yet I rarely upgrade it. For instance in the last month or so:

1. Tires. Old ones were worn out
2. A bunch of tubes. I have been plagued by flats lately. Actually I went back to patching to save $
3. Gloves. Old ones started falling apart
4. Chain. Old one had 10k miles on it. When I went to change it my old chain tool broke, therefore:
5. Chain tool. Then with the new chain the cogs started slipping so then:
6. Cassette
7. Brake pads
8. Saddle. Old one was worn out. Lots of miles on it. But now with a new one my butt hurts, so:
9. Shorts. That will be today's buy, maybe that'll help my butt
10. New jersey. I'm powerless when it comes to a jersey that I like. But I've only got 6 or 7. Thats not so bad....is it??
10. Endless supply of powerbars, hammergels, gatorade, etc.

There's probably more, but I've blanked it out. One reason I always enjoyed biking is cause it is cheap!

Still on the list for me:

New bottle cages. The old wire ones just dont have bling value
I'm waiting for the shifters to wear out so I can go from 9 to 10 speed

Ok, guys...fess up!
Stevie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 11:19 AM   #3
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,914
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Have you discussed "upgrading" any parts on your wife? She'll probably chase you back to fiddling with your bike again. Anyhow, it works for me.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 11:24 AM   #4
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea, usually I do, and have done some upgrades this winter. I'm holding off now though. I only mtn. bike, at least for now. But seems some riders around here don't give a damn about trail access and have been riding during the freeze/thaw cycles, rutting up the trails, creating mud holes, etc. And we have a local interest which is just looking for an excuse to close trails to bikes. So I'm holding off any purchases for now, until I see if there are still open trails come spring. Might have to buy a motorcycle to get my two wheeled kick (don't care for road riding on a bike). And yes, there is a local MTB club trying to educate, but seems like some just don't care to listen.
freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 11:26 AM   #5
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
I know this emotion. If not riding,then often thinking about the next ride. Which means to stay either connected or committed, gotta buy something related to my need to ride. Is that not a sign of addiction.?
cyclezealot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 11:26 AM   #6
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy54
The latter part of December, I was walking out of the school where I was teaching and did not notice the step-down at the threshhold and hyperextended my "bad" knee. Here it is, the latter part of Feb. and I can walk down stairs ok but it is a pain to walk up--the same with pushing down on the pedals. I am still at the cruising around the neighborhood phase and no long rides.
Pardon me but why haven't you been to a doctor with this injury?? Dec to Feb and no real improvement?
Come on mate, get thee to a doctor. Your knees ain't nothin' to play with.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 11:36 AM   #7
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Tightwad's comments rings a bell. Visiting Michigan and California now. California, hurray, soon be on my bike.
But, in Michigan. Talk to cousins w/o medical coverage. She has a back injury.Can'tsee a medical doctor because it would bankrupt her. I feel for her, goes once a month to a chiropractor, because he gives her a discount and that's the best she can do. So many family I have met with this problem.
Maybe not Turtleguy's problem. But, so many do have this dilema.
And I ride with people in California with no insurance . What a risk they take !
Excuse my rant, but TIghtwad's comments pulled my chain. Hope it is not Turtle's cause for his failure to correct his condition.
Here in France you can have medical coverage for under $100 a month . Even if you don't - a visit to the doctor will not bankrupt you. From my expereince, probably less than a US insurance deductible.
cyclezealot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 01:30 PM   #8
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA
 
Mojo Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lincoln, CA
Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
Posts: 2,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie47
Yep, I do that. Although if I can ride, I find it that much easier to buy stuff for the bike. It's surprising to me how much I spend on the bike, yet I rarely upgrade it. For instance in the last month or so:

1. Tires. Old ones were worn out
2. A bunch of tubes. I have been plagued by flats lately. Actually I went back to patching to save $
3. Gloves. Old ones started falling apart
4. Chain. Old one had 10k miles on it. When I went to change it my old chain tool broke, therefore:
5. Chain tool. Then with the new chain the cogs started slipping so then:
6. Cassette
7. Brake pads
8. Saddle. Old one was worn out. Lots of miles on it. But now with a new one my butt hurts, so:
9. Shorts. That will be today's buy, maybe that'll help my butt
10. New jersey. I'm powerless when it comes to a jersey that I like. But I've only got 6 or 7. Thats not so bad....is it??
10. Endless supply of powerbars, hammergels, gatorade, etc.

There's probably more, but I've blanked it out. One reason I always enjoyed biking is cause it is cheap!

Still on the list for me:

New bottle cages. The old wire ones just dont have bling value
I'm waiting for the shifters to wear out so I can go from 9 to 10 speed

Ok, guys...fess up!

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing, but I keep pretty close track of my bicycle expenses. I have spent $5924 in 44 months, which started with my first road bike (2000 Bianchi Eros) and now includes my second bike (Giant OCR2 Comp with upgrades). I include charity ride registrations, parts, clothes, etc. But the $135 per month is well worth the fun and fitness (I'm almost 59). Oops, gotta go. My LBS has the latest upgrade in and I have a ride planned in 2 hours . . . .
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 02:03 PM   #9
turtleguy54
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turtleguy54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lubbock, Tx
Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad
Pardon me but why haven't you been to a doctor with this injury?? Dec to Feb and no real improvement?
Come on mate, get thee to a doctor. Your knees ain't nothin' to play with.
I know them well enough to have them for dinner. They are just waiting to replace my knee down the road.

I was hit by a car when I was 17 and shattered everything below the belt buckle. A year later is when I took up riding and it has been the best excersice for me. Even so, if I injure a knee, it takes me a while to get it back to "normal". When it is, I can ride with just about anyone.
turtleguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 03:58 PM   #10
zoridog
Senior Member
 
zoridog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Jersey
Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started using a Palm Pilot to keep track of car maintenance. It worked so well that I started keeping track of my "fun money" purchases. Wouldn't ya know, I spend more on bicycle gear between mid January and mid March (snow season) than all other months combined.
__________________
I miss bicycle commuting.
zoridog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 04:42 PM   #11
Old Hammer Boy
Senior Member
 
Old Hammer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Utah
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Talk to cousins w/o medical coverage. She has a back injury.Can'tsee a medical doctor because it would bankrupt her. I feel for her, goes once a month to a chiropractor, because he gives her a discount and that's the best she can do. So many family I have met with this problem.
Maybe not Turtleguy's problem. But, so many do have this dilema.
And I ride with people in California with no insurance . What a risk they take !
Excuse my rant, but TIghtwad's comments pulled my chain. Hope it is not Turtle's cause for his failure to correct his condition.
Here in France you can have medical coverage for under $100 a month . Even if you don't - a visit to the doctor will not bankrupt you. From my expereince, probably less than a US insurance deductible.
I guess your cousin hasn't heard about medicade. If she honestly can't afford medical insurance, she should qualify for our government program called medicade. If one can afford insurance, they should pay for it, not their neighbor. You're right, It's stupid to refuse to invest in insurance, but some people would rather have a new car (or bike, etc.). It's a choice, not a dilema.
Old Hammer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 04:53 PM   #12
jppe
Let's do a Century
 
jppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Posts: 6,658
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie47
New bottle cages. The old wire ones just dont have bling value
I'm waiting for the shifters to wear out so I can go from 9 to 10 speed

Ok, guys...fess up!
Count me in. Funny you mentioned the bottle cages. I just bought 2 carbon cages at $40 each. Ouch!! I also just bought a Dura Ace Crank off of eBay to put on my new Time Trial bike. The shoes I have are fine and will probably get me through one more year but I am wondering what I'm missing since mine don't have carbon soles-plus I'd like to have someone with a little more eye appeal.....

The bad part is I'm now starting to toy with getting another road bike. While mine is perfectly fine, I'd like to see just how light I can get it and make it my road bike for the mountains.....

What's bad is I'm not weathered in and am still riding a good bit. Heaven only knows what I'd be dreaming up I was cooped up inside!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 05:27 PM   #13
a77impala
a77impala
 
a77impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western South Dakota
Bikes:
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just in the last few days, bought 2 new tires, a new seat post, a set of 700c wheels, ordered a Brooks seat and dragged a Nishiki fixte home from Yellow Bike. I am thinking of new tires for the road bike (smaller size) and really like a LeMond big sky thats at my LBS. My wife thinks I have gone overboard.
a77impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 06:01 PM   #14
Stevie47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: paradise
Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
Count me in. Funny you mentioned the bottle cages. I just bought 2 carbon cages at $40 each. Ouch!! I also just bought a Dura Ace Crank off of eBay to put on my new Time Trial bike. The shoes I have are fine and will probably get me through one more year but I am wondering what I'm missing since mine don't have carbon soles-plus I'd like to have someone with a little more eye appeal.....

The bad part is I'm now starting to toy with getting another road bike. While mine is perfectly fine, I'd like to see just how light I can get it and make it my road bike for the mountains.....

What's bad is I'm not weathered in and am still riding a good bit. Heaven only knows what I'd be dreaming up I was cooped up inside!!

Ok dammit! I'm not to be outdone here. I just ordered the carbon cages. I found a nashbar coupon code online which saved 10% so the total with shipping was $62. Hey, I couldnt afford to pass it up, right? Really, dear, it's a steal. It'll save money in the long run......dont look at me like that
Stevie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 06:02 PM   #15
rck
Senior Member
 
rck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: monroe (sw) wi
Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Add me to the list. I've been able to rationalize a new bike now I'm trying to justify carbon!
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 06:48 PM   #16
bkaapcke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The guys who blow me away are the ones who WILL NOT spend andy money for their rides. You know 'em, $35.00 flea market bikes and won't do anything to them to improve ride or safety. Or the "I got it at wall mart for $79.00" crowd. If your'e gonna be serious about riding, get decent equipment. Then get what you need to make it yours. Good seat, pedals cargo bags, kevlar tires, whatever. Equip it THE TOOLS YOU MAY NEED ON A RIDE, and spare tubes &c. Then you will find riding to be a joy.
bkaapcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 07:31 PM   #17
turtleguy54
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
turtleguy54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lubbock, Tx
Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
The guys who blow me away are the ones who WILL NOT spend andy money for their rides. You know 'em, $35.00 flea market bikes and won't do anything to them to improve ride or safety. Or the "I got it at wall mart for $79.00" crowd. If your'e gonna be serious about riding, get decent equipment. Then get what you need to make it yours. Good seat, pedals cargo bags, kevlar tires, whatever. Equip it THE TOOLS YOU MAY NEED ON A RIDE, and spare tubes &c. Then you will find riding to be a joy.
You know bkaapcke, these are the ones we need to say hello to and let them know that we are glad they are riding. Maybe they will get the fever and join in on the ride. I love thinking about what I could do to my bike, but not as much as riding it. I try to encourage everyone to try (try telling that to High School kids with driver licences).

This is my first post and I appreciate the responses. My knee will be better and I will be out on the Plains riding soon.
turtleguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 08:08 PM   #18
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail
 
GrannyGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy54
So, do any of you find that when you can't be out riding you find yourself more apt to be thinking of new things to do to your bike?
Yes, oh yes and double yes. When I can't ride, I vicariously pedal through catalogs, discover needs I never needed before. My cogset is missing an ideal gear in the middle! I'd get more miles in if I replaced my shorts with bibs! My bar would be more perfect and my position totally dialed if I went from a 44cm to a 46cm! Maybe I should finally buy a new bike and really unleash my potential!! And so on. Happens every season as the "Big Spring Break-Out" looms.

I'm sure its just a form of surrogate riding in Gary's 90% head zone. Once I'm back on the bike the reality returns: its not new components, its new body parts I need. Then I settle down, get sensible, some of the stuff I bought gets sent back, other stuff will eventually get put on by mid-summer.

You'd think I'd have learned by now, but no..........its all part of that glorious riding Cycle of Life.
__________________
..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches
.
GrannyGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 08:16 PM   #19
crazyb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hills of Iowa
Bikes: all diamond frames
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The trick is to get everyone to get you gift certificates for birthdays, christmas val. day etc. Then you can go spend away without guilt. I just blew an $80.00 one the other day.
Beats socks and shirts.
crazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 10:36 PM   #20
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Definitely !!!! I nipped it in the bud, though, and started spending money on archery equipment.
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 12:18 AM   #21
Raketmensch
Senior Member
 
Raketmensch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Bikes:
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah. That's one of the great things about this sport... when the weather prevents you from being utterly consumed by riding, you can instead become utterly consumed by spending money on riding. The weather is absolutely miserable here in upstate New York at the moment... bitter cold and snowing daily. I'm logging lots of hours on the trainer, but that's not nearly as satisfying as being out on the road. So something more is needed to satisfy my cycling urges.

Now having just purchased an absurdly nice bike for myself, I can hardly start upgrading it. I barely have twenty miles on it yet... I'm still messing with things like cable tension for the derailleurs. But, wonder of wonders, the wife has become smitten by my new bike, and has decided she wants a new one of her own. Being far more sensible than I am, she's looking for something not too crazy that we can use for day rides together and credit-card touring... a fairly lightweight touring bike with a modern drivetrain instead of the six-speed cassette with downtube shifters that she's got on her current steed. And she's got a birthday coming up. So it's a double plus for me. I get to satisfy my wintertime bike urges by shopping for something new and different, and I score points with Mrs. Raket in the process.
Raketmensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 02:15 AM   #22
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Don't agree Hammer. She is like 40. Insurance almost equal to her rent. No car, no job. According to Medicaid she makes too much. I am sure. Medicaid limits are no reflection to one being below the poverty level. It is too far for her to bike to work. They would make her sell her reliable car and then NO job.
YOu ever talked to someone in this situation.
And besides for those in Tennessee and Missouri they just eliminated Medicaid. Think anyone in those states make a living below the poverty level.
Ever tried to maintain a car and take on a low paying job and get to work. Besides, those policies for the poor have such a high deductible( if not on a group plan.) That alone would make them worthless and help to bankrupt her further. I see her wither in pain. It is a heartbreak.
Next she won't be able to work and possibly be out on the street.
Also, the more affordable HMO policies. Ever seen how they find a way to refuse needed treatment. I should know. Our CA HMO refused my wife's referal for lesions. Turned into cancer. Another couple weeks and I don't know what would have happened to our lives. Maybe threatening to choke the GP might get you the referral one needs.

Last edited by cyclezealot; 02-25-06 at 10:07 AM.
cyclezealot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 02:24 AM   #23
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketmensch

Now having just purchased an absurdly nice bike for myself, I can hardly start upgrading it. I barely have twenty miles on it yet... I'm still messing with things like cable tension for the derailleurs.
I am the reverse to you as I have an old bike that works very well thankyou and just needs part replaced as they wear out and break. Bikes by the way are a 5 year old hardtail Bianchi and the Dale MT Tandem.

One thing I hate is upgrading or replacing parts as both these bikes are fully sorted. Mind you- I do have a fetish about wheels, so as I am down to my last 5 pairs of spare wheels(Two bikes remember) I might start looking to see what deals I can get on a new set.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 08:07 AM   #24
ewitz
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: toronto
Bikes: specialized allez pro, giant tcr composite
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
February is the month that I ride the least and spend the most.

So far this month: new carbon bars, Ultegra 10 speed shifters, chain, brakes, cassette, front derailleur and rear derailleur. Hopefully I can make it to the end of the month without anything else
ewitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 12:47 PM   #25
Old Hammer Boy
Senior Member
 
Old Hammer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Utah
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Don't agree Hammer. She is like 40. Insurance almost equal to her rent. No car, no job. According to Medicaid she makes too much. I am sure. Medicaid limits are no reflection to one being below the poverty level. It is too far for her to bike to work. They would make her sell her reliable car and then NO job.

I thought you said she had no car and no job? But, whatever...

YOu ever talked to someone in this situation.

Oh yes. I have a renter who has received excellent medical care for herself and her children through medicaid. It's a bit of a hastle for her, dealing with the burearcay, etc. but she's been well taken care of.

And besides for those in Tennessee and Missouri they just eliminated Medicaid. Think anyone in those states make a living below the poverty level.
Ever tried to maintain a car and take on a low paying job and get to work. Besides, those policies for the poor have such a high deductible( if not on a group plan.) That alone would make them worthless and help to bankrupt her further. I see her wither in pain. It is a heartbreak.
Next she won't be able to work and possibly be out on the street.
Also, the more affordable HMO policies. Ever seen how they find a way to refuse needed treatment. I should know. Our CA HMO refused my wife's referal for lesions. Turned into cancer. Another couple weeks and I don't know what would have happened to our lives. Maybe threatening to choke the GP might get you the referral one needs.

I guess, the bottom line is you don't care much for our system??
You know what Cyclezealot? This discussion has meanandered way off subject, and therefore I will make this my last statement. We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. I like what's left of our system, only I see many of the best parts vanishing, and frankly, I used to like it even more, before medicaid and medicare, etc. In my opinion, the U.S. has drifted way too far into socialism already. As you can probably tell, I'm a (Milton Friedman type) Capitalist to my bones.

I know for many Europeans, Capitalism is a nasty and heartless concept. I have several European, including French friends, and believe I have a fairly good understanding of that culture. Reality is that everyone in the world can't have exactly everything they need or want, and sometimes life just ain't fair. Look at all of the poverty throughout the 3rd world, even with all of the money Bill and Milinda Gates have provided! But, here in the U.S., I see so many people who make poor choices, and then expect society to right things for them. Whether it's budgeting for health insurance, retirement planning, or whatever. And, then when things don't go their way, I and other responsible people have to pick up the pieces.

Now, don't get me wrong, those who honestly can't provide for themselves should be helped by the more fortunate, and my wife and I try to do our share along those lines. But there are limits, and history has shown that an entitlement culture becomes a weak, less productive one. Is free or cheap health care a right? Not if one can afford it. For the most part, it's a matter of priority, and some are willing to take the gamble, but if the dice come up the wrong way, it's not society's responsibility to bail them out.

Now, I'm going out with my lovely stoker and enjoy the sunny 55F day and put on some serious (s)miles. Life is good.
Old Hammer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.