Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50+'rs - How are you doing on your mileage or kilometerage? goals?

For those of you who set and like mileage or kilometerage goals for this year, how are you doing?

I am at 745 miles as of this morning (2/25/2006), and my goal for the year is 4,250. This includes my indoor trainer miles. I do believe I will make my goal, as the outside riding season hasn't really gotten into gear around here yet.

So, how are the rest of you mileage freaks doing?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-25-06 at 09:45 AM.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to do 5000 miles (all road) this year. Currently I'm at 500 (all road), so am a bit behind.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - i track miles, but don't really obsess much... more important to me, as a 50+'r, is that i get at least 7-10 hours on a bike a week at a bit over an hour or so on each ride...

- i also try not to feel guilty about having one or two days off a week (though i usually ride six days)

- and, i don't 'push it' more than four days a week... i want to enjoy the scenery!

- lemme check the bike 'puters... OK, so far for 2006: 634 ... which isn't too bad perhaps, considering i was out of commission with the flu for a week two weeks ago?

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal goal for the year (my first year of cycling since 20 years ago) is 4,000 miles. I'm not starting my year on January 1, though... I'm starting it last September 15, which was the date that I got frightened into cleaning up my act health-wise and starting to get regular exercise again. So I'm a bit over 5 months into my year, with a current mileage total of 1,560. (That includes miles on the trainer... it's cold and snowy around here in the winter!) So I'm behind pace, but I think I've got a good chance of making it. For one thing, that total includes a couple of months at the beginning where I was really out of shape and only doing perhaps 30 miles a week. Lately it's been more like 100 miles a week. And for another thing, spring and summer are on the horizon, with a chance to take my new carbon rocket out onto the road and really rack up some miles. The key for me is going to be to stay off of airplanes. Business travel is the great disruptor of my riding, and whether or not I'll meet my goals depends more than anything else, I think, on keeping it to a minimum so I can stay home and ride.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really have a mileage goal this year, but I am just shy of 1K right now (990 miles).
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my riding has been on the road, but I also include my indoor cycling. My goal began as 3000, but soon became 5000 miles. Currently, I'm at a tad over 1400 miles for the year and ahead of pace.

But, this is hard on me. A year ago, I literally could hardly walk due to torn ligaments in my knees. That's what got me on the road to fitness. I almost got used to living with pain. Now, only my bottom hurts. It's still getting used to so much time in the saddle. The good part is that my knee pain is pretty much gone. And, although I have to sometimes drag myself onto the bike, I find that I can go hours and enjoy the whole process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My year didn't start until May, so far 3700 miles. I am retired so can ride everyday.
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since my mileage goal is to get to where I'm going, I guess I'm doing fine. Iced over roads last weekend did force me to walk to work two days though.

My Bikes
    Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 858 commuting miles so far this year. 22 mile round trip.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Milage isn't one of my points to note, But I have finally got one of my computers working.

I know the length of my rides so can guesstimate milage easy enough. Should still be about 3,000 on weekly milage and hopefully around 1,000 on the Organised rides. So far this year It is around 500 Two rides a week at 30 miles each and 9 weeeks into the year. Can't wait for the weather to change though, then I can get a few more Hill miles in.

I have just realised aswell. 3 types of riding- or more if you want to get picky. Offroad- Road and static bike. I would always class off road as the most exerting- then road and finally static. Then you get the Flat rides- hilly rides and the bad weather rides. Though how you can set a static bike up to give you 30mph winds in the face, temperatures of below freezing and torrential rain I can only guess. Set it up in the Garden?

Not knocking those of you on Static bikes as you do something I will not do. If the weather gets so bad that I cannot ride- I go and do the gardening or repair the bikes. You at least are keeping the Cardio side working and toning the leg muscles. I do not like static bikes so do not ride them.

What I am tryng to get at is the standard of those miles. Of my 4,000 a year that I do- hopefully most of them will be the "Quality" miles that are worth doing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm upset with my mileage this calendar year. So far, just 439 miles, and I won't be able to ride the last two days of the month, either. My goal is 300 miles a month, so unless I can do a metric century today, and a real century tomorrow (Ha!) I will end February in the hole.

Didn't help to have eight 1-3 day business trips in the past six weeks.

I know goals aren't everything. And I have had fun on the rides I've gotten. And i do appreciate living in a place where year-round riding is quite possible. And i understand that this disappointment is a mental thing, and that cycling is 90% mental, and 50% physical.

Still, I'm just saying...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The goal is still there and doing fine. My success in acheiving the goal is good, but I am behind as Feb. has meant alot of travel and when I get home it seems to rain. In summer riding in rain is fine, in winter it is a no go. Finally got home this week and have ridden the last three days. My legs feel good, but my heart rate is higher than midseason last year. At this point I'm just happy to be out riding again.
    I have only about 250 miles to date. Have been using a trainer at hotels and apartment complex fitness room (temp housing while house is being restored) I don't count that as any milege. I find it seems to keep my legs in shape, but I just can't get a good heart work out.
    Anyway I think the 2,500 goal will still not be a problem.
    This morning's ride was great and tomorrow I will do a nice long ride in the morning.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to shoot for 6000 miles this year (or 500 miles/month) and am just barely on pace (1019 miles). Somehow I managed just a little over 600 miles in January and have 400 this month. I hope to get in another chunk tomorrow and Tuesday night which will give me a little more of a cushion. Normally my miles pick up in warmer weather so the decent start has me optimistic.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a guy in Arizona who, according to his bikejournal.com profile, has logged almost 3,900 miles already in 2006. I can't imagine how he finds the time, has the energy, or has a life, but i have to give him credit -- that's astonishing.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Bike Journal thing last year for the first time with the Bentrider group. I managed just a bit over 5000 miles on a Challenge Hurricane and a Volae Club. So far this year I am less than 200 miles so I doubt I will get that much. I will be happy with any amount but would prefer between and 4-5000. I am doing okay for someone 60 yoa and with Rhuemmatoid Arthritis.
    Go Recumbents, no neck pain, no wrist pain, and no butt pain.
    Bruce

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    There's a guy in Arizona who, according to his bikejournal.com profile, has logged almost 3,900 miles already in 2006. I can't imagine how he finds the time, has the energy, or has a life, but i have to give him credit -- that's astonishing.
    Good for him, but I don't quite see the point?

Certainly the conditioning/fitness value ratio of miles/conditioning level must drop off rapidly with very high mileages. Sort of like buying a bike - you can get a really decent bike for $2,000 (or less) and then the price increase beyond that represent a very, very small gain in performance of the bicycle. Likewise with bicycling mileages beyond a certain figure, IMHO.

In fact, I sort of wonder if the conditioning might go negative with extremely high mileages, if that leads to a decrease in such activities as weight lifting and cross training?

Oh well, to each his own.

Me - I have a wife and family that are extremely important to me. I am at about the right bicycling/family ratio right now!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-25-06 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zero miles so far......see my doctor for post surgery checkup on Monday (2-27) and hoping (everything crossable crossed) that I will be cleared to resume normal activity. I has been a loooonng 2 months of no pedalling......
    BCNU
    Gary

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty1
    Zero miles so far......see my doctor for post surgery checkup on Monday (2-27) and hoping (everything crossable crossed) that I will be cleared to resume normal activity. I has been a loooonng 2 months of no pedalling......
    BCNU
    Gary
    Here's hoping for a terrific report from your upcoming doctor visit. Someone told me that for every month off the bike it takes 2 mos to recover.....so, be patient when you return!

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluntly, pretty bad, but that's based on equal miles for all four seasons. Taking into account that my mileage will be higher beginning next month, I'm still behind, but not much.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goal of 2006 miles in 2006.

No miles on a bike yet, but 215+ miles on an exercycle. I plan to count exercycle miles if I don't get enough road time, but would love to get 2006 on the road. I don't expect to do a significant road ride for another month or so since I am wimpy about riding in the cold weather.

I consider myself on target, even though I need to raise my average... I didn't expect to have my mileage up to the proper range early in the year, but I am doing relatively well, specially since I did under 20 miles in January.

This week I did about 80 miles, and to reach my goal, I only have to average 1/2 of that.

Once I start commuting (5 miles a day round trip) and ride 30 or 40 mile weekend rides, and some evening rides, I should do fine.

More than the mileage, my ultimate goal is to lose at least another 50 pounds by the end of the year.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On target for the first month, but have only ridden about 50 miles on MTB's on country rodes in Feb.

BUT, I RAN!! (Dog-trotted, really) 14 miles today on dirt back roads! That was stupid!

Tyson
    Cushing, Oklahoma

My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 67. In 2005, I did 1,800 road miles. For 2006, my goal is 2,200, which is the shortest distance across the U.S. That's 183 miles a month or 46 miles a week. As of Feb. 26, I have 275 miles, which is 75 miles ahead of last year when the winter weather was crummy. We will see.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Kenneth Cooper, the aerobics guy in Texas, always used to say all you need to do for cardio-vascular health is a minimum of 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week, with your heart rate at 75% of your maximum. Anything you do beyond this, you are doing for some other reason (like weight loss, body toning). Your heart will not be helped by any vigorous exercise beyond this three days a week deal. This was 30 years ago when he said this. Anybody know if it stilll has validity?
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
    As of Feb. 26, I have 275 miles, which is 75 miles ahead of last year when the winter weather was crummy. We will see.
    I just do not know what has happened this year. Where I live we do not have extremes of weather- Winter or Summer. True we have had higher temperatures in the summer, but not good weather. This winter has been COLD. Not much snow but prolongued periods of Frosty mornings and temperature staying cold all day. This seems to have gone on since christmas. Then today a temperature of around 38 but with a strong cold wind from Siberia. Ride this morning was just a 30 miler on the road. Did not want to chance freezing up on our exposed hills and riding into a 30mph head wind. Now if the weather improves for cycling- we will have to start getting in our longer offroad rides to get fit enough for the Summer rides.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm way ahead of schedule this year due to the moderate winter that we've had. I've got 1,028 miles so far and normally, would be lucky to have 500 or so.
    Dennis T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast