Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-06, 03:06 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pics from Today's ride

Pretty decent day for riding in NC. Overcast skies, temps in the 50's with winds 5mph. I didn't ride quite as far as planned as I didn't want to get caught out in the rain-which is supposed to come in later this afternoon. I still managed 70 miles and averaged about 18 mph and rode just under 4 hours.

I took a ride SE of where I live which eventually puts me out in some pretty rural areas. Still lots of farming out that way. Unfortunately it is also the land of Turkey houses. Between the smell of the Turkey houses and the droppings that are spread on the fields this time of year, it was not the most pleasant aroma for several miles. I'm tried to keep my heartrate down in that area so I wouldn't have to suck too much air!! All I know is that a roasted turkey smells one heck of a lot better than what I smelled today!!

Here are a few pics from today. Nothing too special but thought you might enjoy some scenes from rural NC. They are: a neat little rock pond in front of a house with daffodils in bloom, a dilapidated chicken/turkey house (across the street from the pond) and Union Cemetary, established in 1810. The cemetary is surrounded by a short rock wall in the middle of a plowed field and out in the middle of nowhere. Just hard to imagine folks actually living out that way away from streams, etc 200 years ago.

The perfect area for growing tobacco and cotton though....

I also came up on two large hawks on the side of the road enjoying an opossum for lunch--I stopped and attempted to get a picture but they flew off and sat in a tree until I left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rock Pond & House.jpg (75.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Turkey House.jpg (50.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Union Cemetary Wall.jpg (55.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Union Cemetary Sign.jpg (43.6 KB, 32 views)
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 03:19 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
Pretty decent day for riding in NC. Overcast skies, temps in the 50's with winds 5mph. I didn't ride quite as far as planned as I didn't want to get caught out in the rain-which is supposed to come in later this afternoon. I still managed 70 miles and averaged about 18 mph and rode just under 4 hours.

I took a ride SE of where I live which eventually puts me out in some pretty rural areas. Still lots of farming out that way. Unfortunately it is also the land of Turkey houses. Between the smell of the Turkey houses and the droppings that are spread on the fields this time of year, it was not the most pleasant aroma for several miles. I'm tried to keep my heartrate down in that area so I wouldn't have to suck too much air!! All I know is that a roasted turkey smells one heck of a lot better than what I smelled today!!

Here are a few pics from today. Nothing too special but thought you might enjoy some scenes from rural NC. They are: a neat little rock pond in front of a house with daffodils in bloom, a dilapidated chicken/turkey house (across the street from the pond) and Union Cemetary, established in 1810. The cemetary is surrounded by a short rock wall in the middle of a plowed field and out in the middle of nowhere. Just hard to imagine folks actually living out that way away from streams, etc 200 years ago.

The perfect area for growing tobacco and cotton though....

I also came up on two large hawks on the side of the road enjoying an opossum for lunch--I stopped and attempted to get a picture but they flew off and sat in a tree until I left.
Thanks for sharing the pics! I enjoy them

I watched a coyote for 5 minutes as he crossed a field alongside me, but the cell phone camera would never have captured, and my Canon with the zoom was at home once again.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 03:42 PM   #3
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Thanks for the pics; I enjoyed them. I have this thing for old cemetaries, so I would have paused to explore that one, methinks.

One thing though -- no pie?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 04:41 PM   #4
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Thanks for the pics; I enjoyed them. I have this thing for old cemetaries, so I would have paused to explore that one, methinks.

One thing though -- no pie?

No pie today-I guess I've already started thinking about the Mitchell ride in May........and NO Volleyball babes either!! The best legs I saw were on Turkeys!!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 08:39 AM   #5
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
hmmm! There's just something about a good Turkey leg!
p8rider is offline   Reply With Quote