Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics from Today's ride

Pretty decent day for riding in NC. Overcast skies, temps in the 50's with winds 5mph. I didn't ride quite as far as planned as I didn't want to get caught out in the rain-which is supposed to come in later this afternoon. I still managed 70 miles and averaged about 18 mph and rode just under 4 hours.

I took a ride SE of where I live which eventually puts me out in some pretty rural areas. Still lots of farming out that way. Unfortunately it is also the land of Turkey houses. Between the smell of the Turkey houses and the droppings that are spread on the fields this time of year, it was not the most pleasant aroma for several miles. I'm tried to keep my heartrate down in that area so I wouldn't have to suck too much air!! All I know is that a roasted turkey smells one heck of a lot better than what I smelled today!!

Here are a few pics from today. Nothing too special but thought you might enjoy some scenes from rural NC. They are: a neat little rock pond in front of a house with daffodils in bloom, a dilapidated chicken/turkey house (across the street from the pond) and Union Cemetary, established in 1810. The cemetary is surrounded by a short rock wall in the middle of a plowed field and out in the middle of nowhere. Just hard to imagine folks actually living out that way away from streams, etc 200 years ago.

The perfect area for growing tobacco and cotton though....

I also came up on two large hawks on the side of the road enjoying an opossum for lunch--I stopped and attempted to get a picture but they flew off and sat in a tree until I left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Pretty decent day for riding in NC. Overcast skies, temps in the 50's with winds 5mph. I didn't ride quite as far as planned as I didn't want to get caught out in the rain-which is supposed to come in later this afternoon. I still managed 70 miles and averaged about 18 mph and rode just under 4 hours.

I took a ride SE of where I live which eventually puts me out in some pretty rural areas. Still lots of farming out that way. Unfortunately it is also the land of Turkey houses. Between the smell of the Turkey houses and the droppings that are spread on the fields this time of year, it was not the most pleasant aroma for several miles. I'm tried to keep my heartrate down in that area so I wouldn't have to suck too much air!! All I know is that a roasted turkey smells one heck of a lot better than what I smelled today!!

Here are a few pics from today. Nothing too special but thought you might enjoy some scenes from rural NC. They are: a neat little rock pond in front of a house with daffodils in bloom, a dilapidated chicken/turkey house (across the street from the pond) and Union Cemetary, established in 1810. The cemetary is surrounded by a short rock wall in the middle of a plowed field and out in the middle of nowhere. Just hard to imagine folks actually living out that way away from streams, etc 200 years ago.

The perfect area for growing tobacco and cotton though....

I also came up on two large hawks on the side of the road enjoying an opossum for lunch--I stopped and attempted to get a picture but they flew off and sat in a tree until I left.
    Thanks for sharing the pics! I enjoy them

I watched a coyote for 5 minutes as he crossed a field alongside me, but the cell phone camera would never have captured, and my Canon with the zoom was at home once again.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics; I enjoyed them. I have this thing for old cemetaries, so I would have paused to explore that one, methinks.

One thing though -- no pie?

Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Thanks for the pics; I enjoyed them. I have this thing for old cemetaries, so I would have paused to explore that one, methinks.

One thing though -- no pie?

No pie today-I guess I've already started thinking about the Mitchell ride in May........and NO Volleyball babes either!! The best legs I saw were on Turkeys!!!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm! There's just something about a good Turkey leg!