I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIDE for the PIE!

We have the famous Ride Your Age challenge every year (well, two years running now), and we've discussed at length Irma's famous pie (or equivalent) and how delicious it is at the end (perhaps during?) a longish ride.

So here's the question: What's your minimum acceptable distance for a real, honest-to-goodness, man, that was one helluva ride "Ride for the Pie" ride? You know, one that both makes you really EARN that pie, and, on the other hand, feel completely guilt-free eating it.

For me, at my stage of training, any RIDE for the PIE has to be at least 50 miles. You?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

jock doc
    My Bikes
    Torque Titanium with 650c wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please! Ride for PIE? I ride for beer and cigars. It's based more on effort and average mph. It is far more subjective then objective, so it goes. 50 miler at 18-19 mph that's worth at least a 750ml bottle of Rare Vos (Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, NY) Belgian-Style Amber Ale and an Oliva Ole 5 x 50 Robusto. This is the tonic that keeps me on the bike.
    Anyone else ride for hops?

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irmas ride is a 40 miler with a couple of fairly nasty hills and any number of smaller ones. Skipper has a new garmin bike computer so soon we will know total elevations.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck
    Irmas ride is a 40 miler with a couple of fairly nasty hills and any number of smaller ones. Skipper has a new garmin bike computer so soon we will know total elevations.
    Now if it is pie, then it is down to Fuscardi's on Eastbourne seafront- only 12miles to get there, and downhill all the way. Then we have to go and sweat the pie out with another 18miles offroad to say we have earned it. May reverse the route if we get out early enough, Fuscardi's doesn't open till 10 am.
    The night rides take the same route, either way round, but we stop at Subs in Eastbourne for a decent sandwich.

Now if you are talking a real ride- then a breakfast has to be involved- 18 to 20 miles off-road with 1200 ft minimum climb up two hills at 14% and 16%. That is before breakfast and a full English at that. Then we are so stuffed it is a gentle ride back with the first 3 miles on full stomachs being on a climb to 500ft from sea level. That can be hard but is mostly just boring as it is on fire trails. Then a mile or so across relatively flattish trail and the 3/4 mile downhill at around 45mph if the track is good(20mph if it is slippy)May vary it a bit if the conditions are right to the same height climb in 1 mile on wooded tracks, then one mile of slight uphill-----THEN a 1 mile Downhill at "Where's the brakes gone" speed. I have no control over this as it is close my eyes time and hope we don't fall off. Both routes from these points leave us a 5 mile sprint????? home along a track frequented by 4x4's and dogs.

The breakfast run is a minimum of 30 miles, but if the weather is right we will extend to 40. Only problem is that we have to get some longer rides in before the end of May and there is no cafe easily to hand on the longer routes. (Perhaps that's why we won't be doing too many of them.)

Now the NEXT challenge at Easter (Getting a neighbour to ride with you) I thought this was going to be a challenge ride so how about the GENTLE ride for them taking in a pie stop. Then I might take them out with a bit more enthusiasm.
    Last edited by stapfam; 02-26-06 at 03:29 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - just came back from a 40-miler... i figure that's good for at least one Old Milwaukee...

:-)

- and for pie? yep, a metric century at least...

- but how many slices, and more importantly, what kind of pie?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - just came back from a 40-miler... i figure that's good for at least one Old Milwaukee...

- and for pie? yep, a metric century at least...

- but how many slices, and more importantly, what kind of pie?

Take your pick
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 04:30 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a la mode?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least 100 miles to avoid any guilty thoughts at all. Metric centuries-will still suck it down but with some reservation.....

jock doc
    My Bikes
    Torque Titanium with 650c wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Guess the PIES have it. Congratulations to the 'pie in the sky club". Papa Joes' Dutch Apple or for those with a tooth or two left for the cocoa bean, The Chocolate Silk gets the first wife reved up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Kidding Me? I think 20 miles is a good pie run. I just found a way to incorporate a pie stop in a training run and then found out the Cafe was sold and maybe the pie will be gone.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck
    Yeah, what he said. By the way, the Garmin bike computer is an Edge 305.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ride for pie; I go for ice cream. 25 miles at an easy pace will suffice for a sugar cone, a metric is enough to qualify for a banana split.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 blocks

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    I don't ride for pie; I go for ice cream.
    +1

Dairy Queen!

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottogo
    5 blocks
    A man after my own heart.