I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all started with a flat tire...

I was enjoying a nice Sunday ride around a reservoir when I realized my back tire (or tyre!) was losing air. Never really went flat, but was going down sure as shootin'. Decided I'd rather fix in the comfort of my home than on the road, so I headed back to the car and then off to home.

Along the way I passed the Trek dealer, and realized they could do the work for a few bucks far more quickly than my lazy bum, so I turned in and handed over the keys.

Then, long as I was waiting, I decided to road test something, so I tried to get a 1500 (road bike) at 56cm but none was available, so they put me on a 1000 (same geometry, not as good components).

I surprised myself and found it quite enjoyable. After a longish test ride, my only complaints were some hand tingling (different position than my mountain bike), and the family jewels were numb. I think both could be taken care of with proper adjustments.

Biggest surprise -- my back wasn't in pain. A little, perhaps, but nothing significant. This is critical -- it's what's stopped me from considering ever buying a road bike. So maybe I'm stronger now and more fit, and thus a better candidate for a road bike? I don't know but I'm open to your theories.

Anyway, even the 'value priced' 1000 ($600) was pretty fun out there. And the 1500, which sports Shimano 105s and Ultegras, is right around $1,000. So anyway it was fun riding a road bike (man it was FAST!) and good to know I might even be able to enjoy one some day.

Tire is all fixed, brakes adjusted, and now I'm off to the airport for the seventh of eight two day business trips in six weeks. Ugh!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear you had a nice test ride!! When you get looking seriously, make sure you consider a carbon fork and carbon seat stays. Helps with the ride comfort. I've used 105's and couldn't tell a lot of difference between those and Ultegra......I'm even using a Tiagra front derailleur and it works better than my Ultegra did....

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    The family jewels were numb. I think both could be taken care of with proper adjustments. I might even be able to enjoy one some day. Ugh!
    Some nuts are easier removed with a good wrench (wench?!). Moving on, Gary, I agree with JPPE. Shimano 105 stuff works great (one of my OEM 1987 105 brakes finally broke at the pivot)....maybe those complicated brifters might "feel" better if from a higher line of componentry. Still, frames being similar, perhaps better some day to come down to the 105 equipped bike and then upgrade wheels and add carbon seatpost and good saddle. I suspect a fine road bike is in your future, your blood, your destiny, whatever. Plenty of time to make plans and educate oneself.

P.S. Sorry for "tooling around" with your quote....but they are, after all, entirely your words I'm sure the family jewels are quite bling...certainly the equivalent of DuraAce grade components...functional, failsafe, longlastingl.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 02-26-06 at 06:56 PM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try a shorter stem to bring the handlebars closer to you.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My theory is: You are being drawn in by the Dark Side. You have tasted of the Knowledge of Speed. The Lust shall soon drive you to distraction and you will succumb at last. Then will come the domestic disruption that precedes The Moment of Final Decision - be Responsible To Your Household - or - Give in to The Lust.

It's a forgone conclusion, Gary. Admit it.

Down to the Local Bike Shop you will trot, no, run, like a trollop to a kegger, credit card in hand. After an initial fitting out, you will burst into The Light. Flying like the wind. Past the loop track, past the bike trail at the waterfront - into your driveway after six long blocks, Gary!

...where your wife greets you and sardonically says, "Pack your suit - your flight leaves in an hour."

Love,
    John in Everett

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

Bad news . . . You're done.

Tyson

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dark side has its problems. They are so easy to ride-Roll so easy- supposedly comfortable, that you lose your fitness by not riding a heavy bike. You have to find a few hills or double your milage to get as good a workout as on your old bike.

If I double my milage- I will lose so much weight that I will have to find a heavier co-rider on the tandem just to push the pedals down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never think pushing a heavy bike as "fitness building"....it just builds my grunting skills. A light, responsive bike can be so noticably "funner" to ride that it invites harder riding if you want to...or easy, recovery day cruising if you choose. And that's the point-- it gives you a choice. Hills, wind, pace, gearing, structured training are all available to you as fitness building tools...while feeling graceful on a road bike (well, as graceful as we can) remains no matter kind of riding we're doing-- one of the rewards of riding that is in another, more emotionally aesthetic dimension than fitness, conquering hills, etc.

Give me a good road bike, oh Lord, for I intend to go in Inertia's way.

A cool picture though....Team Discovery flying by on their latest training tool: Beach Cruisers! **I happen to own a beach cruiser which is great for its purpose, but I ride it for pleasure, not to become a better rider. All bike are good.....each can be better suited than others to a specific purpose.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 02-27-06 at 12:03 PM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will never be graceful on any bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    I will never be graceful on any bike.
    JCM....of course you are...the bike is filled with "grace" with things moving in circles and you along with it ...its the feeling and impression of being dynamic and in smooth motion that is the grace part. I'm as ungainly as a drydocked hippo in real life....but on the bike I feel airborne no matter what I look like. Definitely one of Gary's 90% "head" things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an ex Footballer (soccer player) but had to finally quit when I got a really bad back injury...I couldn't walk for two weeks...then every few months it would "go out" again...it was absolute agony when it did....

Anyway, I was getting fat and lazy so I decided to take up biking again (I hadn't ridden since I was 16)...12 miles would KILL me!! I started with a cheapo mountain bike and got some good base miles in...my back imrpoved immensely...

But the reason I'm replying to your post is because I was in the same position as yourself, kinda wanting a ROAD Bike..one with drops, so I bought a Felt F91, a great bike for around $600 (I think), it came with Sora/Tiagra components...never had a single problem in 2000 miles...I took great care of it and sold it on ebay for $450...the new Owner was delighted...so then I bought a Cannondale, on sale for less than $700...same components, never any probs...by this time, after a further 3000 trouble free miles, I was educated enough in so much as I could tell a when a Road Bike suited me to go out and spend some serious Cash..I loved my old 'Dale, so I went out and bought a Six13 with full Record...which gave me and my LBS a lot of problems, the Chain Rings fell off once...then the chain would always come off the small ring in the most inconvenient of places such as changing down to attack a climb...then keeping adjustment on the rear D/A's was nearly impossible...but all is well now for the last 2000 miles....

But I find a Road Bike much more comfortable, more hand positions, which means of course you can change the angle of your neck and back, you can ride on the flats, in the drops, on the hoods...and it helps to change hand positions as often as you can...much better for your back!!

Like you said, Road Bikes are much faster, you can get to places quicker...and much more comfy once you get used to them...as long as you get a good fit of course....

A Trek 1000 will do you just fine...there's no need to go to 105 components..honest!! Just put some good base miles on the bike, then once you're comfortable, then think about upgrading...

I'd highly recommend Michelin megamium 2 Tires for a smoother ride (I use them for centuries) they are pretty puncture resistant too...they will make a huge difference to a stiff Trek 1000 ride...

Go on...go for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I was enjoying a nice Sunday ride around a reservoir when I realized my back tire (or tyre!) was losing air. Never really went flat, but was going down sure as shootin'. Decided I'd rather fix in the comfort of my home than on the road, so I headed back to the car and then off to home.

Along the way I passed the Trek dealer, and realized they could do the work for a few bucks far more quickly than my lazy bum, so I turned in and handed over the keys.

Then, long as I was waiting, I decided to road test something, so I tried to get a 1500 (road bike) at 56cm but none was available, so they put me on a 1000 (same geometry, not as good components).

I surprised myself and found it quite enjoyable. After a longish test ride, my only complaints were some hand tingling (different position than my mountain bike), and the family jewels were numb. I think both could be taken care of with proper adjustments.

Biggest surprise -- my back wasn't in pain. A little, perhaps, but nothing significant. This is critical -- it's what's stopped me from considering ever buying a road bike. So maybe I'm stronger now and more fit, and thus a better candidate for a road bike? I don't know but I'm open to your theories.

Anyway, even the 'value priced' 1000 ($600) was pretty fun out there. And the 1500, which sports Shimano 105s and Ultegras, is right around $1,000. So anyway it was fun riding a road bike (man it was FAST!) and good to know I might even be able to enjoy one some day.

Tire is all fixed, brakes adjusted, and now I'm off to the airport for the seventh of eight two day business trips in six weeks. Ugh!

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    JCM....of course you are...the bike is filled with "grace" with things moving in circles and you along with it ...its the feeling and impression of being dynamic and in smooth motion that is the grace part. I'm as ungainly as a drydocked hippo in real life....but on the bike I feel airborne no matter what I look like. Definitely one of Gary's 90% "head" things.
    Dang it! You got me all twisted up into Yoga position No9.. Oh S#!+!! Now I'm levitating!!!

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome roadie. When are you getting the bike?
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the road bike and enjoy the best of both styles of ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love my road bike and don't consider ever giving it up. I to am an over weight 50+ rider who is adicted to speed. I get great workouts trying to keep up with the hammerheads. I'm like your old hunting dog, whenever a rabbit passes me I'm off like a shot. Just have to give chase!!!!(G)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said in one of your other threads, go buy the thing.