Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going crazy on a very long flight

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Going crazy on a very long flight

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 08:34 AM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DanS
BCAC, can I fly with you seated in front of me??? I ALWAYS get the ones that jam the seat back into my knees. My wife hasn't figured out that all my stretching, twisting, etc is to let the Bozo in front know that someone else exists in the universe.
Recliners usually do it within the first 3 minutes in the air, so you do have to be attentive the first little bit. As the person in front of you pushs the arm button and the seat starts to recline, you hit the upright table tray in front of you hard with the palms of both hands & hold.

This technique has a 98.7% success rate. You can then close your eyes and enjoy the rest of your trip, secure in the knowledge that you are being considerate to the person behind you (by not reclining) and that you have thwarted the evil-doer in front of you.
Old 03-01-06, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by BCAC
Recliners usually do it within the first 3 minutes in the air, so you do have to be attentive the first little bit. As the person in front of you pushs the arm button and the seat starts to recline, you hit the upright table tray in front of you hard with the palms of both hands & hold.

This technique has a 98.7% success rate. You can then close your eyes and enjoy the rest of your trip, secure in the knowledge that you are being considerate to the person behind you (by not reclining) and that you have thwarted the evil-doer in front of you.
And what happens the 1.3% of the times when it's not a success?

Koffee

Old 03-01-06, 10:11 AM
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the responses here prompt me to add that I was well prepared to combat boredom and/or mental fatigue on this flight: An audio book, music, three magazines and a knitting project. They had TV, too. The problem was physical discomfort -- being forced to sit in an airline seat with no escape for five-plus hours.

I know: Fitness Airlines! Treadmills and bikes in the back for those who want them!
Old 03-01-06, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Next Tuesday we fly from LA to Barcelona. WOrst flight ever LA to SIngapore. and it was on a United cattle car. I try to walk about a lot. Can't do that when turbulent over the North Atlantic. Melotonin and wine for me. Last flight London to Detroit. Four movies. HElped some.
Old 03-01-06, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My flights from hell were on JAL from Chicago to Hong Kong. Absolutely disgusting. I would never take that airline again if they put me up in first class. They treat economy like cattle call, and then on top of that, they had SMOKING in the back third of the plane- yeah right! The entire economy was considered the smoking section. So rich folks get settled into first and busines class, then head to the back and suck down their cancer sticks and blow out their filth on the rest of us. I don't know if they still have smoking on that airline, but they did for a long time after most airlines already banned that filthy habit.

Koffee