Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I hope you ride smarter than I do

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 08:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

See yesterday's ride report-I put in 70 miles solo and rode pretty hard for the 4 hours I was out on the bike.

Today I wanted to go out and do a few "easy miles" to help the legs recover a little. I rode over to a school where some guys I ride with leave from on a Sunday afternoon ride. Well, they talked me into riding with them and we wound up with a small group of 6.

Two of the guys had raced in some crits yesterday and I was hoping they were in the same recovery mindset as I was today-at least they said they were. I had ridden with the remaining three guys before and knew they were stronger riders than I am.

It was pretty cool and very windy today (15+ mph). In fact, I had grossly underestimated how much an effect the cool wind would have and severely underdressed. I stopped at a convenience store on the way over and the clerk gave me a section of newspaper that I put under the front of my jersey which helped block the cool wind a lot.

For the first 20 miles everyone behaved and we had a nice ride going-just a nice moderate pace. I guess I should have known it was just too good to be true. We hit a long stretch of rollers and it was like the folks that raced yesterday jumped back into the racing mentality. Guys were flying around each other, sprinting off the front, etc. I was fortunate to be able to ride on some wheels and even take some turns pulling but boy did it take a huge toll on my legs. I guess I was just too dumb not to sit up and watch the guys hurt themselves-I just had to do it to myself as well!!

Why in the heck do I do dumb stuff like that!! I'm 53 not 23!!! I suppose I padded my miles a little more for the year but I really paid the price!!

I sure hope you folks are smarter with this stuff than I am.......
Old 02-26-06, 09:55 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I sure hope you folks are smarter with this stuff than I am.......
Quit kidding us. You love every minute of it. We aren't easily fooled!

Good on you.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-27-06 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-26-06, 11:40 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Quit kidding us. You love every minute of us. We aren't easily fooled!

Good on you.
Ditto. You knucklehead!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-27-06, 12:19 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'fraid not. I'da done the same thing.
Old 02-27-06, 09:27 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pushed too hard yesterday in the same blustery conditions. Rode my normal exercise ride on Sat. morning then headed out yesterday. Rode 27+ miles avg 15mph. My problems were 1. I am not in good shape having not ridden most of Feb. so tired out. 2. In the cold weather I didn't keep taking in water and wound up dehydrating. Got home and felt worn out the rest of the day. I've got to remember to keep drinking even in the cold.
Old 02-27-06, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Famous line: "Today is a rest day."
Translation: "1-2-3 GO!!!"

LOL you're 53 and you haven't figgered that out yet? That's OK, you will be a little stronger next time you do the SAME THING.
Old 02-27-06, 12:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
LOL you're 53 and you haven't figgered that out yet? That's OK, you will be a little stronger next time you do the SAME THING.
Not yet old enough to have the experience gained so as not to have done it in the first place. Thats the trouble with youngsters- I always find the 4th hill kills them off.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-27-06, 06:30 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The strongest rider in my area at any age is 58. I'm 53;I hope i am as good as he is when I grow up.
Old 02-27-06, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
You probably aren't as stong as you were 10 years ago, but you're a hellova lot smarter... suck that youngsters wheel. When I drop now, I no longer say, "Man, I just couldn't hang on today." I say, "Time to cool down for the miles home, I did a bunch of intervals yesterday."

Go get'em jppe!!!!
Old 02-27-06, 09:14 PM

Bikes: Haro V2 MTB, Bad Boy Ultra w/700x28C & Bad Boy Ultra w/26x2.10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 53 and I seem to do things like that quite often. My excuse: Gettin' old of for sissies.
Old 02-28-06, 12:23 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JPPE, riding with a little abandon and verve once in a while is inevitable. Being tied to a rigid training schedule you miss opportunities for a lot of fun. So, manana you may pay a price in leaden legs...but your spirit got a workout. Go take a bath in Endurox, a very light spin tomorrow--or maybe just change some cables or walk the dog. And tuck away a lesson....at least until some young hot rod goes off the front again and, grinning while you shake your head.....you hit the Big Ring and chase him down. Don'cha love it! Why else ride if not for moments of toes-on-the-nose-pay-later Joy.
Old 02-28-06, 04:54 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks for all the wisdom and good natured humor!! In looking back I suppose I actually did enjoy the chase and the pain more than I realized....The best part is I think my "locals" are all pushing each other and getting a little fitter as the result. Just seems way to early in the season to be working that hard!!
Old 02-28-06, 07:22 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since I have the heart of a photographer and the experience of a long-distance self-contained tourist, I've always been content as a mid-pack rider. I've noticed that's where I feel the least pain, enjoy the scenery most completely, and have the best conversations. Often with women of the female persuasion.