Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

went to Stage 6 of the Tour De California

It was AWESOME. We did the charity ride in the morning and scored some VIP tickets for the race itself. Free food, free beer, and a place about 100 yards from the finish line. The charity ride had two big climbs and about 10 miles through pretty country near the Sheerwood Country club. I did miss a turn most of the way down a big descent but other than that a great ride. The pros were awesome . The only disappointment was Discovery didn't get into position for the last sprint and I had to watch the dang fushia colored tmobile take the stage. Those guys are Soooooooooooooo fast. After the ride we walked through the area the team busses parked. Most of the guys undressing looked like they just came from a walk in the park...and I have more fat in my little finger than they have on their whole body. If you ever get the chance to see the pro riders do it.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the wall, but I recall standing next to Greg Lemond and Raul Alcala at the Coors Classic (at Fisherman's Wharf...1987 I think--after a criterium event--things were more casual and loosely attended then). Watching them come off the saddle after a hairpin and almost literally catapult back to speed was indeed awesome. These people have power! They're also, mostly, short & seemingly slight little guys. Watching Hincapie (not so short) and bro's climb hills at the recently defunct S.F. Grand Prix was also, for this 58 year old, simply inspiring.

Then there's my CP neighbor who rides an adult trike rain or shine around the block--he's inspiring, too. In fact, some of you fellow BF'ers are inspiring.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Then there's my CP neighbor who rides an adult trike rain or shine around the block--he's inspiring, too. In fact, some of you fellow BF'ers are inspiring.
    Surely not the lazy lay-about 50+'rs who hang out here rather than riding their bicycles!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-28-06 at 06:39 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Surely not the lazy lay-about 50+'rs who hang out here rather than riding their bicycles!

LOL, if I put in as many road miles as I do keyboard pushes here at BF, I'd have legs like tree stumps. I think of this place as the corner bar where Archie Bunker used to escape and hang out...'course I could be playing checkers down at the park with some old cronies. Better here.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 02-28-06 at 08:40 AM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, if I put in as many road miles as I do keyboard pushes here at BF, I'd have legs like tree stumps. I think of this place as the corner bar where Archie Bunker used to escape and hang out.
    Somehow, a little of the ambience gets lost in the CRT!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOLOL....have a good one Dnvr!

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They give us something to aim for. Or just maybe they can aim for us and hope they are still riding when they are our ages. Of course by then DnvrFox will be the unofficial guru of the 90+ forum and I'll be ascending towards 80.

BTW, I hope to ride for my B-Day during the next two weeks--- OUT DOORS! If the temps hit the mid 40s I'll go for 50 miles to honor all my good friends here. If they are anything like the past few days (highs near 10), I'll ride 10% outside and the remaining on the trainer in the attic. In that case--- any movie suggestions?

Bob
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    I'll ride 10% outside and the remaining on the trainer in the attic. In that case--- any movie suggestions?

"Breaking Away"....of course. "Refund?!! Refund?!!"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to see the TDF when it came to the UK many moons ago. We had chosen our spot well and rode out to it early to get the prime spot- just on the top of a rise on a curve, and we could see them coming for about 1/2 a mile. Then they were gone. All that Excitement for a couple of minutes. It was midweek and I officially took a day off work. I Think all my neighbours were there aswell, and I even met about 10 of my customers. Dropped one of them in it the next day though when I talked to him in his workshop about the tour and his boss overheard. Then the boss admitted that He had gone about 4 miles down the road to watch the sprint. He had to because out of 8 employees- only two had turned in for work that day- His Female secretary and the apprentice who was more into beer than sports and did not even know what the TDF was.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Breaking Away"....of course. "Refund?!! Refund?!!"
    No one in the family pelaton can keep up with me--- not the wife, not the daughter, and not even the two Corgis--- especially on the hills! Watch me hammer baby! Biscuit can't even figure out how to climb on for a ride. Of course my Paramount is not going that fast just now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a really great day Chuck!! I agree those guys are just incredible. We got to see them up close at the Tour de Georgia last year and the power they can generate is just unbelievable. We rode a 40 mile loop on the route before they got to where we were. They had already ridden 70+ miles and did the 40 miles loop in something like 25% faster than what we'd done on fresh legs....

That day was just one big party/rock concert on the side of long climb. At least we were able to see them come by twice.

427 Cobra
    I live in Mt. Gambier, South Australia and in Geelong Victoria
    My Bikes
    Gitane Carbon with Ultegra and Shimano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

It was good to see the top ten featured Australian Cadel Evans. Cadel was placed 8th in the Tour De France and is tipped to be higher up the ranking this year. We all hope.

You are right they are very small and carry little weight. Now there must be something about being over 50 that makes a meal and free beer more appealing than standing on the sideline in your bike gear after riding 50 miles to get there...

www.cadel.com.au Just check his PIX out..

Think there is even a picture of him in my car on his site... Also a story about his burning his shaved legs on my side pipes..

Bernie
    Last edited by Bernie Knight; 03-01-06 at 05:50 AM.