Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

dilema resolution

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

dilema resolution

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 01:12 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
dilema resolution

As you know, I've been struggling with the concept of a new bike or a good upgrade. I died hard over a Gunnar Sport by Waterford Bikes but balked at the 2500 dollar price tag. So I've currently on order new wheels, a new handlebar and stem, new brake levers, a new chain and a new cassette. I'm sticking with the old c-dale and it's dt shifters. As I have recently changed the seatpost and saddle, all that will remain to change will be the paint(maybe later this year) and the old crankset which the lbs said was perfectly serviceable and needs no changing. Truth be told I'm glad about keeping the frameset. It would be a shame to let it go after many years of good reliable service after all its not like I'm a major corp. looking to downsize.
Old 03-07-06, 01:30 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing like riding an old classic that's been in the family for years, with shiny new upgraded parts so you'll know it's up to speed!

Congrats on the decision...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-07-06, 01:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
As you know, I've been struggling with the concept of a new bike or a good upgrade. I died hard over a Gunnar Sport by Waterford Bikes but balked at the 2500 dollar price tag. So I've currently on order new wheels, a new handlebar and stem, new brake levers, a new chain and a new cassette. I'm sticking with the old c-dale and it's dt shifters. As I have recently changed the seatpost and saddle, all that will remain to change will be the paint(maybe later this year) and the old crankset which the lbs said was perfectly serviceable and needs no changing. Truth be told I'm glad about keeping the frameset. It would be a shame to let it go after many years of good reliable service after all its not like I'm a major corp. looking to downsize.
Unless you have a 10lbs frame and it handles like a pig, then why change it. I have a 5 year old Bianchi but I am very attached to it. It fits me perfectly and rides like a dream. I only expected to have it as my main bike for 2 years before getting another- but after a lot of thinking and road testing (Not many shops will let me take a new bike out for a 15mile test ride in the mud up our hills) I have yet to find a bike that suits me better. Perhaps a little more money would buy me a full suspension jobbie but then I no longer want to tear round the hills as fast as I used to.

As parts failed or caused problems, I have replaced with an upgrade each time. The only parts of the bike that are original are the frame and the front Derailler. That F derailler by the way is only a cheap nasty Acera but it works perfectly so why change it. Front forks are an old unit but they are reliable- suit my riding and only need a strip down- clean and lube each year.Far better than the modern units that fail every couple of years. Drivetrain is XT- somewhere near the top and work well- Wheels-----3 top grade pairs of custom wheels and they are beautiful- and light-and got bling(whatever that is) and roll fantastically. Perhaps when The frame breaks- I will have to think of a new bike, but until then I have a nice little mountain bike that suits me down to the ground and does not cost a lot to run. Just aswell as the other love of my life costs me an arm and a leg every time I look at it- Yep its that bloody Tandem and somewhere in the region of $500 to be spent on it in the next couple of months.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-07-06, 01:59 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rck......I know the feeling and am joining you. I'd love a new Roubaix and the "carbon experience", but, given the need to help the kids with tuition, I will instead be upgrading an old but reliable frame--1987 Specialized with untold miles but, being steel, is as resilient, straight, and stress crack free as it was back in the days of Ronnie Reagan. OpenPro's from Rivendell, compact crank (probably Ritchey Pro) and bb, and eBay Veloce shifters (with JTek). All at one third the price of a new bike that I would want.

In the end, I fret about bikes more when I'm home than when I'm on the road....once out riding I realize how a good (not great) bike is good enough and I myself (heart, lungs, legs....and joy in riding) are what really count.

Last edited by GrannyGear; 03-07-06 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 02:52 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rck
Truth be told I'm glad about keeping the frameset. It would be a shame to let it go after many years of good reliable service after all its not like I'm a major corp. looking to downsize.
I'm sure you won't be sorry. Through the course of my adult life, I've owned six bikes. Every one of them still runs nicely and all are either in my stable or among friends. There's something special about keeping an older bike roadworthy.
Old 03-07-06, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds like you'll be able to lay claim to a comment made at the end of a popular TV show about tricking out cars. When you finnish you can say "I've been overhauled!"