Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Kellie Pickler Trail

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Kellie Pickler Trail

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 05:57 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Kellie Pickler Trail

I missed out on a ride in SC yesterday that had over 8300 feet of climbing due to family obligations so I took off and did the Morrow Mtn State Park loop again today after church. You've seen enough pictures of that place already so I won't bother you with those.

We had a Men's breakfast at church this morning and it wasn't exactly what I normally eat before a big ride. We had:
breakfast burritos (can you say heartburn!!)
fruit mix (strawberries, bananas and blueberries-good cycling food)
pastry (ok cycling food)
Shrimp and grits (needless to say the shrimp were swimming around about the 20 mile mark)
I had not rested well for 3 consective nights and it really took its toll on me today. Plus while it was an absolutely gorgeous day to ride it was the warmest day by far we've had this year. It had to be 80+ degrees. I love hot weather but it definitely takes a little time for the body to adjust to the different temps.

Because of the lack of rest plus probably some improper hydration my heart rate was in my red zone for almost an hour today. Normally I might get it in the red zone for 10-15 mins---but never for an hour before. At a little past the half way point (around 60 miles) I stopped at a store and I could feel my body quivering a little so I knew I needed to really keep pushing fluids. I thought I had really drank a lot but when I weighed when I got home I noticed I had lost 2 lbs....

The Park was literally covered with motorcycles today and I was the only cyclist. There were tons of people at the top and they gave me a nice little ovation when I finally reached the top of the 3 miles climb-that was kind of neat. Needless to say while the motorcycles were quite a bit faster on the climb I returned the favor on the descent. Just glad the Park Ranger didn't have his radar set up today!!

The stats:
106 miles
6hr 45 min riding time
5500 feet of climbing

Nutrition:
6-24 ounce bottles of Gatorade
6 Fig newtons
1 Banana
1 Turkey Sandwich from Subway
2 Gels

Okay-if you're following American Idol (I don't but my wife does) you probably know that Kellie Pickler is one of the finalist. She is from Albemarle, NC which is the town just before Morrow Mtn State Park. Kellie's story is interesting in that her parents basically abandoned her and she was raised by her grandparents. Her Dad is in prison but if Kellie continues to get voted in her Dad will be out of prison and probably be able to come to LA and see her perform. Kellie has been a waitress at the Sonic in Albemarle-you know, brings you your food on roller skates.

Anyway, as I was riding into Albemarle I spotted the banner below so I guess I'll rename this ride the Kellie Pickler trail as long as she's still in the contest........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pickler Sign.jpg (35.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-12-06, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey did you get green chile in those burritos? That's great bike fuel. Come on....

Great description of your ride. The beloved mountain got 48 inches in the last 4 days and shared 12 inches with me. Unfornately was recovering from a nasty cold and it's Spring Break in town so my skiing day will have to wait.
Old 03-12-06, 06:19 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
jppe,

Great story about your ride and how nice that those other type of cyclists cheered you on as you reached the top of the mountain. I miss men's breakfast before worship on Sundays. My last church in Georgia had them several times each year. They were lots of fun but I've never seen shrimp in grits. (Of course you never see grits in NH!) My wife and daughter are cheering and voting for Kellie. Let your wife know. So we know what you ate at church--- what did your pastor preach about?

Bob

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-12-06, 06:24 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Jppe, Are you talking about 8300 ft climb on a mountain trail? (Gulp!)
You sure called the weather right, it was perfect today. I went on two trail rides and a path ride in the last three days. My legs are quickly getting forced back into shape, and they're protesting all the way.
That was a really nice thought you had about naming the ride. Are you going to map the route out?
Old 03-12-06, 06:58 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Pastor Bob-the subject this morning focused on Lent. I'll readily admit that my attention drifted to thinking about what route I was going to use on my ride....My Pastor is also a cyclist and a golfer so we're able to share a lot of similar interests.

Rocco-the ride I did not do with the 8300 ft of climbing was a training ride for the Assault on Mt Mitchell out of Tigerville and a road ride. They climbed Howard's Gap, 6 miles up Hwy 176 and then Callahan Mountain Rd. 8300 feet in 57 miles is a LOT of climbing....
Old 03-13-06, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe you just keep going. You enjoy 100 mile weekend rides like I enjoy 30 mile rides. Great ride report and just for the record Kellie is my daughters favorite.