Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-06, 05:14 AM   #1
berts
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st race of season

just finished the 1st race of the season (9th/20) in a 29 miler averaging about 24 mph. it was a great day, sunny and warm with mild NWterlies. after the race there was a prize ceremony where i was given a certificate for being 3rd in overall ranking for the 2005 season. hope the 2006 season will be so fruitful.
berts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:29 AM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berts
just finished the 1st race of the season (9th/20) in a 29 miler averaging about 24 mph. it was a great day, sunny and warm with mild NWterlies. after the race there was a prize ceremony where i was given a certificate for being 3rd in overall ranking for the 2005 season. hope the 2006 season will be so fruitful.
WOW!

Congratulations.

Racing would be the furthest (farthest?) thing from my mind.

I am overwhelmingly impressed.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 10:06 AM   #3
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
Congrats, Berts. Keep up the good work. I'll be doing my third USCF race of the season tomorrow. So far I have done one Master 55+ (2nd of 6) and one Master 35+ 4/5 (9th of ~45). Tomorrow will be Master 45+ 1/2/3/4 and pack fodder time.
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:38 PM   #4
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
Berts, good on you! Now go fill out the "end of life survey."
Old Hammer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:53 PM   #5
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Terrific job!!! Ninth out of 20 at this stage of the season is fantastic.

But you guys are nuts......There was a Cat 5 with 100 riders in it last weekend in our area and needless to say there was a pretty nasty crash towards the end and several were hauled off in ambulances.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:54 PM   #6
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Berts-describe the course for us.
Old 03-04-06, 08:31 PM   #7
Dakota

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez
24 mph Average? Way to go!

Bill
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 10:26 PM   #8
berts
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
Berts-describe the course for us.
The start/finish is at Nitzanim a Kibbutz near Ashdod on the coastal plain. It was a 9.3 mile circuit (x3) mostly flat with two 30-50 ft rises, one about 1 km after the start/finish line and one leading to the finish with a slight downhill into the finish. The course started east away from the sea and goes clockwise with the finish on a 1 km east stretch. It is a difficult course to breakaway because after the rise where the peleton splits up the course turns into the wind and it's difficult to get a close knit strong group to collaborate on a break in the first race of the season. There were a total of 300 racers in all categories, elite men raced about 60 miles, we 50-59ners rode only 28 miles (good enough for me). good luck to you in your races.
Old 03-04-06, 11:12 PM   #9
KeithA

Bikes:
I'm in awe, buddy. Unbelievable!!! You (and your conditioning) do us all proud.

You too Steve.
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:25 AM   #10
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
Berts,

How in the heck can you guys average over 20 mph? I've had a goal the last few years to someday ride one hour on a flat road, no wind at an average of 20 mph exactly. On today's ride I was just telling my riding buddies that I think this goal may be unobtainable for me. I can do 18 easily, but those next 2 mph's are looking huge.

Congratulations.

Tyson
TysonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 02:10 AM   #11
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonB
Berts,

How in the heck can you guys average over 20 mph? I've had a goal the last few years to someday ride one hour on a flat road, no wind at an average of 20 mph exactly. On today's ride I was just telling my riding buddies that I think this goal may be unobtainable for me. I can do 18 easily, but those next 2 mph's are looking huge.

Congratulations.

Tyson
You put two magnets on the wheel for the computer- or you get a lot fitter than is humanly posiible.

I've given up racing- too many fit blokes around so now do the longer rides. 4 or 5 hours at 16mph and it is surprising how many youngsters finish behind you. ( Or 65 miles at 9mph offroad is more my kind of thing)

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 05:23 AM   #12
berts
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonB
Berts,

Congratulations.

Tyson
Several things are working for you in a race:
First your adrenalin level is up. Next, you are not working against the wind alone (although races are usually less effective than organized pace lines). Finally in a race you push yourself to the limits something that you don't do when you are alone or on a normal training ride.
Old 03-05-06, 08:26 AM   #13
jppe
Let's do a Century

Quote:
The start/finish is at Nitzanim a Kibbutz near Ashdod on the coastal plain. It was a 9.3 mile circuit (x3) mostly flat with two 30-50 ft rises, one about 1 km after the start/finish line and one leading to the finish with a slight downhill into the finish. The course started east away from the sea and goes clockwise with the finish on a 1 km east stretch. It is a difficult course to breakaway because after the rise where the peleton splits up the course turns into the wind and it's difficult to get a close knit strong group to collaborate on a break in the first race of the season. There were a total of 300 racers in all categories, elite men raced about 60 miles, we 50-59ners rode only 28 miles (good enough for me). good luck to you in your races.
Thanks Bert!! I suspect whoever dares to jump out on one of those "rises" should either be mucho stronger than others in the group or has some help that goes with him. Otherwise I suspect the group would eventually gobble him up pretty quickly and all that energy is wasted. It sounds like a good circuit for a race.
Old 03-06-06, 09:29 AM   #14
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
Congrats berts, That's a strong performance. As one who merely rides trying to get fit and staying fit, enjoying the outdoors at the same time I am put back by the thought of averaging 24mph for even 10 miles, forget 29. Great Job!!
p8rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 05:25 PM   #15
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
great job Berts!

sounds like a typical Dutch course, some speed and the prerequisite leg/legs with head and side winds.
Did it break into echelons, or does everyone just huddle in closer hopin to shelter as best as possible?
Are there much in the way of 'team' tactics over by you, or a lot of singular efforts and alliances of convenience?
It would be real interesting to hear how racing proceeds out by you...
cyclezen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 10:32 PM   #16
berts
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezen
great job Berts!

sounds like a typical Dutch course, some speed and the prerequisite leg/legs with head and side winds.
Did it break into echelons, or does everyone just huddle in closer hopin to shelter as best as possible?
Are there much in the way of 'team' tactics over by you, or a lot of singular efforts and alliances of convenience?
It would be real interesting to hear how racing proceeds out by you...
In general (at my level) singular efforts are more common than team tactics. There are a few teams with enough strong riders in the Masters 3 level that can develop a team strategy. I am the only one in my club that competes at that level. In this specific race the group remained pretty much together except for those who couldn't take the pace, with the weaker riders hudling as best as possible. In races with more vertical the peloton usually splits up early in the race. Competition (at this level) while being pretty stiff is not vicious and alliances are easily formed.