I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, who's the idiot?

Some knucklehead took my bike out in the rain yesterday for ninety minutes. I wouldn't have minded, but when he brought it back, he didn't wipe it down, he just left it as-is. On top of that, he tossed the wet clothes he was wearing helter skelter -- everywhere EXCEPT the hamper.

When I find the irresponsible, no-good slacker, he's going to spit shine the bike until he could lick the frame, AND he's going to be on pie restriction for a week. Maybe a month.

Note to self: I've got to stop talking to myself!

Note to self: I hear ya.

PS: Would riding in the rain have anything to do with the rear derailleur slipping today? Suddenly, I can't shift one click, I have to click twice for the chain to move (up or down). Coincidence?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    PS: Would riding in the rain have anything to do with the rear derailleur slipping today? Suddenly, I can't shift one click, I have to click twice for the chain to move (up or down). Coincidence?
    Coincidence that you have got a bit of adjustment due on the cable- possibly, but all my bikes have this as a periodic problem that I put down to not getting the mud off it thoroughly enough. I do not wash the bike down after every ride (10pm on a wednesday night and the last thing I want to do is clean a bike), but It does occasionally see a bit of soap and water. Then I dry as much of it as I can and then it gets a spray with water displacement oil. (WD40 or the like) That water displacement oil has a good time soaking the chain and deraillers- to get rid of any moisture and to lightly lubricate.The cables also get released and a coating of oil goes aver all the cable- or even washes through the outer till clean oil comes out the other end. Then there are all the iron and steel parts that get a good soaking and the brake pivots and any thing else that moves.

Don't know why I am telling you this as you are an experienced biker- out doing all those miles umpteen times a week in all that weather you keep having in that sun soaked haven of yours. Forgot- Rain- a new experience to you.

Problem with rain rides is not only the moisture. It is all the grit that gets picked up and sticks to anything oily . After a wet ride you should try and clean the thing off, and look to lubricating the parts that should be lubricated. Helps to stop Rust and other corrosion, and the build up of dirt on the derailler cogs and chainrings and things should be scraped off to keep everything smooth.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My long-lost-separated-at-birth-brother!
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut him some slack, Rain is so infrequent there that it's hard to inculcate good rain habits.

I remember one time there was no rain for 15 months in La Quinta. Some kids learn to walk in less time than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, now you have an excuse to go buy that new bike you have been talking about. And lock it up at home so it can't be borrowed by friends or relations. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, I just replace my bike every time it gets muddy.

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stick mine outside and let it freeze-dry!