Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need help with school project

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tamara and I am a graduate student at Emory University (https://www.emory.edu). I need participants to complete a survey for my thesis project. The survey is comprised of 36 questions used to gather general information about you and your knowledge, attitudes, opinions, and beliefs about the decision making process at the end of life and expectations for family involvement. The survey takes approximately 20 minutes to complete. The survey does not ask any personal questions and is completely anonymous and confidential.

In order to complete the survey you must be:
• Age 65 and older
• Have living family

Simply click on the link or cut and paste it into your web browser:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=186471683680

Thanks for participating!
Tamara
Old 03-04-06, 02:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The survey is comprised of 36 questions used to gather general information about you and your knowledge, attitudes, opinions, and beliefs about the decision making process at the end of life and expectations for family involvement.

• Age 65 and older
Well, there's a happy thought!

Guess I better hang up my bicycle on the death hanger in the garage.

My life seems done at 66, and I best contemplate that decision-making process - I guess those decisions are about who gets my bicycles! I can't think of anything else important I might have to decide.

Man, this really makes my day. I was hoping to hold off that conversation for maybe another 30 years? My mom is 93 and still going strong. I wish I had her memory.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-04-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 03:14 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, there's a happy thought!

Guess I better hang up my bicycle on the death hanger in the garage.

My life seems done at 66, and I best contemplate that decision-making process - I guess those decisions are about who gets my bicycles! I can't think of anything else important I might have to decide.

Man, this really makes my day. I was hoping to hold off that conversation for maybe another 30 years? My mom is 93 and still going strong. I wish I had her memory.
+1

Sure seems troll-like, if you ask me. (The OP, of course)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-04-06, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My God, 65 and end of life decisions? Last week at the local fitness center, as my 30 something spinning instructor couldn't keep up with me, and after class invited me to participate with him in the Lotoja (Logan, Utah to Jackson, Wyoming) 211 mile race this fall, the last thing I was considering were end of life decisions.

My grandpa helped a neighbor woman chop out a 40" oak stump at age 91, and when I asked him if he enjoyed it, his comment was "sure did, she was a damn good looking woman." And my grandmother at 93 used to go to the old folks home to push wheel chairs around because (as she put it); "Sometimes old people need help."

Tamara, I think you've come to the wrong place. I can assure you that these guys are a bunch of tough old geezers. End of life is way too far away for us unless some SUV driver clobbers us while talking on his/her cell phone. Suggest you go visit an old folks home for your survey...
Old 03-04-06, 06:45 PM
Banned.

Just to clarify, I have all the paperwork in order, just in case that SUV lady on the cell phone takes me out, which includes durable power of attorney, durable medical power of attorney, wills, trust for the son with a developmental disability, etc.

But I sure don't want to take a survey about my attitudes about all of that stuff!
Old 03-04-06, 07:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your thoughts guys. These are the types of opinions I would like to include in my paper....

I know end of life issues are not what you are thinking about every night and day, but the survey takes less than 20 min. and I would love to get your responses about family involvement.

Sorry if my posting has caused any problems!
Old 03-04-06, 07:32 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BellaBlue
Thanks for all your thoughts guys. These are the types of opinions I would like to include in my paper....

I know end of life issues are not what you are thinking about every night and day, but the survey takes less than 20 min. and I would love to get your responses about family involvement.

Sorry if my posting has caused any problems!
It is really not appropriate for this bicycling forum.

There is a forum section on the bicycling forum called "FOO" where you would be welcomed to place it. It is for non-bicycling related topics. Why not post it there?
Old 03-04-06, 07:48 PM
Banned.

OK, I took a look at the survey.
On my computer, questions 5-10 were exactly the same as questions 10-15 or thereabouts. A total repeat.

I tried to skip a page near the end, but the program would not let me. It said, to the effect, "You have not answered all the questions . . . ." So I exited - about question 31.

I have a great deal of personal experience regarding critical injuries, and folks who need assistance. My one son is totally paralyzed from the shoulders down (married and an internationally known attorney), another profoundly mentally handicapped. I have spent 40 years in the field of disability as a professional and as a parent.

I find your questions to be a bit biased, your assumptions to be out of line, and you to be somewhat unknowledgeable and naive.

I did not complete the survey.
Old 03-04-06, 07:54 PM
Banned.

I checked again and, actually, questions 2-8 are exactly the same as questions 9-15.
Old 03-04-06, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Did not mind the questions . . . but the 'drawing' for something FREE from Wallmart?!
Gimme a break!
Am 73: Survived WWII in Europe as a kid. Weighed 60 lbs when I came to US at age 14 . . . and thought I was fat!
Survived the Korean War (volunteered). Survived cancer last year.
End of life? Have done the necessary paper work; body donated to science.
No, don't count me out yet! Been hit while on a bike twice by a pickup and once by a car. Was supposed to be on a plane that crashed . . . Figure I've got 5 lives left!
Do that survey again in 20 years and PLUEEZE leave out the Walmart stuff!
Old 03-04-06, 08:04 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think about Death from time to time. Sometimes catch him back behind me coming on strong on his rusty Schwinn Varsity. No matter how toasted I am, thoughts of him cause me to find a little more hammer to put down. Nice to watch him then drop back...no doubt gnashing his teeth.

Sorry Bella, we aren't avoiding death here....we just don't have the time for him at present! (I know, "Because I couldn't stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me). Yeah, well, he frickin' better not stop for us but pedal harder if he hopes to catch any 50Plussers.

Death wears brown argyles with his hush puppies while riding. Typical.
Old 03-04-06, 08:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time...

You are the first to mention the repeat questions. There was a glitch in SurveyMonkey a few weeks ago so something must be off. Thanks for letting me know and I apologize if it caused any problems.

I'm sorry you thought the questions were biased- the questions have been found realiable and validated statistically by previous researchers....

Thanks again!

Last edited by BellaBlue; 03-04-06 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 09:05 PM
Banned.

I don't have time to go through the survey again, but, for example, a question implying that someone with a disability is a "burden" on others represents a bias on the part of the person writing the question.

It is possible that someone with even an extreme disability and needing care is a "joy" to others, and not a burden - and on and on. There are many ways folks contribute to life - being physically or mentally perfect is not the only way.
Old 03-04-06, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With due respect, if you want a general sampling of the overall 65+ age group, I think you have the wrong forum. This forum, as a whole, is definitely skewed toward a pretty positive view on living life. I'd still take your survey, but don't meet the criteria stated.

Perhaps, you might want to do a google search for a general 65+ forum more focused on the issues you bring to the table. We've been around the block, but our psychological age is timeless.
Old 03-04-06, 09:36 PM
Banned.

The whole issue of "Quality of Life."

I would refer you to

https://www.notdeadyet.org/

and, in particular, to:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...02-000033.html

for some further thoughts on quality (and some thoughts about advanced directives) of life for those with more profound disabilities.

No physician will be involved in any decision regarding my continued or non continued medical care.

And I will bow out now.

Best of luck.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-05-06 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-04-06, 10:07 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Am 73: Survived WWII in Europe as a kid. Weighed 60 lbs when I came to US at age 14 . . . and thought I was fat!
Survived the Korean War (volunteered). Survived cancer last year.
End of life? Have done the necessary paper work; body donated to science.
No, don't count me out yet! Been hit while on a bike twice by a pickup and once by a car. Was supposed to be on a plane that crashed . . . Figure I've got 5 lives left!
Finally, a role model for youngsters like me (54 9/12 y.o.) to try and live up to! And a tandem rider to boot!

Keep going, Pops!

-Dennis

Old 03-05-06, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How do I cut and paste that 50+ joke to respond to this guy? Seems appropriate.
Old 03-05-06, 12:33 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good luck on your thesis
Old 03-06-06, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dnvrfox...man I like and appreciate your mind set. Our family has more then its share of challenges and never has anyone ever been thought of as a burden. Regarding old age: you can contact mom who is 85, but she is currently touring Mexico with her girlfriend. Maybe she will have time for the survey when she gets back from Portugal, Azores, and Spain later this spring.
Funny aside: she has this older gent who rides by her house on a 3 wheeler and rings his bike bell and waves. She commented to my sister that she would only be interested if he could ride a 2 wheeler. She went through the Depression, raised six kids, does lots of charity work, and inspires my two daughters in college. We are blessed.