Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-05-06, 01:02 AM   #1
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having tried "Slime" tubes without satisfaction (they leak at the valves, flat as frequently as standard tubes, and blow slime all over when you fill them), I'm thinking of trying the heavier rubber tubes called "thornproof." Has anybody tried these tubes and do they actually cut down on flats?

Thanks.
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:21 AM   #2
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
In brief: I've used them. They work. I hate them. They defeat the purpose of nice light wheels and tires.

Tyson
TysonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:36 AM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't think a thornproof tube exists. Contrary to belief, I use a latex tube whenever I can get them. Not the lightweight one that most use, but the heaviest grade possible. They react differently to thorns and semi-seal around the hole. Tyre still goes down, but a lot slower than normal, and I usually find I have a puncture the next day in the bike shed.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:42 AM   #4
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D
Heavy but no more flats.
http://www.nomorflats.com/
scottogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:45 AM   #5
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonB
...They defeat the purpose of nice light wheels and tires...
Hi TysonB!

Not an issue for me - I'm running 36-spoke, 3-cross custom wheels with extra-heavy spokes and deep-V rims. I want freedom from flats, broken spokes, and truing problems. Weight isn't on my radar screen for this bike, at least where durability is a concern.

As to stepfam's latex tubes, I'm not familiar with them. Who makes them and where are the heavy ones available?

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-06, 01:47 AM   #6
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottogo
Heavy but no more flats. http://www.nomorflats.com/
Hi scottogo!

These look suspiciously like the "Slime" brand tubes that I've had such problems with. I've resolved to avoid liquid-added tubes like the plague! Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 03-05-06, 02:05 AM   #7
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Hi TysonB!

Not an issue for me - I'm running 36-spoke, 3-cross custom wheels with extra-heavy spokes and deep-V rims. I want freedom from flats, broken spokes, and truing problems. Weight isn't on my radar screen for this bike, at least where durability is a concern.

As to stepfam's latex tubes, I'm not familiar with them. Who makes them and where are the heavy ones available?

Thanks again!
Plenty of manufacturers and I can't find a box so have run out at present. Any good lbs should be able to get them. I ride a mountain bike and I use thes on the Tandem and heavy duty ARE available in all the sizes. Only problem with latex is that is does lose air over aweek so you have to check pressure before going out on the bike. Repairs by the way is just the conventional repair kit.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 11:26 AM   #8
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Bikes:
I've had thorn-proofs on my 3-speed for six months and have had no flats since. This bike gets the roughest treatment out of the three I ride. Gravel shoulders, lots of glass, curbs, some wet boggy shortcuts with lots of blackberry vines, and me at 230 lbs. I got tired of patching tubes on that bike because the tire bead fit so tight it was a real chore.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 12:28 PM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Have you tried the Specialized Armadillo tires?

I was saved the other day - the goathead simply could not get through to the tube. despite my going several revolutions of the wheel before I was able to stop. I puilled it out with apprehension, and no leak.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 12:42 PM   #10
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

I pulled it out with apprehension, and no leak.
Where can I buy one of these "apprehension" tools? Would it fit in the bag behind my saddle?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:18 PM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Where can I buy one of these "apprehension" tools? Would it fit in the bag behind my saddle?
I will sell you one for the right price. It will even fit in the recessive parts of your brain.
Old 03-05-06, 02:22 PM   #12
late

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
I am thinking of trying these...
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=10785
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 07:24 PM   #13
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Bikes:
Quote:

I was saved the other day - the goathead simply could not get through to the tube. despite my going several revolutions of the wheel before I was able to stop. I puilled it out with apprehension, and no leak.
I love Armadillos. I have them on my 830 in 1.5" I'll be changing to those on the 520 (28mm) when the tires wear out. I asked my LBS about them in 1-3/8ths English, but they said they don't come in that size. I'm told that the English is different than simple 1-3/8ths. That's why I went with the 'thornproofs.'
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:48 PM   #14
Velo Dog

Bikes:
I'm with Tyson--I'd rather fix flats than put up with those things. I've never had them on my bike, but I've ridden a friend's bike with them. Makes it feel like the tires are solid rubber, with no cushioning at all. I live in big thorn country and have had as many as six flats in a century; the last year I kept track I averaged about one every 30 miles, all summer long. I'd STILL rather fix them than use those tubes.
What kind of flats are you having? Are they all punctures through the tread, or on the inside where a spoke could be poking through, or pinch flats, or what? If you're doing the same thing over and over, there may be an easy fix for it.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:58 PM   #15
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
Velo Pouch!

1 flat every 30 miles WOULD drive me back to Armadillos and latex tubes. Fortunately, the roads around here are semi-clean and with light-weight Hutchensons and regular tubes, I average over 500 miles without a flat.

I had a flat the FIRST time out on Armadillos when a tiny sharp rock went all the way through. Over a thousand miles thereafter without a problem, OTHER than the fact that it is like riding on the rims. No more 'dillos for me unless I have a run of flats that piss me off again!

BTW, my anecdotal evidence supports the theory that flats are more frequent on wet roads.

Tyson
TysonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 09:43 PM   #16
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonB
Velo Pouch!

1 flat every 30 miles WOULD drive me back to Armadillos and latex tubes. Fortunately, the roads around here are semi-clean and with light-weight Hutchensons and regular tubes, I average over 500 miles without a flat.

I had a flat the FIRST time out on Armadillos when a tiny sharp rock went all the way through. Over a thousand miles thereafter without a problem, OTHER than the fact that it is like riding on the rims. No more 'dillos for me unless I have a run of flats that piss me off again!

BTW, my anecdotal evidence supports the theory that flats are more frequent on wet roads.

Tyson
Armadillos have changed and improved - they are now in 3rd generation with less rolling resistance and lighter.
Old 03-05-06, 10:33 PM   #17
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Bikes:
Another possibility would be Panaracer Paselas.....they're no lightweights, but if that isn't an issue, they're belted and offered in wider widths for good lower pressure flotation over bad surfaces. I've used them for road warrior urban landscape riding as well as fire roads. Also, they're moderately priced. Rivendell, Nashbar...they're widely available.
Old 03-06-06, 03:09 PM   #18
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D
Hello FarHorizon!

No Mor makes a liquid but they also make a semi-solid inner tube. The tube adds a lot of weight, as previously mentioned, but there are no more flats. The tubes last for years, lenghtening tire life because tire pressure remains constant and normal ranges of cold or heat will not damage them. Also, there is never a need to carry a pump or patch kits. It takes a while to install and remove them but they are reusable.
Attached Images
File Type: gif no mor flat tube.gif (8.2 KB, 164 views)
scottogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 04:13 PM   #19
metal_cowboy

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Another possibility would be Panaracer Paselas.....they're no lightweights, but if that isn't an issue, they're belted and offered in wider widths for good lower pressure flotation over bad surfaces. I've used them for road warrior urban landscape riding as well as fire roads. Also, they're moderately priced. Rivendell, Nashbar...they're widely available.
I will second the recomendation for the Panarace Paselas Tour Guards. I ride the 700x37 on my commuter and the 700x32 on my tandem. I am 260lbs and ride pretty crapy roads; theses are the best "puncture resistant" tires I have used.

The Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy's are also great tires. I have a pair on my road bike and have wore out a pair of tires(about 3,00 miles) with only one or two flats.
metal_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 06:16 PM   #20
bkaapcke

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I told my wife that i'd show her how to change a tube on the trail so she wouldn't have to worry about flats any more. She said, and I quote; "get hosed, that's what I keep you around for". Well, I was aghast. Being as we don't ride together, I put Armadillo tires & tubes on her bike. No more flats and I dont have to get hosed. All are happy. bk
bkaapcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 07:00 PM   #21
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by late
Curious. I went and looked. The text says Schaeder and the picture on the box shows a Presta valve. Call and ask before you buy.
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 09:39 AM   #22
bugmenot

Bikes:
Thornproof

I wish they made something in between .9mm and 2.x mm in a variety of sizes and forms factors.

I think 1.5mm would be good. IMO, they shouldn't be trying to make the tubes thornproof but rather, should make them pinch-flat proof. That's my biggest problem. You can use liners and even get certain tires to get as close to puncture proof as possible. But that won't stop pinch flatting. And forget slime. Messes all over everything including one's pump.
bugmenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 09:59 PM   #23
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Denver,

You're braver than I am. I usually just head for home and hope the goathead stays put until then so that I can fix the ensuing flat in the comfort of my garage. I may my have to try the Armadillos.

P.S. I just noticed that this thread was resurrected form March! Kind of odd, but hey, the information's all good.

Last edited by nmichell; 07-26-06 at 10:05 PM.
nmichell is offline   Reply With Quote