User Tag List

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having tried "Slime" tubes without satisfaction (they leak at the valves, flat as frequently as standard tubes, and blow slime all over when you fill them), I'm thinking of trying the heavier rubber tubes called "thornproof." Has anybody tried these tubes and do they actually cut down on flats?

Thanks.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In brief: I've used them. They work. I hate them. They defeat the purpose of nice light wheels and tires.

Tyson

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think a thornproof tube exists. Contrary to belief, I use a latex tube whenever I can get them. Not the lightweight one that most use, but the heaviest grade possible. They react differently to thorns and semi-seal around the hole. Tyre still goes down, but a lot slower than normal, and I usually find I have a puncture the next day in the bike shed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavy but no more flats.
    http://www.nomorflats.com/

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonB
    ...They defeat the purpose of nice light wheels and tires...
    Hi TysonB!

Not an issue for me - I'm running 36-spoke, 3-cross custom wheels with extra-heavy spokes and deep-V rims. I want freedom from flats, broken spokes, and truing problems. Weight isn't on my radar screen for this bike, at least where durability is a concern.

As to stepfam's latex tubes, I'm not familiar with them. Who makes them and where are the heavy ones available?

Thanks again!

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottogo
    Heavy but no more flats. http://www.nomorflats.com/
    Hi scottogo!

These look suspiciously like the "Slime" brand tubes that I've had such problems with. I've resolved to avoid liquid-added tubes like the plague! Thanks for the suggestion, though.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Hi TysonB!

Not an issue for me - I'm running 36-spoke, 3-cross custom wheels with extra-heavy spokes and deep-V rims. I want freedom from flats, broken spokes, and truing problems. Weight isn't on my radar screen for this bike, at least where durability is a concern.

As to stepfam's latex tubes, I'm not familiar with them. Who makes them and where are the heavy ones available?

Thanks again!
    Plenty of manufacturers and I can't find a box so have run out at present. Any good lbs should be able to get them. I ride a mountain bike and I use thes on the Tandem and heavy duty ARE available in all the sizes. Only problem with latex is that is does lose air over aweek so you have to check pressure before going out on the bike. Repairs by the way is just the conventional repair kit.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had thorn-proofs on my 3-speed for six months and have had no flats since. This bike gets the roughest treatment out of the three I ride. Gravel shoulders, lots of glass, curbs, some wet boggy shortcuts with lots of blackberry vines, and me at 230 lbs. I got tired of patching tubes on that bike because the tire bead fit so tight it was a real chore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried the Specialized Armadillo tires?

I was saved the other day - the goathead simply could not get through to the tube. despite my going several revolutions of the wheel before I was able to stop. I puilled it out with apprehension, and no leak.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox

I pulled it out with apprehension, and no leak.
    Where can I buy one of these "apprehension" tools? Would it fit in the bag behind my saddle?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Where can I buy one of these "apprehension" tools? Would it fit in the bag behind my saddle?
    I will sell you one for the right price. It will even fit in the recessive parts of your brain.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was saved the other day - the goathead simply could not get through to the tube. despite my going several revolutions of the wheel before I was able to stop. I puilled it out with apprehension, and no leak.
    I love Armadillos. I have them on my 830 in 1.5" I'll be changing to those on the 520 (28mm) when the tires wear out. I asked my LBS about them in 1-3/8ths English, but they said they don't come in that size. I'm told that the English is different than simple 1-3/8ths. That's why I went with the 'thornproofs.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Tyson--I'd rather fix flats than put up with those things. I've never had them on my bike, but I've ridden a friend's bike with them. Makes it feel like the tires are solid rubber, with no cushioning at all. I live in big thorn country and have had as many as six flats in a century; the last year I kept track I averaged about one every 30 miles, all summer long. I'd STILL rather fix them than use those tubes.
    What kind of flats are you having? Are they all punctures through the tread, or on the inside where a spoke could be poking through, or pinch flats, or what? If you're doing the same thing over and over, there may be an easy fix for it.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velo Pouch!

1 flat every 30 miles WOULD drive me back to Armadillos and latex tubes. Fortunately, the roads around here are semi-clean and with light-weight Hutchensons and regular tubes, I average over 500 miles without a flat.

I had a flat the FIRST time out on Armadillos when a tiny sharp rock went all the way through. Over a thousand miles thereafter without a problem, OTHER than the fact that it is like riding on the rims. No more 'dillos for me unless I have a run of flats that piss me off again!

BTW, my anecdotal evidence supports the theory that flats are more frequent on wet roads.

Tyson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonB
    Velo Pouch!

1 flat every 30 miles WOULD drive me back to Armadillos and latex tubes. Fortunately, the roads around here are semi-clean and with light-weight Hutchensons and regular tubes, I average over 500 miles without a flat.

I had a flat the FIRST time out on Armadillos when a tiny sharp rock went all the way through. Over a thousand miles thereafter without a problem, OTHER than the fact that it is like riding on the rims. No more 'dillos for me unless I have a run of flats that piss me off again!

BTW, my anecdotal evidence supports the theory that flats are more frequent on wet roads.

Tyson
    Armadillos have changed and improved - they are now in 3rd generation with less rolling resistance and lighter.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another possibility would be Panaracer Paselas.....they're no lightweights, but if that isn't an issue, they're belted and offered in wider widths for good lower pressure flotation over bad surfaces. I've used them for road warrior urban landscape riding as well as fire roads. Also, they're moderately priced. Rivendell, Nashbar...they're widely available.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello FarHorizon!

No Mor makes a liquid but they also make a semi-solid inner tube. The tube adds a lot of weight, as previously mentioned, but there are no more flats. The tubes last for years, lenghtening tire life because tire pressure remains constant and normal ranges of cold or heat will not damage them. Also, there is never a need to carry a pump or patch kits. It takes a while to install and remove them but they are reusable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Another possibility would be Panaracer Paselas.....they're no lightweights, but if that isn't an issue, they're belted and offered in wider widths for good lower pressure flotation over bad surfaces. I've used them for road warrior urban landscape riding as well as fire roads. Also, they're moderately priced. Rivendell, Nashbar...they're widely available.
    I will second the recomendation for the Panarace Paselas Tour Guards. I ride the 700x37 on my commuter and the 700x32 on my tandem. I am 260lbs and ride pretty crapy roads; theses are the best "puncture resistant" tires I have used.

The Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy's are also great tires. I have a pair on my road bike and have wore out a pair of tires(about 3,00 miles) with only one or two flats.
    Rivendell Alantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Klein Adroit, Co Motion Big AL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told my wife that i'd show her how to change a tube on the trail so she wouldn't have to worry about flats any more. She said, and I quote; "get hosed, that's what I keep you around for". Well, I was aghast. Being as we don't ride together, I put Armadillo tires & tubes on her bike. No more flats and I dont have to get hosed. All are happy. bk

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late
    Curious. I went and looked. The text says Schaeder and the picture on the box shows a Presta valve. Call and ask before you buy.
    This space open

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thornproof

I wish they made something in between .9mm and 2.x mm in a variety of sizes and forms factors.

I think 1.5mm would be good. IMO, they shouldn't be trying to make the tubes thornproof but rather, should make them pinch-flat proof. That's my biggest problem. You can use liners and even get certain tires to get as close to puncture proof as possible. But that won't stop pinch flatting. And forget slime. Messes all over everything including one's pump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Denver,

You're braver than I am. I usually just head for home and hope the goathead stays put until then so that I can fix the ensuing flat in the comfort of my garage. I may my have to try the Armadillos.

P.S. I just noticed that this thread was resurrected form March! Kind of odd, but hey, the information's all good.
    Last edited by nmichell; 07-26-06 at 10:05 PM.