Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any riders out there with hearing aids?

When I was younger I didn't have 'em. But now that I've started riding again I find that they are a real pain. All I can hear is wind noise! If I take them out, I can't hear anything, which is not bad unless in traffic. Knowing if I've got a shift adjustment to make based on hearing it is a joke. Anyone else dealing with hearing aids? I wish there was some kind of unobtrusive wind screen that would cut down on the noise.

My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad wears hearing aids but I've never heard of him having too many problems with wind noise. I'll see if I can get him to check out this forum or at least give some advice based on his experience.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a hearing aid, but not when I'm riding. Wind noise and feedback would drive me crazy! I don't worry about hearing traffic as I have a rear view mirror that I am learning to rely on. As far as trimming shifts, it is the front that typically needs the trim and I can usually spot that with a quick look. Good luck.

My Bikes
    Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them and have no wind noise. Cut 1/2 inch of pipe cleaner and wrap around the mic part which in my case is just above where the plasic tube fits to the aid.This acts on the same principle as an outdoor microphone which has a hairy-type cover and stops wind noise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hearing Aids

I wear BTE hearing aids in both ears. I have ridden with the aids in and the aids out. When they're in, yes there is a lot of wind noise, which makes them pretty much useless. So basically, when I'm riding, I don't wear them at all, which pretty much means I'm deaf. I do take them with me because you just never know. Some people may say that I'm missing out on sounds like babbling brooks, birds singing in the morning, etc., but I don't hear that stuff anyway even with them in. I have a mirror attached to the handle bars so I can see what's going on behind me and I try to make an effort to be more alert. There are some advantages, that the peace and tranquility of deafness, can provide.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up riding bikes with a deaf friend. There was never any issue with safety because he adjusted to his circumstances.

I'm hoping for you that it's simply a case of getting accustomed to using them.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearing aids are not something new to me, I have been wearing them for over 30 years. Hearing problems are very diverse and difficult to explain, let me just say it's not always just a problem of amplification, which is why they are called aids. Sometimes amplification can actually hinder a person from hearing. I agree riding deaf should not be a safety issue if you stay alert. I mean after all people are driving deaf.
    I do appreciate your concern.

BF Risk Manager
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Syncro Oticon ITE aids. I don't wear them when riding because of the wind blast.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with hearing aids, and yes @ times it is a pain in the azz, but I would rather know what is coming up behind me or on the side of me.
    i also have BTE and do not wear those when i ride do to the sweating as they have a tendecy to quit working do to sweating.
    I wear a pair of phonac both ears , in the ear type hearing aids I have bilateral deafness sensineuro, nerve deafness from when I was in the USMC, lucky because I get them free from the VA.
    This last pair I got are digital and the volume control is on the hearing aid where you can turn it with your finger.
    I usually cut them way down but not completely off. After a while riding with the hearing aids you get use to the amplification from the wind noses and I do keep them turned up enough when I am riding in Traffic, when I get away from the cities and no other riders i turn the volume down way low almost being off.
    The biggest asset I have found is using a mirror, just started riding with one in last few months.
    I use to think it was pretty Geeky, but with more hearing loss what a big help the mirroe is and well worth it, being able to observe everything behind you without turning your head or being distracted from really trying to hear everything.
    If you wear BTe, behind the ear there are sleeve like playtex type covers that you can purchase to war over the hearing aids if you have a problem of them going out do to sweating
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest concern is not the deaf driver or the deaf rider. But I get chills everytime I go to a drive up ATM machine and see braille on the keyboard.

BF Risk Manager
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a bilateral sensineural hearing loss since birth, with my left ear at about a 75% loss and the right at about a 50% loss. Because in part of my hearing loss, I have used a mirror when bicycling for about 30 years now. For hard of hearing riders, I think a mirror is almost a necessity if you ride on the roads.
    Regards, MillCreek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Millcreek. The question I have is I assume most people that use mirrors have them mounted on the left side, either on the handlebars or the helmet. Which do you feel is better. And does anyone use two mirrors?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12
    I agree with Millcreek. The question I have is I assume most people that use mirrors have them mounted on the left side, either on the handlebars or the helmet. Which do you feel is better. And does anyone use two mirrors?
    My understanding is that most people have a dominant eye, making the use of a helmet mounted mirror difficult for some people. It also tends to preclude the use of two helmet mirrors. Although you were probably asking about using a helmet and a bar mounted. I use a helmet mounted.

BTW, here's a link to a site if you want to know which eye is dominant.

http://www.nidek.com/dominant.html
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12
    I have one that is mounted on my glasses, the left side. I bought it via the internet from a recumbent dealer in Wisconsin

Very sturdy and the frame is made from metal and the lense is square. The name escapes me at present but it was posted on B.F.. Cost was around $15.00-21.00, no vibration from the riding and is extremely adjustable. I only use one.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here ya go. Excellent mirror for bicyclist

Take-a-look bicycle mirror

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hearing aid (GN Metrix) in the left. The right is beyond repair. Don't use it in the summer due to wind noise, also, moisture, as in sweat, isn't good for them, at least according to my audiologist. When it's cold enough to wear a balacalva while riding, the wind noise isn't there and neither is the sweat.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

My Bikes
    trying to decide on sport tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Siemans behind the ear aids for each ear. My hearing loss is mostly high frequency sounds such as female voices in noisy backgrounds. I think I can hear cars approaching from the rear fairly adequately.

I prefer not to wear them while riding. The wind sound is not too annoying. I mostly fear one or both might fall off in a fall and I would lose them. At $2400.00
    each that would be pretty expensive to replace. I wish I could afford to spend 1/2 the cost of one hearing aid for another bike.

Sinchi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    come again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear them when I ride, which means I'm deaf. I have tried wearing them when I ride and hear nothing but wind noise, which also means I'm deaf. So I wear a mirror.

Let's ride to the pub!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone chatted about these difficulties with an audiologist?

My Bikes
    trying to decide on sport tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, $2400 apiece for Siemens BTE hearing aids. Did I get taken. How much have others paid for theirs?

Sinchi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as top of the line BTE hearing aid, digital, that price is about right. The question is do you need that type of hearing aid for your particular hearing loss. My hearing loss is profound to severe in both ears, can't hear in crowds, can't comprehend speech very well etc. My brand is Opticon and the two cost $5000, no insurance. But without them I'm as good as deaf.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use dual mirrors on my bent, Hask12. I have hearing aids, the expensive digital in the ears ones but don't wear them while riding because of wind noise and use the old eyeballs instead.

BF Risk Manager
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my Sychro Oticons cost a little bit over $ 7000 for the set. Hearing aids generally have about a 100% markup, so mine cost the audiologist $ 3500. And, unless it is an occupational hearing loss and thus covered by workers' comp, there is no insurance coverage and the patient pays the cost out of pocket.
    Regards, MillCreek

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get in the ear digital at Costco for about $ 1800 a pair. I got mine from the VA for free.
    George