I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grounded... :-(

I have an eye infection, which should get better in a few days, with the medication. Meantime, bright light (in fact, simple daylight) is painful. I'm wearing a patch and glasses (instead of contacts). Given that erases my binocular vision, I don't feel safe riding my bike on the street.

I'm bummed and singing the blues.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to read while you're waiting to get back on the bike: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicks dig a guy with an eye patch.

Az

My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's too bad Gary, but think of all the extra time you've got for online shopping now!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheeeeee! More time to spend reading and posting at 50Plus. I find road miles get in the way of my keyboarding here. In fact, I'm kind of envious. Where can I get an eye infection? Nashbar? Gotta coupon code?

But, for consolation's sake, Gary, consider all your months of riding without much that you've told us in the way of overuse injuries, etc. You must have a good training plan!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Something to read while you're waiting to get back on the bike: http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
    Arrrrrrrrr... beat me to it!

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Az B
    Chicks dig a guy with an eye patch.

Az
    Yeah Man! If you don't know what to do while wearing an eye patch buy this item to help you decide
    http://www.mcphee.com/items/11570.html
    http://www.mcphee.com/items/11463.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I'm bummed and singing the blues.

Da dum da dum, Yeah my doctor said it was true. Da dum da dum, my riding days are temporarily thru. Da dum da dum, but my friends all say, Da dum da dum, the eye patch makes the lady's day.
    Yeah, oh baby... I'm just a singing the no ride, no sight, I got the eye patch blues!
    Last edited by NOS88; 03-08-06 at 06:16 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Da dum da dum, Yeah my doctor said it was true. Da dum da dum, by riding days are temporarily thru. Da dum da dum, but my friends all say, Da dum da dum, the eye patch makes the lady's day.
    Yeah, oh baby... I'm just a singing the no ride, no sight, I got the eye patch blues!

I knew you guys would come through for me! Aye, me matey! I can feel the love in this forum...
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi DG, sorry to hear about your eye problem. I am sure it will clear up quickly.

Long ago when I started comuting by bike, I began to realize that for me, contacts and cycling were not a good mix. I remember going in to see my contact fitter one day and on looking into my eye through his (whatever-they-call-it) optical machine, he commented on all the debris in my eye. When I told him I had just ridden 22 kms into the city, he just nodded his head. But, the real reason I gave up on them when commuting daily was that I had to carry glasses to protect my eyes while riding (usually sunglasses), I had to have reading glasses when wearing contacts and it eventually just became a big PITA carrying two or three pairs of glasses and my contact lens stuff. Anyway, that's my story. I loved contacts and wore them for at least 20 years, but, once I had to carry reading glasses everywhere, they lost their appeal. Jee, where did all that come from

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a very temporary bump in the road.........plus, it will make the next spin on the bike even that much more enjoyable since you will have been starving for a few miles on the bike. On the other hand I guess there is always the dreaded trainer.......

Hey-anybody know how to photoshop Gary's full size picture that Dnvr posted and put an eye patch on it?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Just a very temporary bump in the road.........plus, it will make the next spin on the bike even that much more enjoyable since you will have been starving for a few miles on the bike. On the other hand I guess there is always the dreaded trainer.......

Hey-anybody know how to photoshop Gary's full size picture that Dnvr posted and put an eye patch on it?
    You mean like this? This happened once before, and of course, I memorialized it. That time, it was a fungus. You DON'T want to get a fungus growing on your cornea. Trust me!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

Hope you are back to double vision real soon.

Have some fun with the bike shops....wear the patch in and ask to test ride a Madone!

Bink

sdr
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dee Gee - sorry to hear about the eye, but, it could always be worse...

“You must be the change that you wish to see in the world” Gandhi

Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you heal on the most optimistic schedule, and get back on the road soon DG!

However, I am always mildly amused by people when they react so strongly about not having binocular vision.

I realize that if you are not used to it, it is a hinderance, but there are some of us that have never had binocular vision. The first time I ever saw 3D to know what I was missing was watching the Captain EO movie at Disneyland.

I would be more afraid of the lost peripheral vision (which is about all that my left eye provides)

You definitely don't need binocular vision to ride on a trainer or exercycle in case it does take more than a couple of days to heal.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys crack me up. Hope none of you are in the "helping professions," because your bedside manner leaves just a wee to be desired! OTOH, you have me laughing, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Eye is healing nicely. I still get an immediate and painful "ice cream" headache if I step outside in bright sunlight but that's getting better and I refuse to buy those GIGANTIC sunglasses that old people wear over their glasses.

As for the suggestion that I ride a trainer or exercycle in the meantime, I have duly noted the suggestion, and told myself that makes good sense, and promptly filed it under "maybe later. Ha!"

When they start calling trainers funcycles, I'll be all over them like a cheap suit! And as for monocular vision, yes, I'm getting used to it, but I'm not sure I want to use traffic as a laboratory. My daughter tried to hand me a cup of coffee and I misjudged it.

Hope to be back on the road Saturday. I'm so far behind, I'm almost lapping myself!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the 50+ forum, where people are more thoughtful, more mature.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.G.

Just think of what you are missing. Tonight I will be taking to the trails for a double coffee and a Sub down at the coast- and possibly a pastry aswell- then a quick blast over the hills to see how much mud there is on them after a weeks rain. At least the temperature should be above freezing, but a strong 20mph headwind when I get to the top of the first climb is expected. Its on the back of the Tandem so all I have to do is read the manual to the pilot- Well, I have to make certain at least one of us knows how to get the thing up the hills. Only problem is after last sundays ride- I'd better read him the bit about steering as we fell off again.

Thats what your next bike should be- You don't need vision in the dark when you've got your eyes closed downhill and you can even ride one with a peg leg like Long John Silver

Glad to see your on the mend- but whats it like trying to read the new bike catalogues with one eye?- surely you can't get the full impression of the bike with an eye patch.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shave off all of the beard and just leave the moustache. You'll look like the Hathaway shirt guy in those old ads.
    Wag more, bark less

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

I see you've already begun you're new career. Nice work if you can get it.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll keep an eye out for you while we keep an eye on you.
    Hurried healing to you.