Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Had to share this

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Had to share this

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to share this

The reason I've been cycling so much for the past several months is that I've been enjoying it so much. But the thing that got me back into cycling six months ago was fear. I had been leading a very stressful life with essentially no regular exercise for a decade, and it had taken its toll. The big concern was blood pressure, which was well into the hypertension region. I've checked my BP several times over the past couple of days, and I am now down fully thirty points from where I was six months ago. Resting pulse is down fifteen points, and I'm at the same weight now that I was at in college. It is so good to see tangible results!

I told my wife this morning that it's obvious that buying cycling equipment has direct health benefits. Every time I make a new bike purchase my blood pressure goes down. I've got the data to back it up.
Old 03-07-06, 11:36 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
I told my wife this morning that it's obvious that buying cycling equipment has direct health benefits. Every time I make a new bike purchase my blood pressure goes down. I've got the data to back it up.
Have to swop wives. Or get better Data.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-07-06, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great news!! Kinda makes you want to go out and spend a bundle on bike stuff!!
Old 03-07-06, 07:23 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
That is most excellent news. This is the kind of thing that makes me think of the bike boom of the 1890's, and wondering what things would be like today if the bike had "stuck" as the main means of transportation, at least within the major cities.

Sort of off-topic: The time: Summer, on a 80-90 degree day. The place: Route 126, past Walden Pond in Concord, MA. The situation: Myself, and every other cyclist, crusing past the cars that are all lined up, wating to gain admittance to the Walden Pond state park. Cyclists are cruising along, smiling, enjoying life. And the people in the cars? Well, no one is smiling. I won't get into what else I've observed over the years. Let's just say that I have often wondered how many divorce proceedings have been started right there, in those cars.
Old 03-07-06, 07:31 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
That is most excellent news. This is the kind of thing that makes me think of the bike boom of the 1890's,
Yes Racketmensch......a new bike, the discipline to ride, and the joy of doing so....all conspired, but its your will powering you up those hills. Self-made new man for sure. Stories like yours are gratifying. Thanks for posting.

As for 1890's, the thought of tooling around on a single speed high-wheeler scares the patooties out of me!
Old 03-07-06, 07:49 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great report. Similar story here as well. Just another great reason to get out and ride!!
Old 03-07-06, 08:39 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great news there Raketmensch! I'll bet your cholestrol, and other important signs, look better, too. Congratulations. Imagine if you purchased a tandem things would improve X2...
Old 03-07-06, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good stuff !!! Does this mean we have to "revisit" the idea that a $2,000 bike is twice as good as a $1,000 bike**********
Old 03-07-06, 08:57 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was deathly ill. Two bikes later I was completely (albeit temporarily) cured of
titanium deficiency anemia.

Oxygen is overrated.
Old 03-07-06, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
Imagine if you purchased a tandem things would improve X2...
Ah, well, I've got that covered. Mrs. Raket's birthday is coming up soon, and I'm getting her a nice new road bike of her own. We ride together a lot, and with her new bike we'll ride together even more. I always let her ride in front, telling her that I like to let her "set the pace". The reality is that it's partly that I like to practice drafting, and largely that she still looks pretty darn good in tight lycra.
Old 03-07-06, 11:28 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
....... I always let her ride in front, telling her that I like to let her "set the pace". ....
FYI. That also works well in a canoe. "I'll do all the steering, honey".

Dogbait
Old 03-08-06, 06:49 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
As for 1890's, the thought of tooling around on a single speed high-wheeler scares the patooties out of me!
Nah, I'd tool along on a fixie, which is pretty much what I do now. Of course, certain things had not been invented yet, such as ultra-light, super strong Reynolds frame tubes, but still, riding back then must have been, in the words of the 20-somethings, "sweet".

Fun: I have read that women cyclists back then shocked (SHOCKED!!) victorian era Boston residents by riding without their corsets. (Insert gasp sound effect here.) The bicycle was considered liberating.

Hoo boy. Those victorian era folks would really freak, if they were to take a spin along the charles river today, on a warm summer afternoon. Can't tell you how many times I have almost ridden into trees.
Old 03-09-06, 08:00 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
The reason I've been cycling so much for the past several months is that I've been enjoying it so much. But the thing that got me back into cycling six months ago was fear. I had been leading a very stressful life with essentially no regular exercise for a decade, and it had taken its toll. The big concern was blood pressure, which was well into the hypertension region. I've checked my BP several times over the past couple of days, and I am now down fully thirty points from where I was six months ago. Resting pulse is down fifteen points, and I'm at the same weight now that I was at in college. It is so good to see tangible results!

Now you need ANOTHER bike and about a $1000 buck for bags, racks, and gear and start touring. Double that to include your wife. I think I've got mine talked into the Katy trail this summer if I promise her a new bike and B&B's along the way.
Old 03-09-06, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Diet, Exercise, and life style
Old 03-11-06, 10:48 PM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more bike stuff I buy puts the wifes blood pressure up !