Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally, Some Flats!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Finally, Some Flats!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 07:15 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finally, Some Flats!

OK, so now I feel like a dope. After complaining last week about my morning hill climbs resulting in not accumulating much milage or avg speed, I got to do some flats yesterday. We drove down and did the Blackstone River Trail in RI. It was a great day.

I did 12 miles in less than an hour, and I had to slow down a bunch to get around slow riders, families, and pedestrians. It was great to see so many people out and I even got to talk to an old gentleman riding a 40 year old bike.

I guess those short morning hills really pay off when you get on the flats. I'll stop complaining and just keep riding them now!

Tim
Old 03-12-06, 07:36 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills

It was great to see so many people out and I even got to talk to an old gentleman riding a 40 year old bike.

Tim
Sounds like fun, and it is a darn good thing that YOU aren't an "old gentleman" at only 56 years old. I love it. "Old" is always about 20 years older than I am.
Old 03-12-06, 07:46 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I thought you were talking about flat tires. LOL.
Old 03-12-06, 10:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I thought you were talking about flat tires. LOL.
What are they? I only seem to get wrecked tyres nowadays. Part of my tools and spares on the bikes(s) is now a spare folder to get me home.

Hills are always problem. They get in the way of the enjoyable bits aand slow you down. Only thing is that if you live in my part of the UK- you have to learn to ride them. Then again they are good training for the flat bits that do exist if you look for them. Hills will never get any easier. Only thing is that as you get fitter- they take less time to climb.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-12-06, 11:11 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Hills will never get any easier. Only thing is that as you get fitter- they take less time to climb.
In the end, it always comes "down" to hills and climbing. Yes, Fitness is key, but Attitude is up there. When you start grinding up that hill it is as important to stay on top of your attitude as it is to stay on top of your pedaling. Staying upperbody relaxed, keeping breathing at least semi-controlled, not thinking "Bail-out", knowing your limit and best rhythm for the day, digging just a tad deeper, not thinking how frickin' far it still is to the top, etc.

I remember half way up a climb one day thinking there wasn't enough air left in the universe to feed my next breath when a rider passed me and grunted something about he needed a third lung. I started to laugh despite it all (hardly a knee-slapper but at the time....) and realized things weren't so bad and was surprized that my breathing came back. I shouldn't have been...it was an attitudinal thing.

Just my 2 cents...or 2 shillings or 2 pence or whatever Stepfam.

Shall I quote DeeGee's "mental" signature thing?
Old 03-12-06, 04:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
In the end, it always comes "down" to hills and climbing. Yes, Fitness is key, but Attitude is up there. When you start grinding up that hill it is as important to stay on top of your attitude as it is to stay on top of your pedaling. Staying upperbody relaxed, keeping breathing at least semi-controlled, not thinking "Bail-out", knowing your limit and best rhythm for the day, digging just a tad deeper, not thinking how frickin' far it still is to the top, etc.

I remember half way up a climb one day thinking there wasn't enough air left in the universe to feed my next breath when a rider passed me and grunted something about he needed a third lung. I started to laugh despite it all (hardly a knee-slapper but at the time....) and realized things weren't so bad and was surprized that my breathing came back. I shouldn't have been...it was an attitudinal thing.

Just my 2 cents...or 2 shillings or 2 pence or whatever Stepfam.

Shall I quote DeeGee's "mental" signature thing?

I suppose it is my enduro training that I work to, but Hills to me are always hard. Don't mean slopes, but the only place you will use energy is on the hills. We get used to taking them within our capabilities and then we still have something left for the final bit where it gets just that bit steeper. We had a hill today for about 3/4 mile at 12 to 15%. stayed at 85to 90 % of my energy output (Max heart rate) and saved just that little extra for the final 20% on loose scree. This is the type of hill that we have in our region so we cannot go at full bore all the way up. Then on top of that we will have another 2 or 3 like it on the ride. We have a rider in our group that will slaughter us on the hills- or at least the first 3. He is fit, but any ride over 35miles and he is then the one at the rear. No problem in that as 35 miles is still a good ride offroad.

I must admit that I say that we Don't have a mental attitude- we do, but it is not something we think about. We feel defeated if we walk a hill, and I mean defeated. I suppose that is my attitude- I don't do walking when out on a bike ride. I ride within my physical capabilities and still get a good workout for the whole of the ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-12-06, 06:37 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Alright!! There is no better training than climbing hills. Keep up the terrific work!!