Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adult kids still riding with you?

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I'm curious how many of us 50+ have adult kids that still ride with us. I've got two sons but can't get either to ride anymore. It breaks my heart. Yet, my wife says to continue giving them space and maybe they'll come back to it of their own accord. How's it working for others?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Maybe this has been discussed before, but I'm curious how many of us 50+ have adult kids that still ride with us. I've got two sons but can't get either to ride anymore. It breaks my heart. Yet, my wife says to continue giving them space and maybe they'll come back to it of their own accord. How's it working for others?
    I think it more relevant - do the kids still ride at all, with or without us.

My 25 year old daughter commutes by bike daily in Chicago, her 23 year old sister gets around Philadelphia by bike where she is going to college. My 23 year old son is not interested in bikes anymore.
    None of them rode with me except when they were in bike seats. Bikes meant independence as well as transportation and fun for them. Group riding has never appealed to anyone in my family.

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that I'm lucky. Still ride with my son about once every two weeks - try to keep up. We both plan to ride the charity ride in Phoenix at the end of the month - 74 miles.

Jim
    age 68

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abqhudson
    I guess that I'm lucky. Still ride with my son about once every two weeks - try to keep up. We both plan to ride the charity ride in Phoenix at the end of the month - 74 miles.

Jim
    age 68
    My youngest daughter regularly rode until she was 16 but that was 6 years ago. However my other daughters fiance does ride with us but not regularly enough to say he can beat me up the hills. He used to be able to, but that is what trying to buy a house and keep it together does for you.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 25 year old son is periodically staying close enough to us that he can ride with us. Whenever he is here - he will usually ride with my wife and I (who are on a tandem). My wife and I are usually riding when he's here - so we just let him know when we're going and that he's welcome - if he'd like to come. Even if he's just home (from Japan) for a week - he'll usually go with us. When he's here for a month or so - he'll usually go once a week with us (even if he stayed out late with his friends). Into a headwind - we can usually go a little faster than him - and he'll draft. But when there is no wind or we climb much of a grade - he can leave us behind.
    Steve A.

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 22-year-old son is still my best riding buddy. We are both more of the freeride persuasion and our abilities are pretty well matched (he's a bit cautious for his age and I'm a little reckless for mine ). My only regret is that he is away at college on the other side of the state, so we don't get to hang out as much as we used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 31 year old daughter and son-in-law ride and pull a trailer with their 2 boys in it, expecting their third, I don't know how they will manage that. My 24 year old son still rides with me once in a while, gave him my Trek 930, I put together an Azuki SS and he claimed it and is now talking about getting a road bike. I can't get my wife to ride though!
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    Raleigh Supercourse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 35 year old son often rides with me. He is a half-time stay-at-home- dad and that puts a crimp in his riding time. I expect when the weather breaks, grandma will be glad to babysit and we'll get a few miles together. He sometimes rides with a faster group with our local bike club. For the last 15 years we have planned a summer bike trip with friends and plan to do so this summer.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 20-year old daughter is in San Antonio at Trinity University. She has my extra American Express Card to be used only in emergency. In three years she has never had to use it until the other day an emergency happened . . . she informed me that I had just bought her a LeMond Reno!

Great! She always rides with me on borrowed bikes when she's at home here in Oklahoma. She's bringing her bike with her so we can ride together during spring break.

Very neat!

Tyson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 25-year-old son does every chance we have (he lives about 300 miles away). My daughter (20) never really enjoyed cycling much anyway, and she's busy with college. I don't think she's been on a bike in two or three years.
    As a bonus, though, my wife, who rode with me occasionally out of duty for 20 years, has developed a new interest in it. For awhile, into my 50s, I was too impatient to ride with her. I didn't ride for about a year, dealing with family and work things, and when I started again, she could keep up with me. We've enjoyed it so much that we've compromised on the speed and manage to get it done. I still get antsy occasionally, but I'll never be fast again, and there's not much point in being the fastest 61-year-old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am that 35 year old part-time stay-at-home-son/father. How cool is it to have a 50+ or more like 60+ father that still wants to try and beat you down a long hill!? Looking forward to the next breakfast ride and bike trip.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghobe
    I am that 35 year old part-time stay-at-home-son/father. How cool is it to have a 50+ or more like 60+ father that still wants to try and beat you down a long hill!? Looking forward to the next breakfast ride and bike trip.

Very, very cool!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got five adult children. Three of them ride.

My youngest daughter owns, among other bikes, a Burley tandem. The tandem is rigged kid-back for her and her 4 year old. Her husband rides a single with a Burley trailer for their 2 year old. Their family rides with my wife and I a few times each year.

My two sons are 29 and 30. I last rode with them mountainbiking on Father's Day. I still have the scars from that ride on my left leg. They also both own some seriously fast MX motorcycles. I can't keep up with them physically and I'm not about to try some of the stuff they routinely do. I'm thinking that our next ride may have to be on the road

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of my three ride, but not "with" me. I cannot keep up. They do come back to check on the old man. Ain't that sweet? They are 20 and 17.

By the time I started back riding in 2003, my oldest was interested in other things. Four wheel drive pickups and labrador retrievers.

Bink

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter is 19 and away at college. My son is 17. When my daughter is in town, on Sundays, we all ride to church together. It's kind of a family tradition. We've done this since they were 4 or 5.

Also, my son and I are contemplating one of the Sustainable Energy in Motion Bike Tours through the Oregon countryside this summer.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode from San Francisco to Los Angeles with my 27 year old daughter last year, in AIDS/LifeCycle. Her fiancee was there, too, but 'way up ahead with his buddies. It was great. She's not going this year, but maybe next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son and daughter both ride with me whenever they are home and the weather is half way decent. She is 23, he is 27. It's great. They still rely on me to keep their beasties in working order, LOL.
    Caruso

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    My son and daughter both ride with me whenever they are home and the weather is half way decent. She is 23, he is 27. It's great. They still rely on me to keep their beasties in working order, LOL.
    Caruso
    Do they wear helmets? Just curious, given your propensity in another thread not to wear a helmet. What about your kids?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My oldest son is 38, has three teenagers and works full time. So riding with him is unlikley because of his busy schedule.
    Youngest son is 31, still single but has been working 70hr. weeks...so riding is not high on his priority list.

I'd love to ride with them but chances are it won't happen anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, DnvrFox. I responded to your comment in that other thread - and, no, none of us wears helmets. It's not a propensity - I don't wear helmets, nor do they. They both have one laying around the house somewhere, but never wear them. When we ride, it's usually on a path at some state park or on the path along the Schuylkill in Fairmount Park (Philadelphia) or along the Hudson in NYC. When I ride with them, Im not out to break speed records. We probably average 8-10 mph. Im sorry; I just dont sense sufficiently the danger inherent in participating thusly without a helmet. Weve yet to have an accident, see an accident, come upon an accident, or even have a close call, and some of these parks are quite crowded.

Im not advocating against helmets, but I think their necessity is generally overblown.

When they were learning, helmets were the rule for them - I did/would have done anything for them to avoid some of the bruises and pains I endured in my childhood. But, they are grown, now, and choose for themselves. So far, they choose not to wear helmets, but continue to choose to share their riding experience with me - I feel lucky.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 kids-21,19 and 16. The 21 and 19 year olds are runners in college so that has kept them off the bike to run. However, the 21 year old expresses interest in riding and I suspect will try to emulate Dad at some point. She just seems to enjoy doing a wide variety of things and I can see her doing the organized rides. That is a good prompt for me to offer to get her out more. Thanks for the thread-note to self: focus on getting other family members more involved without being too pushy!!!!!