Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wireless computers

Can any one give me the name or model # for a wireless computer. It doesn't have to be fancy and capable of dowloading to my computer, but one that will at least keep track of total miles, and also a separate trip indicator? Any ideas?

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your quick response! The price is right. Wow!

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - i have Sigma 500s and 800s, wired and wireless, in use on my bikes... they are simple computers, but have worked well over the past year... one nice thing is that you can reset the odometer (total mileage) after changing the battery...

- but i'll be honest and point out that while wireless is cool, all it introduces is the need for yet another battery (CR2032)... the wired version works well, is dependable, and looks good if you wrap the wire aesthetically...

- IIRC, you still get the wired harness even with the combo deal (could be wrong, but then again, you can also buy a rear harness for use on the trainer)

have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, you have been very helpful. I am new to biking (as an adult), AND I would like to keep track of my mileage over this spring, summer and fall. There are so many computers on the market, I have to admit I found myself very confused. If, I go to my local bike shop, I know I will pay quite a bit for one of these computers. So, again thanks for your input!

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - - but i'll be honest and point out that while wireless is cool, all it introduces is the need for yet another battery (CR2032)... the wired version works well, is dependable, and looks good if you wrap the wire aesthetically...

+1 on this.
    I actually prefer wired. As was pointed out, you'll need another battery. Also, if you notice, most of the pros, from photos I've viewed, use wired, I assume because of simplicity and to minimize "cross chatter" in a tight peloton. My $.02

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
    +1 on this.
    I actually prefer wired. As was pointed out, you'll need another battery. Also, if you notice, most of the pros, from photos I've viewed, use wired, I assume because of simplicity and to minimize "cross chatter" in a tight peloton. My $.02
    + another. I use wireless, but one of the batteries goes off and the damn thing does not work. The wired computers are less hastle to set up, last longer, and give exactly the details you require. plus the fact they are cheaper.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    + another
    I have a Vetta RT77 (wired) on my road bike and on my commuter bike. Very reliable.
    I tried a wireless a couple of years ago but it would act up occasionally - like when riding near high tension power lines. It was part of the "package" when I sold my Raleigh last year.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Cateye CC-CD300DW. I bought it because I have used the wired Cateye Astrale 8 and since it was/is trouble free, wanted to stay with the same brand. I like the three screen display which shows speed, cadence, ride time and distance. I use it in conjunction with a Polar F6 wireless Heart Rate Monitor and there is no crosstalk or skewed readings on either unit. The retail price is $149.95 but you can get one HERE for $94.00 ($101.00 with shipping). If you can do without wireless, The Astrale 8 shows the same info as the CD300DW but you have to switch screen views. I have seen the Astrale 8 on sale recently at either Performance or Nashber for about $30.00.

Dogbait

My Bikes
    Ridley,Viner,Pinarello,Fuji,Javelin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computers are great but don't be slave to them. At the end of the ride check out the final tally. Of course if you're into cadence, speed, etc. by all means focus on the screen. I have quite a few computers and they all have candence count; that's my thing - pedal stroke. The CatEye double wireless CC-CD3000DW mentioned above is fantastic; haven't had it long enough to have battery problems but I'll keep my eye on that issue.

Also in the stable are Campy ErgoBrain, Shimano Flight Deck, and several Sigma's (Ya, I have several bikes). They are all good with some reservations mostly to do with my eyes - not being able to read the screen depending on light conditions. Unfortunately you don't find that out until you've installed the computer and go for a ride. Store lighting is not the same as sun light and shadow on the open road.

Talk to other riders in your area with computers - experience counts the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your input! I am so inexperienced in these matters and way behind the times. The last bike I owned was a Schwinn 3 speed "Traveler". This bike was given to me as a gift in 1964. I actually rode this bike and all of it's original equipment till 1983.(except for the tires) Then my son used this for one summer and then, after much neglect, it finally became non-functional. I recently bought a diamond back outlook mainly because I can't continue running because it just is too much of a counter-productive exercise for someone of my age. I really enjoy bike riding, and at 55 years of age, it seems to really work for me.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lwillbiker2
    Thanks, you have been very helpful. I am new to biking (as an adult), AND I would like to keep track of my mileage over this spring, summer and fall. There are so many computers on the market, I have to admit I found myself very confused. If, I go to my local bike shop, I know I will pay quite a bit for one of these computers. So, again thanks for your input!
    If you just want functional, I always recommend a Cateye Enduro. They have all of the features that you're asking for and they have a thicker wire that is less apt to break so they're a little more reliable than almost anything else. If you buy it at an LBS, try to talk them into free installation - should only take them 5 or 10 minutes at most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the Topeak computers......wired and wireless available.
    http://www.topeak.com/products/computer_lead.html

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... I use a Polar 720i, and my wife Linda uses a 725x. We had Cateye CD-3000W (the double wireless) and just had too many problems. The Polars aren't cheap, but they do work great.

Steve

My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Cateye wireless and it works perfectly. Only problem is the numbers on the screen are quite small and hard to read.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

My Bikes
    2007 Gary Fisher Piranha & ~ 1984 Ross Mt Whitney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I normally have two, sometimes three "wireless" computers on my bike.
    • I have an inexpensive cateye wireless to show speed & trip mileage
    • Garmin 76 GPS - "maps" where I go & has good trip stats, I don't reset the odometer on this one.
    • Lowrance/Brunton IFinder GPS (sometimes) shows streets/parks etc

I've been using my Garmin GPS as my main odometer since my previous "wired" cycle computer gave up the ghost after many years.