Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good News/Bad News

The old stress meter has been swinging wildly lately. If you have kids you can probably appreciate this a little more:

Good News: It's a Saturday and one of my regular cycling days for longer rides plus it's beautiful day in NC-perfect for riding!
    Bad News: I'm not doing the mountain ride I had scheduled for today as one of my daughters was is in a car wreck last night, totaled one of our cars-we spent a lot of the night at the hospital.

Good News: She and her passenger are fine, seat belts and air bags work and it was the other driver's fault.
    Bad news: They got home from college yesterday and were going to go to Florida for spring break today but have now decided not to go (bad from her perspective but probably not mine!!).

Good News: She really wanted a different vehicle anyway.
    Bad News: The totaled car was worth a lot more to us than the "totaled" value.

Good News: My other daughter comes home from college today.
    Bad News: She's driving in today and then flys out tomorrow for Florida for spring break......worry, worry........

Good News: I got a "job offer" this week in the midst of my Company's reorganization.
    Bad News: It's a different/less significant role than what I've gotten accustomed to doing for 20+ years.

Good News: The new job is closer to my house, less headaches and leaves more time for riding!!!
    Bad News: Not sure how long this job will be around.

Good News: My Company asked me to represent them and invite a customer to play golf in the Wachovia Pro-Am event in early May.
    Bad News: I was trying to "give up" golf and devote that time to riding more.

Good News: I've played golf 40+ years so hopefully it will not take much time to find enough of a game to avoid complete embarrassment.
    Bad News: Not only will I be playing golf in front of thousands of people the event is right before some challenging centuries I'll be training for, like the Assault on Mt Mitchell and it's really tough to find the time for both.

Good News: A bike that I did an "impulse" bid on eBay has now become available to me for a really, really good price.
    Bad News: Not sure the stable needs another bike plus the funds probably need to go to replace the totaled vehicle.

Good News: Tomorrow's weather is going to be nicer than today's and I should be able to get in plenty of miles.
    Bad News: I'm sure my daughter will want to spend time looking for another car!!

Good News: I'll let her shop via the internet and ride and ride...........

Hope all is well in 50+ land.

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Grief! as Charlie Brown would say!!!!!

You have certainly had a years worth of action packed into a week.

I was a truly beautiful morning for riding in lower NC. 60 and foggy to start, but cleared nicely for the last 20 miles or so and warmed up a bunch more.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Plenty of time to be mad about the car after all noses are counted and everyone is safe. We have had a rash of drunks driving the wrong way on interstates in the Charlotte area.

Hey, I always get passes to the Wachovia for the week, I'll be looking for a golfer in a pedicab instead of the golf cart.

My sympathy to you for the one heading to spring break.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed (and admiring of you, jppe) as you list so many daily life bending events/decisions and yet keep some focus on riding. So much for the old notion of one's 50's being an easeful way towards retirement. As the parent of college students, I empathize with you riding the ups and downs of their lives, not always able to be much more than an onlooker, yet sometimes still called in as active participant and life-guard...not to mention financial backer and co-signer!

I don't think you want or need consolation........but I send what we do best....encouragement, positive thoughts, and mutual respect for someone very engaged by his life and that of others.

**And glad your daughter's all right! (Everyone with young drivers hates insurance companies.)
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 03-11-06 at 05:40 PM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, glad to hear your daughter is OK. That's number 1. As for the weather, central NC has the same weather, fantastic. Made to order for mountain biking, or any biking. Mid to high 70's, some clouds, great.
    About your job, I've been in a similiar situation. Is it possible for you to talk to your boss? If you've got a safety net and you're concerned about your current situation, is your boss the type of person you can be honest with or will it trickle upstairs and cause you grief or problems later on.
    We had a great ride today in this great weather. As soon as we were finished and pulled into the parking lot, the clouds opened up. It was like God was saying, OK, finish your ride with your son, but make it quick, then I'll let it rain.
    About your wrecked car, would your daughter settle for a new bike?
    Just kidding.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

You sure we're not twins separated at birth? I can so relate to many of the things you've written, except your kids are a bit older than mine. Good luck!

Good news: My eyes are healed, and I can wear my contacts now.
    Bad news: The 'storm of the year' is dumping several inches of rain on San Diego as I write this.

Good news: The rest of the month is wide open, in terms of my schedule, so I should get lots of riding in, which is good, since I am way behind on my annual goals.
    Bad news: The rest of the month is wide open, in terms of my schedule, which means I'm not getting enough clients at the moment, which means I am going to be way behind my annual fiscal goals.

What the hell. Let's just keeping putting one foot in front of the other until the Big Guy says it's time to come home.

Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well-written, big guy. Glad your daughter is OK. Everything else is just stuff.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

Keep your focus, keep your faith, and the rest will fall into place.

Bob
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Post jppe. Glad to hear the one daughter is okay. Sad that the other won't stay here to keep her company rather than going off for springbreak, but then that is one of the "rights of passage"

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - i had the good news/bad news thing going about a year ago... but very, very glad to hear your daughter is OK following the accident... (someone was looking out for me when i was 18 - my 350cc Kawasaki slammed into the right rear panel of a Volvo at 45mph [guy turned left in front of me] - and i only got some road burn)...

- as suse sez:

People first.
    Money second.
    Things last.

:-)

I moved here to Arkansas 2 years ago from Western Wyoming.
    My Bikes
    I have a Raleigh Ram 2.0 and I love it!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear

**And glad your daughter's all right! (Everyone with young drivers hates insurance companies.)
    YOu don't have to have young drivers to hate insurance companies. They are all pirranhas! Any and all insurance companies! (hope I did not offend anyone)