Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First half century in 20 years

A little while back there was a thread here about the pros and cons of having a bike computer. I don't have one, but I got a nice illustration today of why I might want to change my ways.

Today was the nicest day we've had in upstate New York in months. Mid-fifties, light winds, sunny skies. I headed out on the road with no particular plan, and just rode. No major adventures along the way, except one flat I had to repair. (Note to self: I'm sure that the paper-thin racing tires that come on a brand-new Madone are great for their intended purpose, but for training on sometimes-iffy roads I need something a little more sturdy.) Finally turned for home, and when I finally got back I checked the time and noticed I'd been out more than three hours. Could I have ridden a half-century? I didn't have any idea. Well, I needed to find out, of course, so I got in the car and drove the route. Pulled back into the driveway about an hour later, having driven exactly 49.5 miles!

So I got back on the bike and rode another half a mile.

This probably shouldn't quite count as a half-century, but I'm gonna take it. Boy what a good day! The last time I rode that far in one day was in 1986. It'll be a lot less than twenty years before it happens again!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raketmensch,
    Just off the wall here, but a good tire to consider when the Hi Perf (also stands for perforation...lol) tires are worn are Continental Gator Skins...they're a nice balance of durability, weight, and suppleness. At least I like them...others undoubtedly have their favorites...And moderately priced.

Congratulations....that .5 miles is a "gimme". The bike doesn't make the rider, but a sweet one like yours sure won't hold you back either. And lots of sweet-weather months ahead of us, too!!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Sounds like a great ride, and how cool that you can bask in the after glow of a half century. Have some pie!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Have some pie!
    Actually, I'm gobbling a very large plate of pasta as I type this. Very satisfying!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that new Madone was purring right along. Doesn't it make the miles click by a little easier and faster?

I've found computers to be especially helpful when following a que sheet with mileage markers. It helps to make sure you're on the right route.

I've found Continental Grand Prix 3000's to be a good "all-weather" tire. Theyre a good weight and are certainly better than slicks for wetter roads!! You can get them off eBay for a good deal and in colors to go with your frame as well!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketmensch
    Actually, I'm gobbling a very large plate of pasta as I type this. Very satisfying!
    Thats the problem with new riders- you never get the priorities right. Long rides require preparation. That route has to be well planned in advance and in fact you probably did 50 miles on the bike, as a car will take a shorter route on the corners, that a bike cannot take. Back to those priorities, When you take your first long ride. plan the route a bit, look at the map and find a route that has just enough hills without being too steep or long, choose a route and that is away from the traffic and most important- at around 30 miles find a town that has an Irma's in it or at least a bakery. Then after the ride you can sit and relax without having to get to the stove and cook.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan