Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe This Will Help One of You Guys

Back in October, my back went to hell in a rowboat. In one fell swoop, I went from riding centuries to riding in the electric cart at the grocery store. I was on crutches for a month. Maybe more.

I'll spare you the boring details, but if you've got back problems, you may want to consider two things that really helped me a lot.

1) Yoga. Ya gotta be careful to stretch without overdoing it. A good instructor or video will show you how.

2) Pilates. It's pretty subtle, but I find it really helpful. You learn to build core and back strength. And a good teacher will show you how you ought to be positioned on the bike.

I'm still taking baby steps, but I did a 12-mile pain-free ride today, and that really bolsters my spirits.

By the way, I realize these suggestions are not a substitute for a physician's care. But I just thought I'd put it out there for your thoughts and discussion.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is currently enrolled in 4 years of study that leads to "alternative medical" treatments. I'm learning that while at times there is no substitute for conventional medical treatments, in many cases there are options.

The best news is that you're responding and even better your back on the bike without all the pain. Keep the spirits and the activities up!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After crashing & breaking my hip 2 yrs ago, my accident insurance (ACC) started my re-hab with aqua-therapy , which is doing exersizes in a tepid swimming pool, the water gives a resistance & also supports your weight so in water at chest level you can walk & move without the crutches.I found it quickly gave me back the streangth to include the more conventinial physio.
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I'm still taking baby steps, but I did a 12-mile pain-free ride today, and that really bolsters my spirits.
    Fantastic! Here's to continued progress.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I'll spare you the boring details, but if you've got back problems, you may want to consider two things that really helped me a lot.

1) Yoga. Ya gotta be careful to stretch without overdoing it. A good instructor or video will show you how.
    That's great progress. You are wise not to push the issue and increase your cycling time gradually.
    I think its interesting, my physician prescribed physical therapy, which turned out to be a number of stretching exercises for my neck problems. Apparently the muscles try to compensate when an injury occurrs to the spinal area.
    Here's hoping your progress continues.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator