Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having hip pain, especially after the purchase of a new bike. I have set the new bike up similar to my old bike, but the seat is one inch farther forward in its most rearward position. My old bike is a Cypress and the new bike is a TreK 7.3 FX. Pedaling in lower gears without using much leg strength seems causes less pain.

My pain seems to be from IT Band Syndrome and or hip Bursitis. I have been doing the stretching exercises and went to a specially trained Massage Therapist today. The treatment today indicatied how tight the muscles in this area is.

Has anyone else experienced this type of hip pain? If you have, what changes did you make to correct the problem?
    Last edited by edp773; 03-22-06 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and it was the result of a similar situation... seat more forward than old setup. I had a friend (physical therapist & biker) watch me ride. He said that my pedal stoke was too long and that my hips were rocking too much. Hence, lowering the seat less than 1/4 inch solved my problem. I thought this strange, but did the old "place your heel on the pedal and pedal backwards... if your hips rock, then the seat is too high" test. Lo and behold... my hips did rock! This may or may not help your situation, but it doesn't cost much to try it out. If it doesn't work, see if you can find a rehab or physical therapist that rides and ask that person. They really are trained to see things in how the body operates that most of us don't see. Good luck.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks NOS88 for the information. I have always set my starting seat height with my heal on the pedal at its farthest point away and my knee straight. I will give this pedaling backwards method a try and let you know if it works for me.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some ITB problems last season, but in my case the pain was on the "outside" of the knee, and only when it passed through a certain plane. I think it was just plain old overuse (two centuries in two weeks), but I have been using a foam roller since then to try and keep it loose.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jazzy. I am doing the stretching and heat pads so far at home. My problem is definately not from over use. My mileage has fallen way down since this problem started and I am lucky to get 12 - 15 miles on the road, plus less than two hours on the trainer per week. What type of roller are you using?