I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Little Trouble in Paradise

Out today for my fourth ride on Sparky, my new (used) 2004 Giant Cypress SX. (Sorry, Big Paulie, I couldn't quite get my arms around your name suggestion! Speedo indeed!)

Anyway, I'd been marveling at how quiet the bike is. Even when coasting, not a peep. Suddenly, ten miles into an 18 mile loop, I notice I'm hearing a clink on every revolution of the cranks. I also feel a slight vibration in my left pedal at the top of the cycle, which coincides with the clink.

A quick look-see on the side of the road reveals nothing to my untrained eyes. I keep going, and notice that the creaking clinking noise sometimes stops when I'm in the smallest chainring up front, but not always. Changing gears in back seems to make no difference.

So, I made it home without incident, and now I have to figure out How to Address Crank Noises. I've done a search and saw some great suggestions, plus, of course, I have the bicycle maintencne book with Lots of Pictures. I'm just a bit gunshy, based on my adventures trying to reverse the handlebar stem!

Otherwise, the bike is performing right up to my hopes/expecations. My butt and the saddle appear to have already worked out most of the details on a non-aggression pact, my wrists and hands no longer tingle after I adjusted the saddle and the handlebars. Only remaining problem is some tingling in the feet after about 7-8 miles, but even this is fairly innocuous.

Just hated hearing that CRANK CLINK! Sigh!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just developed a little "rattle" every time I do a revolution of the cranks. I have determined this to be a bad bearing in my right pedal. So far it is so unnoticeable that I am ignoring it and am praying for a "healing."

[EDIT]

I also once spent a whole day diagnosing a similar thunk and after using all the expertise garnered over 7 years and thousands of miles of bicycling, I determined it was the heel of my foot hitting the frame.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-24-06 at 08:43 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

dck
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same odd noise on my Trek 7300. Had a tough time locating it. Turned out to the the end of the front derailleur cable was hitting the crank arm every time it went around. Bent it out of the way...problem fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I notice I'm hearing a clink on every revolution of the cranks. I also feel a slight vibration in my left pedal at the top of the cycle, which coincides with the clink."

Check the crank bolts. Retorqueing the crank bolts is probably the single most important step in a bike shop's standard 30-day new bike checkup. If the crank bolts weren't snugged up after the bike was assembled, the left crank in particular is likely to have worked its way loose on the bottom bracket spindle. (Most of the force you apply to the right crank goes into the chain; all of the force you apply to the left crank has to go through that left crank/spindle connection.) You can easily ruin a left crank (and possibly the spindle) by riding on it when the bolt's loose. It's a cheap fix now but expensive later.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gar,

It could be any number of things, and the above are all good suggestions. Now my $.05 (inflation). Since you report hearing it (mostly) while in your large chain ring, might try tightening all of the chain ring bolts. It's easy to do with only an allen wrench, and I guarantee that you won't screw it up if you remember "lefty loosey, righty tighty." Another easy thing to check is a tight link on your chain. Just peddle backwards and watch your RD. If it jumps about the same place on the chain every time, you've found it. Wiggle the chain sideways gently at the tight link like you're choking a snake, and that should fix that. Of course, you'll report back what you found.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm grateful for all the tips about my creaking crank. (That sounds funny, but it's not!)

Tomorrow I'm going to go over everything listed above and see what I can figure out. I'm wondering if this noise is somehow the result of the work the mechanic did when I took the bike to the LBS yesterday. Perhaps he didn't tighten the QR just so, or perhaps one of the other things above will turn out to be the problem.

Because I don't yet really understand how all these parts work together, when it began clunking I had quite a bit of angst, not knowing whether continued pedalling was making anything worse. I was nine miles from my starting point at the time. I rode gently and kept having these fantasies of the left crank simply falling off the bike at some point. But because of where I was, I had little choice but to limp back to my starting point. Of course, it looks like that was an over-reaction on my part, but who knew?

Anyway, I gots to learn this stuff, whether I wants to or not. So thanks for the ideas and I'll let you all know what happens.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duct tape

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoe lace tips hitting the crank arm can cause a clinking noise. I know from experience.
    Gary

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duct tapes no good. Pulls the hairs off when removing and too painful. Going faster so the Noise gets left behind is better.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Duct tapes no good. Pulls the hairs off when removing and too painful. Going faster so the Noise gets left behind is better.
    Wouldn't that require different gearing?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to rule out weird problems, such as a chainring fastener striking the chainstay.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loose change in your jersey pocket?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, no joy tracking down the clunk. I can't tighten the crank itself, it seems to require the World's Largest Allen Wrench, which I don't have. But I've tried everything else mentioned, without luck. Phooey!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your pedal and toe clips if you still have toe clips on the bike. If it was a shoe lace, you would hear a click on the downstroke portion of your rotation.

My 2004 Cypress made a simular noise without vibration around the 400 mile mark. The noise was intermittent and eventually went away. Of course I checked the problem out thoroughly. If you are feeling a vibration and the problem continues, keep looking for a solution.

There is a slight chance that this may be a charateristic of the 2004 Cypress. I believe Bikepacker67 has a 2004 Cypress also, so you may check and see if he has had the same experience. But if you are feeling a vibration, I would believe that something must be loose.

Good luck
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    So far, no joy tracking down the clunk. I can't tighten the crank itself, it seems to require the World's Largest Allen Wrench, which I don't have. But I've tried everything else mentioned, without luck. Phooey!
    Get a metric bolt with a hex head that will fit the allen head. Put two nuts on the threaded end of the bolt and tighten them together real tight. You now have a tool you can use with a torgue wrench that costs less than two dollars.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    So, I made it home without incident, and now I have to figure out How to Address Crank Noises.
    Unless I'm on a real personal friendship basis with them, I usually address Crank Noises as "madam," sometimes, "miss." As I become more familiar with them I ususlly use the less formal, "maam." I have been known to say "yes dear" occassionally, but a word of caution here: don't refer the noise maker as "crank"-- at least not within earshot. Don't ask me how I know--I just do.

John in Oregon
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    Unless I'm on a real personal friendship basis with them, I usually address Crank Noises as "madam," sometimes, "miss." As I become more familiar with them I ususlly use the less formal, "maam." I have been known to say "yes dear" occassionally, but a word of caution here: don't refer the noise maker as "crank"-- at least not within earshot. Don't ask me how I know--I just do.

John in Oregon

2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I've just developed a little "rattle" every time I do a revolution of the cranks. I have determined this to be a bad bearing in my right pedal. So far it is so unnoticeable that I am ignoring it and am praying for a "healing."
    Quote Originally Posted by edp773
    My 2004 Cypress made a simular noise without vibration around the 400 mile mark. The noise was intermittent and eventually went away.
    Good luck
    Ah ha!

Healings DO happen!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-26-06 at 03:04 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Ah ha!

Healings DO happen!
    I like that. LOL.

I have made a career out of healing mechanical things. If only I can figure out how to heal myself.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be anything........but usually they are always the simplest thing.

It could be the crank hitting the front derailleur but I would bet it is chain related. Have you ridden it in the rain or on wet roads by chance? That can cause chain noises the next time or two you ride it. It could be a "dry spot" in a link where minor lubing will fix it. Or, it could be a tight link as someone else suggested.

Second guess would be a strap or shoe string hitting something and causing the noise. How about the cable that comes out of the front derailleur. Is it bent so it's not touching the crank or anything else by chance??

I had an issue with the rear derailleur swinging in too close and clicking the rear spokes once but seriously doubt that's the problem here. If that were the problem it would show up when in your smallest front chain ring and in the biggest gear next to the spokes in the rear. It also shows up when you're not pedaling so that should not be it.

My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by detrieux
    Shoe lace tips hitting the crank arm can cause a clinking noise. I know from experience.
    Mine do that too, in spite of all the chain lube I've gotten on them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in doubt, make sure your crank is securely fastened to the crankshaft and not loose and wobbling a tiny bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the foot tingling, try an arch support with a metatarsalm pad. They help a lot. Birkenstock makes two good ones. Both About 50 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the foot tingling, try an arch support with a metatarsal pad. They help a lot. Birkenstock makes two good ones. Both About 50 bucks.