Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What shorts to wear for old f*rt?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am returning to cycling and my bony butt no longer feels as comfortable on the road bike saddle as it did when I was 18. I have always rode in blue jeans or regular shorts with briefs (yea I know - never wear underwear). Now that I am no longer a slim trim teenager who never felt butt pain, I need to find better biking shorts. I would feel like an idiot wearing the lycra/spandex kit shorts that are so popular now but I definitely need to find something more comfortable to wear. I have not tried changing saddles yet. So what are your experiences with the baggy type bike shorts or mountain bike shorts? Any suggestions? I am not style driven and most importantly don't want to take the abuse from my wife by wearing obviously padded bike shorts with all the personnal parts advertised like the snug fit lycra/spandex shorts . I would absolutely never hear the end of that . Are any of the loose fit biking shorts something you can wear in public without looking like a yuppie wanna-be? I would like specific brand/model recommendations.
Thanks.
Pete in Louisiana
Old 03-30-06, 09:29 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Sorry, can't help. I prefer to look ridiculous in my lycra/spandex, pearl izumi's. I found that extra large fits my extra lard frame real nice!
Old 03-30-06, 09:31 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
For a long trip, nothing beats regular bicycle shorts, but on shorter trips I am perfectly comfortable with microfiber walk shorts over regular briefs. Having a well broken-in Brooks Pro saddle helps.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-30-06, 09:36 PM
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Mountain bike shorts are great. I love having pockets and looking like a normal person while in the grocery store. Also look into mountain bike shoes if you enjoy walking as well. There's really no need to look like a neon spandex leprachaun and walking like you've been hobbled while running errands.

Another option is the cycling brief. It's basically a sheer cycling short that you wear under whatever other shorts you want. I've seen them at a couple different lbs for ~$20-40. I picked up a couple last winter to try them out and they work great.

Az
Old 03-30-06, 09:44 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not being an old f*rt, I couldn't answer your question.

However, being a young and sprightly 66yo, I wear lycra bibs, which fit much better and easier on me than regular bicycling lycra shorts. I also wear a lycra jersey.

But, then, since you are an old f*rt, I wouldn't know what you should wear.

Why don't you ask in the old f*rts forum?
Old 03-30-06, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Being beyond Old f#rt status (73), I wear lycra. Yup, the padded short are great, the fit is great and as long as you're on the bike in comfort, that's what seems to be the issue.
Maybe your wife would appreciate you wearing lycra . . . surprise her . . .
Old 03-30-06, 09:57 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Yes - like Az B I use either cycling briefs under other shorts, or mountain bike shorts...you get the snug lycra and comfy faux chamois pad inside with an appropriate, modestly baggy outer layer. And if you don't want to look too stylish ("like a yuppie wannabe") wear a T-shirt with the sleeves torn off on top! Can't recommend a specific brand for the shorts as I got mine at Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada.
I just wear regular clothes for my 5 mile commute, and the bike clothes for longer weekend rides.
Old 03-30-06, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bike shorts for everything.

Don't listen to anybody but me: MOUNTAIN BIKE SHORTS. I've worn them for at least 10 years, and they're every bit as comfortable as my best Lycra--because they have what amounts to a pair of Lycra shorts inside a baggie, street-short looking shell. I've heard people say they're uncomfortable (good ones aren't; most people who say that haven't tried them), hot or even too heavy (I can't worry about four ounces of fabric when I'm carrying 10 pounds of flab).
Old 03-30-06, 11:31 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Old F*rt" is a state of mind more than physical. I see so many 20/30/40 year olds who would look a h*ll of a lot worse than most of us in lycra. Besides, handsome is as handsome does...and I'd like to see some of my younger neighbors go up our local Cemetery Hill as fast as some of the local old f*rts I sometimes ride with and oftentimes get dropped by. Besides, most of the time we old f*rts are going so frickin' fast that they can't tell what we look like and mistake us for the young guns we think we are. (Never let 'em see you gasp!)

And besides, many of us are at an age where who gives a d*mn what it looks like as long as it works!

And finally besides, one of these afternoons I'm gonna take off not only forgetting my helmet and water bottle, but probably also forgetting my shorts.....now that's an Old F*rt for you. "Look at that guy in pink lycra, its like a second skin..oh, now I know what that saddle groove thing is for!"
Old 03-31-06, 12:42 AM
LMCM wannabe

Bikes: Peugot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear Netti Underniks underneath a cheap pair of light weight swimming shorts, the type with the mesh liner inside. The swimmers are baggy (cool) and when they get wet (rain or sweat) they dry in a matter of minutes. They also have a short leg which suits me, unlike mountain bike shorts whose trendy long legs hang below my knees (uncool). The Underniks were the only cycling shorts I could find NOT designed for riders with the physique of a giraffe!!!
Old 03-31-06, 12:43 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
Mountain bike shorts are great. I love having pockets and looking like a normal person while in the grocery store. Also look into mountain bike shoes if you enjoy walking as well. There's really no need to look like a neon spandex leprachaun and walking like you've been hobbled while running errands.

Another option is the cycling brief. It's basically a sheer cycling short that you wear under whatever other shorts you want. I've seen them at a couple different lbs for ~$20-40. I picked up a couple last winter to try them out and they work great.

Az
Agree about the briefs and they can be worn under any shorts you want.

The mountain bike shorts- or any shorts give me a problem in that they get hung up on the nose of the saddle. Not a great idea when you want to sit on, or get off the saddle and can't.

Nothing beats the cycling specific lycra shorts though. Come in normakl shorts or in the bib form. only thing is to get the 8 panel version and with a good liner.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-31-06, 05:57 AM
loves rail-trails

Bikes: 2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little grouchy today, are we?

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Not being an old f*rt, I couldn't answer your question.

However, being a young and sprightly 66yo, I wear lycra bibs, which fit much better and easier on me than regular bicycling lycra shorts. I also wear a lycra jersey.

But, then, since you are an old f*rt, I wouldn't know what you should wear.

Why don't you ask in the old f*rts forum?
Old 03-31-06, 06:20 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bikingbets
A little grouchy today, are we?
The OP stated:

"I would feel like an idiot wearing the lycra/spandex kit shorts"

"without looking like a yuppie wanna-be?"

"I am not style driven"

Then, we get that "old f*rt" bit that implies anyone in the 50+ forum is an "old f*rt"

Essentially stating that those of us in the 50+ category who do wear Lycra are old f*rts, idiots and look like style-driven yuppie wanna-be's.

And I bet I have at least 10 years (maybe 15) or more on this guy. Anyone call me an "old f*rt" gets a punch in the nose.

So, yes, I guess I am grouchy!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-31-06 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-31-06, 06:22 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Lycra bibs here for at least 20 years. DnverFox is right on for a young guy!

Old 03-31-06, 07:53 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the Lycra bibs, they are very comfortable and you can pretend to be a Greko Roman Wrestler when you take your shirt off. My kids, especially my 13 yr old daughter start yelling at me if I walk around in my bibs, my wife, however, lights up and loves them.
Old 03-31-06, 08:26 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Ditto what Roccobike said about extra large spandex for my extra lard. Only the best padding. However, around our small town I usually wear a pair of mountain bike type shorts that have the spandex and chamois inside and look like cargo pants on the outside. Mine are Pearl Izumi but I don't think they make that specific style so you'll have to look around. I have also worn them on tour and you feel much less conspicuous going into Bubba's Hamburger Shop for lunch.

Remember...the good part about dressing up in a helmet, tight fitting funny colored clothes, and speedy looking sunglasses....most of your neighbors won't even know who you are at 20 mph. Really.
Old 03-31-06, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I really didn't mean to insult anyone. Just poking fun at myself. You need to understand that my wife would be merciless if I wore the tight biking shorts!!! I am 53 and have been lurking in the road bike forum side with all the "racers" doing 400 watts, cadence of 300 rpms . Quite humorous at times. Learned a lot over there but they have more of a focus on racing/training rather than excersize/enjoyment type riding. I know there are many here that are far more experienced riders than myself that even though older could easily dust me on the road. Man I am out of shape. This 50+ forum is great and I really value the sharing of info here. Again - a big thanks.
Pete
Old 03-31-06, 09:05 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by PeterK
Thank you for all the replies. I really didn't mean to insult anyone. Just poking fun at myself. You need to understand that my wife would be merciless if I wore the tight biking shorts!!! I am 53 and have been lurking in the road bike forum side with all the "racers" doing 400 watts, cadence of 300 rpms . Quite humorous at times. Learned a lot over there but they have more of a focus on racing/training rather than excersize/enjoyment type riding. I know there are many here that are far more experienced riders than myself that even though older could easily dust me on the road. Man I am out of shape. This 50+ forum is great and I really value the sharing of info here. Again - a big thanks.
Pete
A belated welcome.

Enjoy the 50+ forum.

Everyone else but me is pretty nice here. Even I am nice at times.

Best of luck with your bicycling. BTW, besides Lycra, I also wear shorts, jeans, t-shirts and a whole bunch of other stuff. I even use a large rubber band around my pants leg. It depends on the bike I am riding and the purpose of my ride, and the weather.
Old 03-31-06, 10:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the welcome.

Re. the shorts. Personally, I prefer loose fitting, mid thigh lengh running shorts. It is an old habit that I use for darn near all physical exercise. They are comfortable, dry quickly, etc. Bob
Old 03-31-06, 11:27 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete
Welcome, Pete. We're a relaxed group, and if you can remember a couple of things, you'll fit in fine. First of all, don't call (or even imply) that DnvrFox is an old phart. He can get a bit grumpy on that point.

Second, we crave pictures, so start carrying a light digital camera on your bike and if/when you have a terrific ride, get a picture and post it. Third, we also crave reports of apres-ride consumption, whether that be beer or pie.

As for bike shorts, I started biking nearly a year ago, and I have one cheap pair of 'official' bike shorts which I only wear occasionally, under a pair of basketball shorts. Most of the time, I wear the same undies I'd wear to do anything else. I haven't had much problem with chafing, but then my distances are typically 10-20 miles, with the occasional weekender at 30+ miles.

I'm thinking of getting some bibs or something, but I'm also a cheap old phart who weighs every financial decision (even one this small) for so long, the darn thing usually goes out of style or is no longer manufactured or whatever by the time I get around to purchasing whatever it is.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-31-06, 12:59 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Second, we crave pictures, so start carrying a light digital camera on your bike and if/when you have a terrific ride, get a picture and post it. Third, we also crave reports of apres-ride consumption, whether that be beer or pie.

That camera is important, but the pies are obglibatory- we like to see how the other half eats As in the attachments- BUT until better is found-- Irma's Pies Rule

As for bike shorts, I started biking nearly a year ago, and I have one cheap pair of 'official' bike shorts which I only wear occasionally, under a pair of basketball shorts. Most of the time, I wear the same undies I'd wear to do anything else. I haven't had much problem with chafing, but then my distances are typically 10-20 miles, with the occasional weekender at 30+ miles.

Going commando is the only way- so this is why you need cycling shorts or underpants. And you wonder why you ride as a loner Gary-- misread that-sorry

I'm thinking of getting some bibs or something, but I'm also a cheap old phart who weighs every financial decision (even one this small) for so long, the darn thing usually goes out of style or is no longer manufactured or whatever by the time I get around to purchasing whatever it is.

Been cycling for 15 years, and the style of Cycling shorts has not changed in that time. Colours may have but Black with a logo is fine. Those bib shorts are far more comfortable by the way.

Good luck and keep us posted

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Licra shorts here too. Covered by a light pair of nylon shorts. I wouldn't drink my Chardonay in anything else.
Old 03-31-06, 01:17 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet another +1 for lycra........especially the heavier weight, 10 oz lycra which feels snug and supportive and, I read somewhere, aids muscle function. Different makers seem to have different fits in mind so you may have to try a few...."sigh"--just like saddles.

I wear bibs and regulars....in cooler weather knickers are good. Performance's better shorts work for me, Nashbar's do not. Pearl Izumi also good--at least, for me. Pearl Izumi also puts out jerseys in what they call their "club fit"....for those of us who've gained a bit of waist line even as we've lost a bit of hairline.

And PeterK......welcome, stick around, share.........notice the red star some of us have--it means we're more credible than the others.
Old 03-31-06, 01:37 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I really didn't mean to insult anyone. Just poking fun at myself. You need to understand that my wife would be merciless if I wore the tight biking shorts!!! I am 53 and have been lurking in the road bike forum side with all the "racers" doing 400 watts, cadence of 300 rpms
It can be a hoot reading some of what is posted in that forum. I spend a lot of time over there as some of the regulars are really pretty funny.

Back to the subject of spandex/lycra/etc... Linda got me into trying a pair of bike shorts a couple of years ago. Prior to that, I thought I'd never be seen in a pair either. But, after trying them, I cannot imagine using anything else. Once you get past being self-consious about them, you'd love them.

I'm trying to get used to bibs at the moment. I've been buying them and my shorts from these guys for $30. They're high quality, durable and comfortable.

Give them a try. Your wife may just like them

Take care,

Steve
Old 03-31-06, 03:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pie??? Here I am just trying to get into shape and you want pie pictures??? Now beer is another story. I read through the 3 pages of after-ride consumption and that is definitely the proper way to complete a ride!
I did just order some Andiamo padded bike briefs to try from Branford Bike based upon some suggestions here. As for the shorts/bibs, give me time. I have seen the posts by Underwear Nazi and how he tears up people like me and I do understand that there is a reason they have been making biking shorts for so long. Being the self conscious type, shaving my legs and wearing show-all shorts is not really my thing .
As to the ride pictures, you have to understand that I am in Southern Louisiana and it doesn't get any flatter than that. I know this site is like the woodworking sites I go to and pictures are mandatory to be accepted into the community so I will try to oblige.
I am really envious of our British contributors as the countryside would be so nice to bike in. My last visit was 5 years ago on business and so many of the coworkers rode bikes to work. Of course gas was about $6 gallon equivalent even then. Can't imaging how much it is now.
Thanks for the welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.